OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:55:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faithfulness  (Read 680 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: February 07, 2010, 12:41:52 PM »

Obviously, due to various circumstances, I shall never marry, so this doesn't really concern me personally anymore, but it did for several decades.

This issue of faithfulness within marriage. I'd like to get your opinions on the matter. I was just having a discussion with a sibling who laughed me to scorn when I mentioned that for me, marriage is complete loyalty and faithfulness to one's spouse. I told my sibling that I consider it biblical one several levels, not least of which being the golden rule-that of wanting to do as you would be done by. For me, this is extremely simple. I would want my spouse to be totally faithful to me, so in return, I would feel less than obedient to God were I to be anything less than totally faithful to my (hypothetical) husband. My sibling laughs and says such mentality is stupid and belongs in the looney bin.

What are your (honest) opinions, please?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Mivac

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »

Obviously, due to various circumstances, I shall never marry, so this doesn't really concern me personally anymore, but it did for several decades.

This issue of faithfulness within marriage. I'd like to get your opinions on the matter. I was just having a discussion with a sibling who laughed me to scorn when I mentioned that for me, marriage is complete loyalty and faithfulness to one's spouse. I told my sibling that I consider it biblical one several levels, not least of which being the golden rule-that of wanting to do as you would be done by. For me, this is extremely simple. I would want my spouse to be totally faithful to me, so in return, I would feel less than obedient to God were I to be anything less than totally faithful to my (hypothetical) husband. My sibling laughs and says such mentality is stupid and belongs in the looney bin.

What are your (honest) opinions, please?

I say you are correct in that marriage is an image of Christ and His Church in unity, oneness.   Yet, your first loyalty is to Christ.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »

Well, my first inclination would be to say that faithfulness and monogamy are not always the same... however, if we're talking about traditional Christian values, then I would agree completely with you.
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »

In the Christian faith, marriage is the union of two into one with the Body of Christ.  By being unfaithful, we have wounded ourselves and the Body of Christ (the Church).  Most people don't see it that way, as many feel what they do in privacy is between them and God alone.  This isn't true, and effects more than is realized.  You were right in your statement to your siblings, and hopefully it doesn't take a real life event to make them realize that.

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »

Thanks for your replies so far. I think I know well enough what the Bible says about such matters, but I am referring more to reality here than anything else. Not saying that what the Bible says isn't reality as such, but you get my drift, hopefully. They (my siblings) say that human beings simply aren't made for monogamy and "faithfulness" to one spouse for life (as, of course, Christ teaches), but rather that in nature and in human reality we are not made for monogamy (that is, total loyalty and faithfulness to only one person, for life). They say that only loonies would believe otherwise and that no normal man would be impressed with a woman who feels this way. They say that because all (or most) normal men are deep down in their hearts (if not openly), not capable of being attracted to only one woman, extreme faithfulness in a woman is simply not appealing to the male species. Hope this makes sense. I am hoping some of the older, more experienced men will chip in here-not that I don't value the younger ones, but younger men simply haven't often lived long enough to have acquired huge amounts of experience in this matter.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:45:09 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »

FWIW, I agree with you 100%. If your ideas on faithfulness put you in the looney bin, then I'll be happy to be your roomate.   Wink

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »

FWIW, I agree with you 100%. If your ideas on faithfulness put you in the looney bin, then I'll be happy to be your roomate.   Wink

Of course, most women will likely agree with me. But, as my mother often quotes her uncle as saying, "Men are made for polygamy and women for monogamy." (to a greater or lesser degree).

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: