OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 03:47:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the Franks cause the Viking Expansion?  (Read 3246 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 26, 2010, 04:31:08 PM »

According to this book, we have the Franks to thank for the Vikings:
A new theory about what drove the Vikings to raid Western Europe in the late eight and ninth centuries has been published. It suggests that the Vikings in Denmark were reacting to a threat from the Carolingian ruler Charlemagne, who was seeking to destroy their society and impose Christianity on them.

The theory was put forward by Robert Ferguson in an article for the December 2009 issue of BBC History Magazine.  His book, The Hammer and the Cross: A New History of the Vikings, was also published in November.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 05:15:38 PM »

We also have the Franks to thank for the Vikings not becoming Muslim.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:49:20 PM »

Nahhhhhh. We can blame another thing, the Vikings, on global warming. (Please Lord send the NE some global warming and quickly!)  Just prior to the Viking age, Northern Europe went through a warming trend which increased harvests and increased their survival rate. During this same time the light weight plow was created which also increased harvests and survival.  With the significant increase in their population, the farm dwelling Vikings had to participate in urban sprawl/suburban brawl to obtain more farmland.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21747564/World-Climate-Past-and-Present-JLB
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »

And we have the Byzantine Empire/Eastern Roman Empire to thank for all of Europe not becoming Muslim...  Grin
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »

And we have the Byzantine Empire/Eastern Roman Empire to thank for all of Europe not becoming Muslim...  Grin

And for starting the conversion of the Vikings: the Rus were Vikings.  Somewhere here I posted a map of the original Russia-East Sweden!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:46:13 PM »

A new theory about what drove the Vikings to raid Western Europe in the late eight and ninth centuries has been published. It suggests that the Vikings in Denmark were reacting to a threat from the Carolingian ruler Charlemagne, who was seeking to destroy their society and impose Christianity on them.

The theory was put forward by Robert Ferguson in an article for the December 2009 issue of BBC History Magazine.  His book, The Hammer and the Cross: A New History of the Vikings, was also published in November.

If the Franks hadn't converted the Saxons Europe would have been infinitely worse off...

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »

sounds like another ripple in the great sea that is the Pirenne thesis.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »

Baloney, you can thank the Franks in the battle of Tours for that.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:15:39 AM »

And we have the Byzantine Empire/Eastern Roman Empire to thank for all of Europe not becoming Muslim...  Grin

lol I don't think you know history very well... The whole reason the Muslims had to come up through Spain was because the East was holding them back at Constantinople.

Had the Muslims broken through sooner at Constantinople, things would be much different today. They didn't really manage to completely break through until the 15th Century. By then, the West had reached the point where the Middle Ages was ending, and the Renaissance was beginning. At that point, Islam had long been driven out of Western Europe down to Spain, and the West had more strength to hold them back...
Had the East fallen sooner, the West would be as Muslim as much of Eastern Europe was before the 20th Century.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:19:05 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 04:23:32 AM »

Eastern Europe wasn't Muslim before 20th century.
Where did you get the idea Huh
Being under Ottoman suzerainty doesn't make one a muslim.
Is Iraq now American because of the occupation?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:25:20 AM by augustin717 » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 04:24:59 AM »

I'm not talking about places like Romania and such, I tend to categorize Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece, etc... as also being in "Eastern Europe".
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:26:17 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 04:26:47 AM »

Serbia, Greece etc were never Muslim.
The only Muslim areas were Bosnia (not totally, anyways) and Albania (about half).
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 04:30:16 AM »

They were part of the Ottoman Empire though... Thus they were being ruled by Muslims. I'm not saying all the people converted to Islam, but they were being under the control of Muslims. However many people did convert.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »

And we have the Byzantine Empire/Eastern Roman Empire to thank for all of Europe not becoming Muslim...  Grin

lol I don't think you know history very well... The whole reason the Muslims had to come up through Spain was because the East was holding them back at Constantinople.

Had the Muslims broken through sooner at Constantinople, things would be much different today. They didn't really manage to completely break through until the 15th Century. By then, the West had reached the point where the Middle Ages was ending, and the Renaissance was beginning. At that point, Islam had long been driven out of Western Europe down to Spain, and the West had more strength to hold them back...
Had the East fallen sooner, the West would be as Muslim as much of Eastern Europe was before the 20th Century.

The Franks crushed the Islamic invaders:

Let's give some credit. If it wasn't for byzantine intolerance maybe we wouldn't have seen Islam...

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 12:26:44 PM »

The Franks crushed the Islamic invaders:

Let's give some credit. If it wasn't for byzantine intolerance maybe we wouldn't have seen Islam...
Rafa, why are you assuming I don't know my history? You are forgetting that I was a Protestant for almost all of my life. Not to mention that I was a history buff for years.

I know my history, I know about the Battle of Tours. What I'm saying, is that you are ignoring the fact that the East is the whole reason all of Europe isn't Muslim. Yes the Franks did defeat the Muslims, but again, you are forgetting that the Muslims were forced to invade Europe through Spain because the East had Constantinople locked down. As I said, if the East had not held Constantinople for as long as it did. We would see a very different Europe...

The Islamic caliphates conquered, up until about the mid 8th Century, all the way up into Spain. We know that during this time, they also pushed into France, and were then defeated at the Battle of Tours.
It wasn't until 1453 that they finally took Constantinople. We also must remember that in 1204, it was the West that totally sacked/pillaged Constantinople on their way to the Holy Land in the Fourth Crusade. Not to mention that it wasn't until about the 14th Century that the West didn't start sending aid to the East. Up until then, they were mostly a hindrance in the battle against the Ottomans.

The Western Expansion of the Ottoman Empire wasn't completely halted/reversed until about the 17th Century when the so-called "Holy Roman Empire" defeated it in several important battles. The point? The Muslims were halted in Anatolia by the Eastern Empire early on, in about the 7th/8th Centuries. Had the Eastern Empire fallen immediately, there would have been no need for the Muslims to go over to Spain in order to invade Europe. The East held them back long enough that the West had finally grown strong enough to repel the Muslims. Had the East fallen in about 650 rather than in 1453, as I said, things would be MUCH different.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »

I couldn't imagine modern day Scandinavians being Muslims.  Just think, we'd have to worry about blond haired, blue eyed terrorist along with swarthy Arab ones Shocked.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »

I couldn't imagine modern day Scandinavians being Muslims.  Just think, we'd have to worry about blond haired, blue eyed terrorist along with swarthy Arab ones Shocked.

Blonde hair and blue eyes are fairly common in the Levant  Wink
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »

Without Vikings, there could be no Viking metal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcT_arJIRCA&feature=related

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »

We actually do. What do you think Muslims from Russia and the Balkan states look like?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... Franks

Homer

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 03:06:41 PM »

Blonde hair and blue eyes are fairly common in the Levant  Wink
I resemble that remark (but then my German and Scandinavian ancestors helped as well Tongue).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »

In this aspect, the Franks actually hurt their own defense by sacking Constantinople in the 13th century, expediting what had been a slower decline in Roman power.  If they had left the city alone, we may have seen a longer hold-out (if not for Constantinople itself, at least for the European side of the Empire) against the Muslim tide.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 04:55:36 PM »

If the Franks hadn't converted the Saxons Europe would have been infinitely worse off...

The Franks caused much more trouble than they were worth. The Saxon Wars included.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 05:58:28 PM »

The Franks caused much more trouble than they were worth. The Saxon Wars included.

Prove it.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »

You seem to be using "the Vikings" as shorthand for something, especially since the Franks were not ancestors of the Vikings. What exactly is your point?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 06:50:14 PM »

Between this and your comment about Latin American men on the other thread, I'm really getting the idea that you're a racist bigot. Please prove me wrong. Undecided

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 07:02:54 PM »

Prove it.

Why?? If I provide proof will you see the light?? Somehow I doubt that.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »

You seem to be using "the Vikings" as shorthand for something, especially since the Franks were not ancestors of the Vikings. What exactly is your point?
The book argues that the Frank's execution of thousands of pagan Saxons, may have caused the pagan Danes (and other Scandinavians) to strike back, in the form of the Viking Expansion.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 12:42:06 PM »

The book argues that the Frank's execution of thousands of pagan Saxons, may have caused the pagan Danes (and other Scandinavians) to strike back, in the form of the Viking Expansion.
I see. Hmm. Interesting assertion, and one that could have merit.

I've taken the liberty of renaming the thread so as to discourage this sort of confusion happening again.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:45:44 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 08:45:29 PM »

Why did they all intermarry eachother in the British Isles then?  The animonsity must have not lasted long.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »

Why did they all intermarry eachother in the British Isles then?  The animonsity must have not lasted long.
Who married whom?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »

Who married whom?
Franks, Saxons, Danes, and Scandinavians. We're all Britons, all of us, and Arthur is our king, despite that I didn't vote for him.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »

Who married whom?
Franks, Saxons, Danes, and Scandinavians. We're all Britons, all of us, and Arthur is our king, despite that I didn't vote for him.

I still say we're an anarcho-syndicalist commune.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 06:23:51 PM »

Who married whom?
What about the Sarmatian Knights?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 07:25:29 PM »

Who married whom?

No, no, you have it all wrong!

Weasley is our King,
Weasley is our King,
He didn't let the Quaffle in
Weasley is our King.

Weasley can save anything,
He never leaves a single ring,
That's why Gryffindors all sing:
Weasley is our King.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »

Who married whom?
What about the Sarmatian Knights?
Maybe they were the ones at the Castle Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghh. The world will never know.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 08:42:34 PM »

Who married whom?

No, no, you have it all wrong!

Weasley is our King,
Weasley is our King,
He didn't let the Quaffle in
Weasley is our King.

Weasley can save anything,
He never leaves a single ring,
That's why Gryffindors all sing:
Weasley is our King.
Splitter.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 02:43:53 AM »

Bottomline is that the Franks did stop them from going further into Europe. Charles Martel (Charles the Hammer) made sure of this at the battle of Tours. We can specualate all we want. Fact of the matter is that he  hammered them!

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »

One should be accurate when talking about Franks. From the Romano-Byzantine perspective, just about all Western European barbarians could be referred to as Franks. But the "Franks" who sacked Constantinople in 1204 were not the same as the Franks who beat back the Mohammedans at Poitiers. The "Franks" of 1204 were a conglomerate led by the Venetians and mostly comprised of various Norman groups. The Normans were Vikings who settled in northern France, half-converted to something resembling Christianity, and proceeded to continue terrorizing and conquering Western Europe and the Levant as well, hijacking the Orthodox papacy, and moving on to destroy Constantinople. Of course, the "Franks" of Charlemagne's day and the "Franco-Normans" of the 11th century were both pretty much anti-Byzantine, but in some different ways. If you want to be REALLY technical, the Western (Holy Roman) Empire was soon to be run by Saxons after the Carolingian dynasty faded.

The book's thesis is compelling, I think. I'm not sure what evidence for it is presented. The "convert or die" method came to be favored by later Christian kings of Scandinavia, among them King Olaf I Tryggvason of Norway. It is interesting to note that the kings of Norway, Denmark, and Sweden became Christians long before their subjects, and it took a long time to evangelize them.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 12:42:38 PM »

Nahhhhhh. We can blame another thing, the Vikings, on global warming. (Please Lord send the NE some global warming and quickly!)  Just prior to the Viking age, Northern Europe went through a warming trend which increased harvests and increased their survival rate. During this same time the light weight plow was created which also increased harvests and survival.  With the significant increase in their population, the farm dwelling Vikings had to participate in urban sprawl/suburban brawl to obtain more farmland.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21747564/World-Climate-Past-and-Present-JLB

OK, off subject but relative to the question of post-global warming.  I suggest we owe the great white buffalo hunters a debt of gratitude for their stopping the ocean of toxic gasses which would have certainly caused an earlier melting of the ice caps...but I''ll save that for a topic in some term paper?

Big GRIN!

John

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »

Bottomline is that the Franks did stop them from going further into Europe. Charles Martel (Charles the Hammer) made sure of this at the battle of Tours. We can specualate all we want. Fact of the matter is that he  hammered them!
Had the Empire (the Roman that is) not held off the Muslims, they would have reached Russia and the Vikings, and Charles Martel would be a footnote in history.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: