OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 01:16:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple baptisms  (Read 1408 times) Average Rating: 0
maxval

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate

« on: February 02, 2010, 08:14:43 AM »

My wife is of Jewish ancestry, offspring of the Jews expulsed from Spain at the end of 15th century. Somebody in her family in the first part of 19th century converted to EO Christianity, since then everybody is EO, there were even EO bishops and one metropolitan in the family.

There are people in her family (I know personally three persons) who had multiple baptisms. We discovered that even my wife had two baptisms, one as a little baby, and other at 7 years old age. When asked older family members, they said "yes, the first baptism is the main sacrament, and the second one is a ritual for good heath and luck, when you are very ill, a new baptism helps very much". Some family members even consider this is a "secret Christian teaching".   

I think this is simply something weird and I am sure there are no secret Christian teachings. But I read something interesting about the Essene Jews, and they really had a strange custom of purifying themselves with water every day, called sometimes as baptism. So I am wondering if this multiple baptism issue has some Jewish roots?

Can somebody give more information? Did anybody hear about this strange custom of multiple baptism?  Huh

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:00:25 PM »

I assume your wife's family is from the Balkans somewhere.
I've heard of this superstition-and a few others-in Romania as well.
The idea behind it is that once baptized you are a new/other man, so illness will not find you anymore.
In my country they used to change ill children's names and sell them symbolically to another woman.
Then I would rather think that by "baptism", in this context, only "re-naming" is meant, and certainly not a repetition of the church rite.
maxval

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:34:34 PM »

I assume your wife's family is from the Balkans somewhere.

Yes, from Bulgaria.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »

I believe in one baptism for the remission of sins.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 02:45:43 PM »

I believe in one baptism for the remission of sins.
So do we.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »

My wife is of Jewish ancestry, offspring of the Jews expulsed from Spain at the end of 15th century. Somebody in her family in the first part of 19th century converted to EO Christianity, since then everybody is EO, there were even EO bishops and one metropolitan in the family.

There are people in her family (I know personally three persons) who had multiple baptisms. We discovered that even my wife had two baptisms, one as a little baby, and other at 7 years old age. When asked older family members, they said "yes, the first baptism is the main sacrament, and the second one is a ritual for good heath and luck, when you are very ill, a new baptism helps very much". Some family members even consider this is a "secret Christian teaching".   

I think this is simply something weird and I am sure there are no secret Christian teachings. But I read something interesting about the Essene Jews, and they really had a strange custom of purifying themselves with water every day, called sometimes as baptism. So I am wondering if this multiple baptism issue has some Jewish roots?

Can somebody give more information? Did anybody hear about this strange custom of multiple baptism?  Huh

Most all religions have a dose or two of Folk beliefs mixed in on occasion. A Good Luck Baptism seems to an example of a superstitious practice.

I know a Priest who tells the story of a fellow who never felt "complete " after his Baptism. He traveled to Russia and by happen stance met an old retired Priest and told him of his unsteadiness. The old Priest asked him how he was Baptised and if he was completely immersed in the water. The guys said he never got all the way under the water. The Old Priest exclaimed "That's it" We need to give you a "REAL DUNKING"..

He  took the guy out back and filled up a large Oil Can with water and did the required blessings. He had the fellow get in and baptised him making sure he got all the way under.. The fellow was skeptical but it turned out that his religious faith became more settled and he did much better after that..Go figure.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags: baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: