OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 05:05:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukrainian Orthodox prayer book in english.  (Read 9716 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »

How large is it?

Roughly 8" tall by 6" wide. Almost 900 pages. Quite hefty and definitely not pocket-sized, I actually leave mine at home when I go to church. I have heard rumours that they will be producing a lighter version that is not so comprehensive--really this contains more than the average layperson would ever need--but checking with my sources, that project isn't off the ground yet.

It's not 8 x 6.  You made me dig up a ruler and actually measure it.  It's just a tad taller than 6" (~6.5') and wider than 4" (~4.25) and about 1.5" thick.

Wink

....a bit thick for a pocket, but, nonetheless comprehensive, and well worth having.

Liza- He's talking about the much more comprehensive "Good Shepherd" prayerbook published by UOCC (Canada). Which I believe is also out of print. It seems like this book is almost a Ukrainian equivalent to the Greek Synekdemos.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »

Ohhhhhh!

Thanks for the clarification.

;-)

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »

How large is it?

Roughly 8" tall by 6" wide. Almost 900 pages. Quite hefty and definitely not pocket-sized, I actually leave mine at home when I go to church. I have heard rumours that they will be producing a lighter version that is not so comprehensive--really this contains more than the average layperson would ever need--but checking with my sources, that project isn't off the ground yet.

It's not 8 x 6.  You made me dig up a ruler and actually measure it.  It's just a tad taller than 6" (~6.5') and wider than 4" (~4.25) and about 1.5" thick.

Wink

....a bit thick for a pocket, but, nonetheless comprehensive, and well worth having.

Are we still talking about the UOCC prayerbook, published in 2007?? I have one in my hand right now, and though I don't have a physical ruler, the online ruler at iRuler.net, adjusted to my screen resolution, measures the book at 7.5" tall, 5" wide, 1" thick. My previous measurement was more rough, based on an icon I have of that size.

The measurements you give remind me more of the previous edition, that was released pre-2006.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »

I was already corrected two posts earlier....therefore, the "Ohhhhhhh....thanks for the clarification..." comment.

Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »

I was already corrected two posts earlier....therefore, the "Ohhhhhhh....thanks for the clarification..." comment.

Wink

My apologies. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:10:53 PM by John of the North » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2011, 03:13:55 PM »

No problem!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Christophoros

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »

Recently learned a revised, larger second edition of this prayer book was published in 2013 and is available from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada's Consistory Church Goods Store. Here's some pics of the new edition:

http://www.pinterest.com/pastyrCA/%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B9-%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B8%D1%80-%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA-good-shepherd-prayer-book/

It's easily the most impressive prayer book I've come across (despite its use of contemporary English).
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »

It's easily the most impressive prayer book I've come across (despite its use of contemporary English).

I might have to buy this...

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »

There appears to be a Greek Catholic bishops coat of arms in the front, is this a reissue of a Greek Catholic text cleaned up for Orthodox use?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2014, 02:59:32 PM »

On closer inspection I think I can make out Peter Mogila in Cyrillic on either side of the Coat of Arms.  Odd that he made use of the Latin hat.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2014, 04:21:57 AM »

On closer inspection I think I can make out Peter Mogila in Cyrillic on either side of the Coat of Arms.  Odd that he made use of the Latin hat.
He was Latin (or rather, Roma(i)n(ian)) after all.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »

I can't seem to find this for sale online. Has anyone been able to locate a website that sells this?

Also, is the older version back in print?

Thanks!

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »

I can't seem to find this for sale online. Has anyone been able to locate a website that sells this?

Also, is the older version back in print?

Thanks!
www.uocc.ca
NOTE: For prices, products and our NEW Church Goods Catalogue, contact the Church Goods Store at churchgoods@uocc.ca or call 1-800-804-6040.

9 St. John's Avenue
Winnipeg, MB
Canada R2W 1G8
1-800-804-6040
churchgoods@uocc.ca

Tags: prayer book 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: