OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:42:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I'm still in the process of becoming Orthodox....can I still prey the rosery?  (Read 905 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 05, 2010, 04:27:08 PM »

When I was studying Catholicism and going to mass weekly, I loved the rosery.  It was my favorite devotion.  I must admit, I still live it.  I have this beautiful St. Benedict's rosery made of black onyx.  would it be alright to still prey it? I know the Orthodox do have prayer ropes (which I have one of).  I do say the jesus prayer on my prayer rope as much as I can, but I have memorized the rosery.  I know it's a Catholic devotion, but the way I see it, a prayer is a prayer.  would it be alright to pray the rosery?  even keep it on my icon corner?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:42:16 PM »

Here are a couple of web sites that you might find interesting. They're western rite Orthodox
websites but still Orthodox.

http://www.spokaneorthodox.com/rosary.html

http://www.westernorthodox.com/rosary

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 06:11:31 PM »

An earlier thread where you may find a lot of answers to your question:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20512.0.html
Marina14

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:49:45 PM »

When I was studying Catholicism and going to mass weekly, I loved the rosery.  It was my favorite devotion.  I must admit, I still live it.  I have this beautiful St. Benedict's rosery made of black onyx.  would it be alright to still prey it? I know the Orthodox do have prayer ropes (which I have one of).  I do say the jesus prayer on my prayer rope as much as I can, but I have memorized the rosery.  I know it's a Catholic devotion, but the way I see it, a prayer is a prayer.  would it be alright to pray the rosery?  even keep it on my icon corner?

You should ask your Spiritual Father and obey what he says to you regarding this.

I'm a Greek Orthodox Christian whose spiritual father is a Russian Orthodox priest and who is currently attending an OCA Church.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:01:46 PM »

A couple of Orthodox saints, like St. Dmitry of Rostov, adopted western devotions like the rosary and the Tale of Five Prayers, so I don't think it's entirely out of the question. Since the sanctity of such men is not in doubt, there may be well be spiritual benefit in continuing the practice. I've also heard of saints praying "Most holy Theotokos, save us" on the prayer rope, after saying the Jesus prayer. Of course your spiritual father should guide you.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:06:22 PM »

Ask your Spiritual Father. Only he can tell you what you can and cannot pray. The opinions of this forum are irrelavent.

(Including mine!)  Grin

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »

Ask your Spiritual Father. Only he can tell you what you can and cannot pray. The opinions of this forum are irrelavent.

(Including mine!)  Grin

laugh It's true, every opinion we give should be accompanied with a disclaimer!  angel laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 12:25:39 AM »

(Including mine!)  Grin

I hear this from time to time, and to me it's sort of a toss up. Yes, you might get different advice in person, but that doesn't make it better. Who here hasn't received 17.4 boatloads of horrible advice from people in "real life"? Sometimes the "ask your priest" line really frustrates me. Priests aren't infallible, and sometimes they give horrible advice as well. Both St. John Chrysostom and St. Gregory the Theologian thought that the majority of the clergy were unfit (in some way) for their position. Does anyone think that things are significantly different now? Maybe instead of saying "don't listen to anyone on the net" or "ask your priest," we should be saying "get all the advice you can, and then make up your own mind."

"Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed." - Prov.15:2

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 12:47:39 AM »

When I was studying Catholicism and going to mass weekly, I loved the rosery.  It was my favorite devotion.  I must admit, I still live it.  I have this beautiful St. Benedict's rosery made of black onyx.  would it be alright to still prey it? I know the Orthodox do have prayer ropes (which I have one of).  I do say the jesus prayer on my prayer rope as much as I can, but I have memorized the rosery.  I know it's a Catholic devotion, but the way I see it, a prayer is a prayer.  would it be alright to pray the rosery?  even keep it on my icon corner?

(Including mine!)  Grin

I hear this from time to time, and to me it's sort of a toss up. Yes, you might get different advice in person, but that doesn't make it better. Who here hasn't received 17.4 boatloads of horrible advice from people in "real life"? Sometimes the "ask your priest" line really frustrates me. Priests aren't infallible, and sometimes they give horrible advice as well. Both St. John Chrysostom and St. Gregory the Theologian thought that the majority of the clergy were unfit (in some way) for their position. Does anyone think that things are significantly different now? Maybe instead of saying "don't listen to anyone on the net" or "ask your priest," we should be saying "get all the advice you can, and then make up your own mind."

"Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed." - Prov.15:2

While "make up your own mind" may work when seeking advice on say, which camera to buy, in regards to our Spiritual Walk with Christ, I disagree. The reason we tell people to seek out the counsel of their Spiritual Father for Spiritual matters is that through counseling and confession sessions, the SF (not necessarily a priest btw) will know the individual on a very personal and intimate level, and will know what is best for that person.

The analogy of the Church being a hospital for sinners is quite true, and it is never so evident as it is with one's Spiritual Father. Just as your Physician has a greater knowledge of your medical history and how you personally will react to certain medications then an article or forum on WebMD does, so too does your Spiritual Father know you better than an internet forum.

While the Church does not tell us to "check your brains at the door," we are to be obedient to our Spiritual Father's direction. If one feels they are receiving bad advice from their SF, then they can go to the Bishop, another priest, another monk, a nun, etc. In any case, any of the preceding choices would be wiser and more knowledgeable than an internet forum.

The internet has provided us with many great things, however it has not replaced human contact. The importance of tone and body language cannot be understated, especially during Spiritual counsel.

As per your reference to St. John Chrysostom and St. Gregory the Theologian, yes, things are significantly different now. For one thing, the majority of the population is literate. Something that was not prevalent during their time. Furthermore, most priests (in the US at least) have had some sort of seminary training to prepare them for the priesthood. Back then, you basically just had to be a pious individual. Speaking from personal experience, most of the priests I know also had some sort of occupation or career before entering the priesthood, thus giving them more experience and education to draw on.

So yes, Internet forums may be nice, but your Spiritual Father is the best place to go for counsel on matters such as this.

That's my .02, for what it's worth. Wink
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:48:40 AM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 12:51:31 AM »

The actual prayers of the rosary are quite traditional. Even the Fatima prayer (a prayer for the mercy of Our Lord) has parallels to the Jesus prayer. I used to pray the rosary with some regularity, but fell out of the practice of actually using one, so I would use my fingers to count to ten. Then, almost intuitively, I got in the habit of finding that the real distractions to praying the rosary weren't outside influences such as paying attention to the environment, but the actual "meditation" of the mysteries.

So my modified method of praying the rosary was spending a few moments before each decade focusing on the mysteries, and then just concentrating on the prayers. This isn't a "Catholic" method of prayer, which encourages imagination in mental prayer, but having fell out of practice and then back into it again, it made the most sense to me. Concentrate on the words of the prayers - in this case, the Creed, the Our Father, the Hail Mary, and the Glory Be.

I think I offended a few Orthodox on a message forum when I said that one could pray a series of Jesus Prayers on the rosary beads. Especially if one lacks a prayer rope, there's no fixed rule that you only can pray hail mary's on them. But then again, one could easily use one's fingers. (I wasn't even suggesting that Orthodox go out and buy one, only that a rosary could be used specifically for this purpose - to recite Jesus prayers. It's a tool...).

The words to the last half of the Jesus Prayer come from one of my favorite bible stories. There's two guys in the synagogue, the one man is telling God that he holds to the fast days and all the rules and regulations that are required of him. He is quite happy with himself and his spiritual state. The other man approaches God from the position of humility. "O God, be merciful to me, a sinner."

I've since read - from Orthodox websites - material on the spiritual pratfalls associated with imagination in mental prayer and was going, "that makes sense." This is one of my favorite links on the topic but I always forward people to it, when trying to get across some of these ideas.

http://www.pravmir.com/article_545.html
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:54:55 AM by John Larocque » Logged
Tags: rosary 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: