OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:47:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser Issues  (Read 2022 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: February 03, 2010, 10:37:59 AM »

I recently began using a new browser (Internet Explorer 8 ), and have noticed some issues. The consistent issue is that the OC.net banner at the top of pages extends down too far by maybe 1/4 inch, partially covering where it says OrthodoxChristianity.net / simple machines forum. Another issue that I've seen from time to time is that, when I first enter a thread, sometimes the signature at the end of one post will be placed over top the beginning of the next post. If I highlight that part of the page, where the misplaced signature is, the formatting returns to normal. Is there something in my browser settings that is perhaps not set correctly, that I could change?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:38:12 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »

Switch to Firefox.  Microsoft is evil.   Grin

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »

Lol. Well the last time I tried to use Firefox, I was having more issues with it than I ever had with Windoze Internets Exploder, so I switched back.

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »

Use Opera or Chrome, they are a of the few browsers that actually passed the Acid3 test.  To pass, a browser must score 100/100.  IE8 scored 20/100.  :/

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:54:22 AM »

The header at the top is a result of my sloppy coding. I hope to fix that design at some point before or during Lent.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »

Use Opera or Chrome, they are a of the few browsers that actually passed the Acid3 test.  To pass, a browser must score 100/100.  IE8 scored 20/100.  :/

Love these!  I only use Chrome or Opera...especially at home.  Very few viruses are written to sneak in that way.  Most go for IE.

I have used Firefox, but, found that many pages I require for work wouldn't load properly.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 03:13:06 PM »

Use IE8's compatibility mode and make sure that recent compatibility mode updates are installed.  The issue has been discussed on other threads....
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 06:02:14 PM »

Love these!  I only use Chrome or Opera...especially at home.  Very few viruses are written to sneak in that way.  Most go for IE.

How Ukrainian of you.  http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2010/02/03_2/  Wink

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 02:38:49 AM »

Just toying with Opera right now.  It's one of six web browsers I have currently installed on my Windows 7 system, the others being IE 8 (of course), Firefox, FlashPeak's SlimBrowser, Google Chrome, and Safari.  (IMO, a serious student of web app development needs to be able to test his work on multiple browsers.)  Opera markets their free browser as the fastest available today, and I can certainly believe it!  I've not had much chance yet to explore Opera for all the other aspects I consider important to my web browsing experience, but Opera looks pretty darn good if speed is important to you.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:13:15 AM »

How Ukrainian of you.  http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2010/02/03_2/  Wink

Hey...I just saw your reply.

Opera browser tops the charts in Ukraine according to gemiusRanking
http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2010/02/03/

How funny is that?
 Cheesy

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:33 AM »

Just for those curious, I tested the OCnet design for Lent in IE 6, IE 7, IE 8, Firefox, Safari, and Opera.

The Pascha design currently up should work in all those since I only changed the graphics and not the structural markup, but I did not test in IE6.

From here on out, I will not support IE6 as it is a dinosaur and just can't do the things other browsers can.  The forum should work in IE6 for some time still, but it won't always.  Only like 2-5% of our users use IE6 at this point though.

As far as having to use IE8 in compatibility mode, the forum software we use (SMF) is going through a big fight between developers and the LLC that manages it. I am waiting to see what happens before making a decision which direction to take the upgrades in the future, but those new versions will fix the issues with IE8 compatibility.  Nebelpfede showed me how to tweak the code, but I am reticent to do hacks because I do my web work in rotations (since I can't ever seem to get enough help >>>cough<<<<) and so when I finish something on OCnet, it's on to one of the other 10 sites I work on. By the time I get back to OCnet, I often forget what code hacks I've done and when I change something I might forget the hack...yes, I write them down, but trust me, when you are trying to manage as much stuff as I am, you feel confused about the work half the time.

Just wanted to let people know how things work around here, in case anyone was curious.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 02:30:38 AM »

IE 9 is in the developmental pipeline with a preview version released last month.   Wink
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »

A heads Up....

I just discovered in internet Explorer 8 to keep everything from jumping around when trying to post..Click on tools and check In private browsing ,that stopped the jumping and the messages that said session has timed out  ,try logging out and in again......So far it works for me....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 05:37:54 PM »

A heads Up....

I just discovered in internet Explorer 8 to keep everything from jumping around when trying to post..Click on tools and check In private browsing ,that stopped the jumping and the messages that said session has timed out  ,try logging out and in again......So far it works for me....

Internet Explorer 9 is in Beta.  Give it a shot and let us know if IE 9 fixes the issues.   Grin
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:39:10 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »

A heads Up....

I just discovered in internet Explorer 8 to keep everything from jumping around when trying to post..Click on tools and check In private browsing ,that stopped the jumping and the messages that said session has timed out  ,try logging out and in again......So far it works for me....

Internet Explorer 9 is in Beta.  Give it a shot and let us know if IE 9 fixes the issues.   Grin

I have no problem now that i put my internet 8 Browser in Private mode it works fine now.....No jumping or whatever..

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 05:55:15 PM »

A heads Up....

I have no problem now that i put my internet 8 Browser in Private mode it works fine now.....No jumping or whatever..

Microsoft released a whole bunch of updates today (second Tuesday of each month), including the most recent IE8 compatibility updates which resolved the issue.  All In Private Filtering did was resetting the cookie, causing you to log out of OC.Net.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 06:20:03 PM »

True it did ...I can only use reply button ,The Quote Button still says session failed timed out try logging in and out to correct the problem....now even reply button doesn't work right...Im downloading the updates as im writing this..

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 07:07:44 PM »

Had to delite Google Frame add on to Internet explorer to view Html videos...This might be the cause of posts not getting through...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »

Microsoft released a whole bunch of updates today (second Tuesday of each month), including the most recent IE8 compatibility updates which resolved the issue.  All In Private Filtering did was resetting the cookie, causing you to log out of OC.Net.

Is that why I got logged out of half the sites I visit? Or was that just a coincidence?  Oddly enough, I didn't get logged out of OC.net.

SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 07:41:41 PM »

Is that why I got logged out of half the sites I visit? Or was that just a coincidence?  Oddly enough, I didn't get logged out of OC.net.

If you have Automatic Updates turned on, at 1:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Microsoft's update servers were bombarded with update requests from tens of millions of systems....
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: