OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:46:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukrainian Orthodox prayer book in english.  (Read 9293 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: February 06, 2010, 01:04:34 AM »

Does anyone know were I can get a Ukrainian Orthodox prayerbook that uses English (especially side by side with Ukrainian)?

I have several copies of a book called "Chlib Dusi" which uses English alongside phonetic Slavonic.  Would this be the same as a prayerbook used by Ukrainian Orthodox?  I am specifically thinking of the liturgical rubrics.  I want to know exactly how the Ukrainian and Russian style of services and prayers differ from eachother?

Thank you for any help.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:10:11 AM »

I was given one as a child and use it to this day. (Actually, every member of my family has one.)

You can purchase it on the UOC of USA's website here.

I just ask that you use it in love, as I know that you're not particularly fond of the Ukrainian language. Ukrainian or not, it is a prayer book of the Church.

P.S. This will not contain the rubrics of the UOC. Just the prayers.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:10:56 AM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:58:16 AM »

I second Handmaiden's request for respect, Robb!   Wink   ...although I truly believe your deep rooted Faith would not allow you to disrespect an Orthodox prayer book, no matter the language or origin.

I have that exact same book and I love it.  I have purchased one for each of my godchildren, too.  Some are too young to read it yet, so, I have it in safe-keeping for them. 

During their last visit, I had His Eminence Archbishop Antony, His Grace Bishop Daniel, and our priest Otetz Pavlo sign them.

Hopefully, they will become family heirlooms, to be used and cherished not only by my godchildren, but, by their children, some day.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:41:29 AM »

Thank you for this info.

I can assure you that it would never cross my mind to disrespect or damage a prayerbook. 

Just because I have some issues with Ukrainian nationalism does not mean that I am against the Ukrainian people or their Church.

In fact,  I am very interested in learning about the liturgy that is practiced in UOC parishes and how it differs from that of the ROC.

Perhaps if I could understand the differences between the Ukrainian and Russian forms of Orthodoxy then I could learn to appreciate the need for an autocephalous Ukrainian Church more.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 03:14:11 AM »

Robb  a great prayerbook in Ukrainian and English is the one already mentioned here..the molitobnik from boundbrook.  The chlib dusi (bread of life in english) is an old standby once given to children at their first confession/first communion (yes there were orthodox parishes that gave first communion to children at the same time as their first confession..and yes = have a humeral veil from an oca parish that used to have adoration and benediction during lent).  the chlib dusi slavonic is written in  latinica using the slovak alphabet.  now for ukrainian versus russian liturgics it would depend on the parish.  the small ones i grew up with have very unique rubrics and small traditions.  in my home parish (uoc usa) the priest uses the oca liturigicon and i run the doors and curtain like rocor.  he would keep them open the whole liturgy and the flock thanked me for reintoducing what they knew.. presanctified is different than rocor/oca.  start a new thread on the liturgical/rubrical differences between rocor and the uoc usa and = assure you my response will be as complete as possible.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:15:42 AM by username! » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 02:47:34 PM »

Does this prayerbook use contemporary English or traditional "Elizabethan" English (e.g., "thee" and "thou")?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 04:22:47 PM »

Does this prayerbook use contemporary English or traditional "Elizabethan" English (e.g., "thee" and "thou")?

Iconodule, do you mean the "Chlib Duci" or the other prayerbook, the one I had mentioned earlier, in contemporary Ukrainian? The contemporary one uses "You" in its English translation, and it has modern forms like "You do" rather than "Thou dost" etc.

Robb, write to Vladyka Daniel (Zelinsky), VladykaDaniel@aol.com. He is the person who kindly sent me a copy of my Ukrainian prayerbook back in January 2007. I still have it in my icon corner and use it for daily prayer. (BTW, back in 2007 Fr. Daniel was still a hieromonk; I understand he was made bishop of the canonical autocephalous UOC-USA some time in 2008 or 2009). If you want to use conventional mail, the address is: His Eninence Bishop Daniel, St. Volodymyr Cathedral, 2230-50 West Cortez St., Chicago, IL 60622 Tel: (773) 278-2827.

Love never fails.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »

Iconodule, do you mean the "Chlib Duci" or the other prayerbook, the one I had mentioned earlier, in contemporary Ukrainian? The contemporary one uses "You" in its English translation, and it has modern forms like "You do" rather than "Thou dost" etc.

Robb, write to Vladyka Daniel (Zelinsky), VladykaDaniel@aol.com. He is the person who kindly sent me a copy of my Ukrainian prayerbook back in January 2007. I still have it in my icon corner and use it for daily prayer. (BTW, back in 2007 Fr. Daniel was still a hieromonk; I understand he was made bishop of the canonical autocephalous UOC-USA some time in 2008 or 2009). If you want to use conventional mail, the address is: His Eninence Bishop Daniel, St. Volodymyr Cathedral, 2230-50 West Cortez St., Chicago, IL 60622 Tel: (773) 278-2827.

Yes Fr. Daniel Zelinsky is Bishop Daniel of the UOC-USA Ecumenical Patriarchate.  You can buy the Molitobnik/Prayerbook from South Boundbrook for 25 dollars I believe.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 04:37:20 PM »

This prayerbook uses contemporary English.  Contemporary but not gender neutral or horizontally gender neutral. 

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 09:32:41 AM »

I am looking at the prayer book at this very moment! 

I have bought many copies and given them out.  You will love it! 

While I don't recommend anyone read during Divine Liturgy, I sometimes give it to my oldest niece and ask her to follow along in English, what is being said in Ukrainian.  She's only 10, and she manages to do a good job.

As for His Grace, Bishop Daniel - I was blessed and lucky enough to be at his consecration and enthronement last year. Both events were a "once in a lifetime" and unforgettable.

His Grace will also be visiting my parish this coming weekend for Palm Sunday!   laugh

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »

I've got another question about this prayer book- does it contain akathists or canons?

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »

Chlib, just doesn't ring any bells ,Dushi I know[soul ]Chlib in crkveno slovenski is what....Thanks ,,, Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »

Chlib is bread.

—St. Isaac of Syria
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »

Chlib is bread.

Hleb Oh Ok Thanks... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »

Liza- since you have the book, could you tell me if it contains akathists or canons, and which ones? Thanks.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 11:01:51 AM »

Certainly. 

My one copy is at home, the other in in my car.

I'll run out to the car at lunch and get it.

—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »

The Prayer Book is 400 English + 400 Ukrainian = ~800 pages total.

Contents:

Daily Prayers:
    Morning prayers
    Prays during the day
    Evening Prayers
Preparation for Confession and Communion:
    The Holy Mystery of Repentance
    Prayers and Instruction Regarding Confession
    Prayers of Preparation for Holy Communion
The All-Night Vigil
    Great Vespers
    Great Matins
The Divine Liturgy (St. John Chrysostom)
    Anaphora of the Liturgy of St. Basil the Great
    Prayers following Holy Communion
Propers for the Eight Tones and Great Feasts
    Resurrectional Propers
    Paschal Propers
    Pentecostarion
    Propers for the Great Feasts
Supplementary Material:
    Memorial Litia
    Moleben
    The Small Catechism
    Religious songs
    Paschalion

—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »

Thanks, Liza. So I guess no akathists, but I believe a moleben is an abridged canon. Could you say whether the "Paschal Propers" include the Lenten troparia/ kontakia?

monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »

Also, I've heard that the UOCC is going to do a 2nd edition of their prayerbook (The Good Shepherd).  Its much larger than our prayerbook, about the size of Hapgood.  The Ukrainian text differs a little from what the UOCofUSA uses. You can email them at:  churchgoods@uocc.ca to place an order.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:11:34 PM by monkvasyl » Logged

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 12:28:58 PM »

Also, I've heard that the UOCC is going to do a 2nd edition of their prayerbook (The Good Shepherd).  Its much larger than our prayerbook, about the size of Hapgood.  The Ukrainian text differs a little from what the UOCofUSA uses. You can email them at:  churchgoods@uocc.ca to place an order.

Thank you, Father! This sounds like a great option. Does it include the same material as the UOCofUSA book? What style of English does it use? Thanks.

monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 12:42:58 PM »

Thank you, Father! This sounds like a great option. Does it include the same material as the UOCofUSA book? What style of English does it use? Thanks.

Not a 100% on what type of English is used,tho I think its modern.  Here's a link to the original press release for the original edition with an additional link to some photos:  http://www.uocc.ca/en-ca/faith/articles/parishlife/anewprayerbook.asp

I know it does contain the Akathist to the Mother of God.

As a word of advice, pre-order it now.  I made the mistake when the 1st edition came out, it went into out-of-print real fast.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:51:13 PM by monkvasyl » Logged

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 01:32:12 PM »

Thanks, Liza. So I guess no akathists, but I believe a moleben is an abridged canon. Could you say whether the "Paschal Propers" include the Lenten troparia/ kontakia?

Yes, they do.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Subdeacon Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 02:46:39 PM »

...I believe a moleben is an abridged canon.

It's more a series of excerpts from Matins, arranged as a service of supplication.  A canon may be inserted into a moleben but this is optional, and uncommon in ROCOR.  It may be more common to use the canon as part of the moleben in the Ukrainian tradition, but I don't know.

In Christ,
M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »

Looks like this prayer book is out of print for now. At least it's unavailable at the UOC-USA website. Is there any other place to get it?

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »

Yup.  Seems to be unavailable. 

I will check my church this Sunday and see if we still have a copy for sale.

I will also check my own stash.   I bought quite a few and have been passing them out.  Not sure I have any left, though.

I'll let you know.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 03:19:05 PM »

Yup.  Seems to be unavailable. 

I will check my church this Sunday and see if we still have a copy for sale.

I will also check my own stash.   I bought quite a few and have been passing them out.  Not sure I have any left, though.

I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot Liza.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 04:06:28 PM »

Stopped by church today, and grabbed the very last one!!!  Smiley

—St. Isaac of Syria
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »

Stopped by church today, and grabbed the very last one!!!  Smiley

Liza, you truly will be a saint!  Literally spreading the word of God and the services of His Church by giving these prayer books out is amazing.  This is the best prayer book I've ever used, and I've yet to find a better one.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »

Out of print? I'm glad I have one!

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 01:22:09 PM »

I'm sure it will get updated and reprinted.  No worries.  Smiley

—St. Isaac of Syria
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »

I'd love to learn some prayers that were distinct to the Ukraine. There's a rich heritage there.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »

I'd love to learn some prayers that were distinct to the Ukraine. There's a rich heritage there.

It's not the Ukraine, it's Ukraine Smiley  Sorry I had to be the first to correct ya, I'm sure others would have too.  I don't know, lots of Ukrainian stuff that I am aware of is shared with the Ukrainian Greek Catholic traditions.. that is western Ukrainian stuff.  I'm no expert, ie, I only know what I see here and what people from UA tell me.  Rich traditions in that much of it is a crossroads of Eastern and Western spirituality so you get some little traditions that you won't find say in the Moscow Patriarchate..

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »

Any news about the reprint of this prayer book?
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 12:22:19 AM »

What are the contents of the UOCC prayer book?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 12:44:49 AM »

What are the contents of the UOCC prayer book?

What specifically would you like to know?? The actual text of the prayers?? Or just a general table of contents?

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 12:51:43 AM »

Table of contents. I wouldn't ask anyone to transcribe the text of the prayer book in its entirety.  Smiley

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2011, 01:56:08 AM »

Table of contents. I wouldn't ask anyone to transcribe the text of the prayer book in its entirety.  Smiley

I actually have the morning/evening prayers already transcribed on my computer. It's a fairly basic set.

Table of Contents
1. Daily Prayer
  • Morning Prayer
  • Prayers for various needs
  • Evening Prayer
2. A Brief Catechism
  • God's Ten Commandments
  • The Two Great Commandments of God
  • The Nine Commandments of the Beatitudes
  • The Church Commandments
  • Truths of the Faith
  • The Holy Mysteries
  • Christian Virtues
  • The Seven Corporal Acts of Mercy
  • The Seven Spiritual Acts of Mercy
  • Major Sins and their Opposite Virtues
  • Sins Against the Holy Spirit
  • Conditions for a Good Confession
  • Instruction about Prayer
  • When to Make the Sign of the Cross
  • Greeting Orthodox Clergy
  • The Feasts of the Church
  • Fasts Prescribed by the Church
  • Days for the Special Commemoration of the Departed
  • Days on which Weddings are Not Permitted
  • Festive Salutations
3. The Order of Great Vespers
4. Matins
5. Preparations for the Holy Mysteries of Confession and Communion
  • The Holy Mystery of repentance
  • Examination of Conscience According to the Ten Commandments
  • Rite of Preparation for Holy Communion
  • Prayers before Holy Communion
6. The Divine Liturgies of Our Holy Fathers John Chrysostom and Basil the Great
7. Prayers of Thanksgiving Following Communion
8. Changeable Portions of the Liturgy
  • For the Daily Services
  • Resurrectional Tones
9. From the General Menaion
10. The Lenten Triodion
11. From the Pentecostarion
12. From the Festive Menaion
13. Akathists
  • To Our Lord Jesus Christ
  • To the Most Holy Theotokos
  • To Saint Nicholas
14. Molebens and Memorial Litia
  • Moleben to the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Theotokos
  • Moleben of Thanksgiving
  • Memorial Litia
15. Supplementary Materials
  • Epistle and Gospel Readings
  • The Order of Lesser Sanctification of Water
  • Index of Fixed Feasts and Selected Saints
  • Paschalion
16. Religious Songs
  • Let us Humbly Enter
  • O Great God
  • We Beseech You O Virgin
  • How great Thou art
  • O Heavenly King, Almighty God
  • The Mournful Mother
17. Carols
  • God Eternal
  • There was Great Joy
  • Heaven and Earth
  • Heavens Great Star

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 05:32:39 AM »

I actually have the morning/evening prayers already transcribed on my computer.
English only, or also in Ukrainian? If they're available in Ukrainian online, I would be very interested.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 08:29:29 AM »

English only, or also in Ukrainian? If they're available in Ukrainian online, I would be very interested.

This prayer book has Ukrainian on the left, and English on the right.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »

I didn't transcribe the Ukrainian, as I don't speak it. Smiley

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 03:41:45 PM »

If someone wishes for the prayers in Ukrainian, please let me know.

I will be happy to type them up and post them.

—St. Isaac of Syria
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 06:22:40 PM »

I actually have the morning/evening prayers already transcribed on my computer. It's a fairly basic set.

Table of Contents
1. Daily Prayer
  • Morning Prayer
  • Prayers for various needs
  • Evening Prayer
2. A Brief Catechism
  • God's Ten Commandments
  • The Two Great Commandments of God
  • The Nine Commandments of the Beatitudes
  • The Church Commandments
  • Truths of the Faith
  • The Holy Mysteries
  • Christian Virtues
  • The Seven Corporal Acts of Mercy
  • The Seven Spiritual Acts of Mercy
  • Major Sins and their Opposite Virtues
  • Sins Against the Holy Spirit
  • Conditions for a Good Confession
  • Instruction about Prayer
  • When to Make the Sign of the Cross
  • Greeting Orthodox Clergy
  • The Feasts of the Church
  • Fasts Prescribed by the Church
  • Days for the Special Commemoration of the Departed
  • Days on which Weddings are Not Permitted
  • Festive Salutations
3. The Order of Great Vespers
4. Matins
5. Preparations for the Holy Mysteries of Confession and Communion
  • The Holy Mystery of repentance
  • Examination of Conscience According to the Ten Commandments
  • Rite of Preparation for Holy Communion
  • Prayers before Holy Communion
6. The Divine Liturgies of Our Holy Fathers John Chrysostom and Basil the Great
7. Prayers of Thanksgiving Following Communion
8. Changeable Portions of the Liturgy
  • For the Daily Services
  • Resurrectional Tones
9. From the General Menaion
10. The Lenten Triodion
11. From the Pentecostarion
12. From the Festive Menaion
13. Akathists
  • To Our Lord Jesus Christ
  • To the Most Holy Theotokos
  • To Saint Nicholas
14. Molebens and Memorial Litia
  • Moleben to the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Theotokos
  • Moleben of Thanksgiving
  • Memorial Litia
15. Supplementary Materials
  • Epistle and Gospel Readings
  • The Order of Lesser Sanctification of Water
  • Index of Fixed Feasts and Selected Saints
  • Paschalion
16. Religious Songs
  • Let us Humbly Enter
  • O Great God
  • We Beseech You O Virgin
  • How great Thou art
  • O Heavenly King, Almighty God
  • The Mournful Mother
17. Carols
  • God Eternal
  • There was Great Joy
  • Heaven and Earth
  • Heavens Great Star

Now that's a good prayerbook. Way more comprehensive than my "Pocket Prayerbook for Orthodox Christians."

Questions for anyone:

How large is it?
Would there be any problems with using a Ukrainian prayerbook to follow along the liturgy in an Antiochian parish? I know that they both use the Byzantine Rite, but are there any jurisdictional differentiations that I should be aware of?
Are there any prayerbooks which are even more comprehensive?

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »

I am looking at one right now...

It's about 4" x 6"....and just shy of being 2 inches thick.

—St. Isaac of Syria
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 12:09:48 AM »

How large is it?

Roughly 8" tall by 6" wide. Almost 900 pages. Quite hefty and definitely not pocket-sized, I actually leave mine at home when I go to church. I have heard rumours that they will be producing a lighter version that is not so comprehensive--really this contains more than the average layperson would ever need--but checking with my sources, that project isn't off the ground yet.

Would there be any problems with using a Ukrainian prayerbook to follow along the liturgy in an Antiochian parish? I know that they both use the Byzantine Rite, but are there any jurisdictional differentiations that I should be aware of?

My understanding and experience from Antiochian parishes is that it is optional but not necessarily universal for certainly litanies to be skipped (from after the Gospel reading to the Cherubic Hymn, if I recall correctly). Furthermore, the Antiochian tradition is different at times from the Ukrainian/Slavic tradition. Not everything will be the same, but it will close enough to get by.

Are there any prayerbooks which are even more comprehensive?

Possibly, but I'm not sure what more a person would need. Smiley

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »

How large is it?

Roughly 8" tall by 6" wide. Almost 900 pages. Quite hefty and definitely not pocket-sized, I actually leave mine at home when I go to church. I have heard rumours that they will be producing a lighter version that is not so comprehensive--really this contains more than the average layperson would ever need--but checking with my sources, that project isn't off the ground yet.

It's not 8 x 6.  You made me dig up a ruler and actually measure it.  It's just a tad taller than 6" (~6.5') and wider than 4" (~4.25) and about 1.5" thick.

Wink

....a bit thick for a pocket, but, nonetheless comprehensive, and well worth having.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags: prayer book 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: