Author Topic: "Memory Eternal"  (Read 1252 times)

Offline PeaceSerenity

"Memory Eternal"
« on: February 03, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »
I know this is a weird question, but... The author of my US History Textbook died last week so my history teacher decided we should hold a moment of silence for him. At the end of that moment, my teacher said "Memory Eternal". I thought that was kind of weird and I was wondering if non-Orthodox use that expression too or if it is only an Orthodox thing. I guess I'm asking, is my teacher Orthodox?

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
Re: "Memory Eternal"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:56:11 PM »
He might be.  Or he might have been.  Or perhaps his family was/is but he does not go to church.  The only person that can answer that question is really him or her.  :)
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »
Why don't you just ask your teacher about it?
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »
Yeah, just wait a few months, and then go in and say very loudly "Christ is Risen!" If he looks at you like you have lobsters crawling out your ears, you have your answer. ;)
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:45 PM »
Yeah, just wait a few months, and then go in and say very loudly "Christ is Risen!" If he looks at you like you have lobsters crawling out your ears, you have your answer. ;)
LOL! :D
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »

Asteriktos,

you are such a hoot!  :laugh:
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline GammaRay

• The Awful Preacher
  • High Elder
  • Alexandros Papadiamantis
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 08:52:22 AM »
Do it, do it, do it! ;D
Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.