OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 05:59:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Language used at Serbian OC?  (Read 688 times) Average Rating: 0
El Batman

Faith: Window Shopping Roman Catholic

« on: May 30, 2014, 05:52:23 PM »

hi,

I have a St Petka SOC in San Marcos, CA that is very close by. It's less than 15 miles.

What language do they use? I'm guessing Slavonic for music. How about the prayers and sermon?

I called a while back but the guy who answered the phone had a thick hard to understand English accent. I thought I would check with this board first and then call them up later if I can't get a response here.

Thanks.
El Batman

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »

Ok, so I just called them 1min ago with no answer.  I just wish they had a website.  Cry
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 06:23:46 PM »

Welcome to the Forum!!!

The Serbian churches I've visited did utilize Church Slavonic for the singing, and the sermon was in Serbian.

I got the Slavonic parts, but, the Serbian went well over my head.  Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:04:28 PM »

A: left coast Orthodoxy is a lot different than east coast

That said, my two parishes (buffalo and pittsburgh ) have about 50% or so, possibly leaning To more english with the rest in OCS(mostly like godsposi polimu and the like). The sermon is in english and serbian, and the readings are done the same, or just in english.
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »

Oh, feel free to PM me with any questions you may have
El Batman

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 11:57:34 PM »

Thank you both for the help.

Thanks.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 12:32:41 AM »

I know I've heard this before but would you care to elaborate? I can't remember.
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 12:25:08 PM »

I know I've heard this before but would you care to elaborate? I can't remember.

I am only repeating what I read here, because i admit to having no personal experience. that said, I know that Fr. Nebo said something(serb1389), but I cant remember exactly what. It's somewhere in his posts
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »

hi,

I have a St Petka SOC in San Marcos, CA that is very close by. It's less than 15 miles.

What language do they use? I'm guessing Slavonic for music. How about the prayers and sermon?

I called a while back but the guy who answered the phone had a thick hard to understand English accent. I thought I would check with this board first and then call them up later if I can't get a response here.

Thanks.

Welcome to Orthodoxy..priests with accents and multi lingual services. Just how it be..many of us had grandparents or parents with those accents.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »

hi,

Thanks.

Welcome to Orthodoxy..priests with accents and multi lingual services. Just how it be..many of us had grandparents or parents with those accents.

Heck, I had a bit of an affinity for St. Pope John Paul because when he spoke in English, he had the same pitch and cadence as my mother's dad.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »

There is an OCA church nearby in Encinitas: Saint Katherine of Alexandria Orthodox Mission where the services should be all in English.
See http://www.stkatherineorthodoxchurch.org/our-parish.html

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »

I'm now attending a Serbian church, and although the priest has an accent,  there is a decent amount of English in the Liturgy.  They switch off between English and Serbian for the Litanies and some songs, but the readings are in both Serbian and English and the sermon is in English.   I would just go and see if you like it.
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 08:37:45 PM »

I am only repeating what I read here, because i admit to having no personal experience. that said, I know that Fr. Nebo said something(serb1389), but I cant remember exactly what. It's somewhere in his posts

Okay, I cant find it so i must be mistaken about him saying it. while I cant retract what I said, because I know it was said somewhere, I cant find any posts to prove it.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 08:33:29 PM »

There is an OCA church nearby in Encinitas: Saint Katherine of Alexandria Orthodox Mission where the services should be all in English.

Nothing wrong with having to learn a little CS or Serbian. Helps sharpen the mind to learn.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »

Nothing wrong with having to learn a little CS or Serbian. Helps sharpen the mind to learn.
or dull it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 12:01:35 AM »

Alrighty then