OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 04:51:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can you reccomend an icon for my icon corner?  (Read 2555 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: February 01, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »

I have jst constructed my first icon corner.  I have icons of Christ, Theotokos, and my patron Saint, Tikhon of Moscow.  are there any others that I should get?  I am thinking of getting one of the Holy Trinity.  any ideas?  special saints?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:29:54 PM »

St. Mark of Ephesus making the pope bow and kiss his feet and grovel before him! Cheesy  Just kidding.  Maybe go with a saint that has a special place for you in some way? For example, I have icons of St. James of Jerusalem (mostly my connection with him is because of his epistle, which really resonates with me) and St. Gregory the Theologian (my favorite saint). Neither are my patron saint, but both have had a positive impact on me through their life and/or writings.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 09:37:30 PM »

what a good idea!  I'll definatly want one of the Romanovs, their story alwayse really gets to me.  and I want one of Moses.  I have loved his story since I was a baby.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »

It is never a bad idea to try and have some festal icons. I personally like our icon of the ladder of divine ascent a great deal. It is a good daily reminder of the process of sanctification that we walk each day. We recently picked up an icon of creation of the stars that I think is quite beautiful.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »

It is never a bad idea to try and have some festal icons. I personally like our icon of the ladder of divine ascent a great deal. It is a good daily reminder of the process of sanctification that we walk each day. We recently picked up an icon of creation of the stars that I think is quite beautiful.

I am quite firmilliar with the ladder of divine ascent.  the first time I saw it in church, I had a feeling I'd seen it somewhere before.  I still get that feeling.

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:14:47 AM »

Christ IS in our Midst!!!

Howbout an Icon of the guardian angel or the patron of your parish? just a thought.

pray for me a sinner,

David

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 12:16:18 AM »

Perhaps an Archangel?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:31:47 AM »

Holy Trinity by Andrei Rublyev.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 01:37:35 AM »

Hello.  What do you all think of the San Damiano cross hanging above my first icon corner?  I wonder if it's apropreat.  I know it's not the three-bar cross.  But my parish doesn't sell a larger Orthodox cross.  and I figure that it is in icon-style.   opinions, please.

here is the wikipedia for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Damiano_cross 

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 01:45:30 AM »

What do you all think of the San Damiano cross hanging above my first icon corner?  I wonder if it's appropriate.  I know it's not the three-bar cross.  But my parish doesn't sell a larger Orthodox cross.  and I figure that it is in icon-style.   opinions, please.

I had the same kind of technical concerns about this cross last year, but there's nothing unorthodox about it.  It is actually likely of eastern origin. Everything about it expresses perfectly Orthodox theology.  I have one in my icon corner.

Just so you know, the three-barred cross is normal in Russian Orthodoxy, but it's not as if you are somehow bound to have one of those kind of crosses.  It's not "indigenous" to the Greek church, nor is it the norm for them.  Just use whatever cross you want to.  A cross is a cross, as long as it's not bent.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 01:50:36 AM »

I've always wanted a San Damiano cross - not sure why I don't have one as I have several styles; Celtic, Russian, Latin, Byzantine, Ethiopian. And I'm still collecting. Smiley

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 01:54:01 AM »

I think the San Damiano cross is of Latin origin, more specifically was originally in the hands of Francis of Assisi. However, I think I read that it was made around the 12th Century, which would put it after the traditional schism date (1054), but well before the Schism was finalized in 1204. So I think it would be totally Orthodox.

Anyway, I'd say it's okay. Our church has one hanging in the bookstore (not for sale though), and I wore one through high school up until I was baptized and begun wearing my baptismal cross. The San Damiano cross is beautiful and I don't think ther is anything actually unOrthodox about it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:55:42 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »

St. Mark of Ephesus making the pope bow and kiss his feet and grovel before him! Cheesy 

You mean this one?

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 10:06:49 PM »

and I want one of Moses.

I think that's an awesome idea.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 10:39:23 PM »

St. John the Baptist is a must imho. Christ in the middle, the Virgin Mother on the left, St. John on the right.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »

This thread reminds me of trading Dragon Ball cards they put in Chio Chips...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
WPM
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »

You probably don't need anymore icons.  angel
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 11:24:13 AM »

Saint Nicholas of Myra !

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »

You've got to be kidding me. *facepalm*
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 10:11:23 PM »

Alpo, that image is not an icon, but a piece of ecclesiopolitical propaganda. The inclusion of a grovelling pope is completely unnecessary, and completely against what iconography is and stands for.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 11:00:06 PM »

Alpo, that image is not an icon, but a piece of ecclesiopolitical propaganda. The inclusion of a grovelling pope is completely unnecessary, and completely against what iconography is and stands for.

I agree.  For somebody like me that tithers in and out of agreement and disagreement with iconography, icons laced in (worded best) "ecclesiopolitical" propaganda are an enormous slap down to me.  Through my struggles of understanding on this issue, the "true intent" of iconography is the only thing I can cling to.    I can not accept something like this as an icon.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 05:04:42 PM »

Thanks. That's what I thought too.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 07:12:37 AM »

Think what you like, but it's been an Orthodox Icon for centuries before you and will be an Orthodox Icon after you are worm food.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 07:37:03 AM »

Think what you like, but it's been an Orthodox Icon for centuries before you and will be an Orthodox Icon after you are worm food.

Just because such imagery has existed for a long time doesn't automatically make it canonical, any more than God the Father as an old man, or Christ as an androgynous winged angel are proper icons. Or, indeed, "icons" of "saint" Tsar Ivan IV (yes, they do exist, and some are centuries-old).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:38:39 AM by LBK » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 07:45:44 AM »

Thanks for polite way of expressing a disagreement.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 07:54:32 AM »

Just because such imagery has existed for a long time doesn't automatically make it canonical, any more than God the Father as an old man, or Christ as an androgynous winged angel are proper icons. Or, indeed, "icons" of "saint" Tsar Ivan IV (yes, they do exist, and some are centuries-old).
And the arbiter of what constitutes a "canonical" icon is your good self is it? Could you point me to the canons which you use to decide that this Icon of St. Markos Eugenikos is "uncanonical"?

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »

And the arbiter of what constitutes a "canonical" icon is your good self is it? Could you point me to the canons which you use to decide that this Icon of St. Markos Eugenikos is "uncanonical"?

For a start, may I remind you of this post of yours:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11209.msg151977.html#msg151977

In particular, this excerpt from it:

The problem that I have with such depictions is that it doesn't fully convey a spiritual truth, because
a) it demonizes people, and
b) it seems to express a belief in dualism- i.e, that the battle between Good and Evil is somehow evenly pitched and could go either way.

I think it would be better if it showed the Ark of the Church triumphing over demons trying to attack her and the personification of Hades, in accordance with Christ's promise in the Gospel.

And being based on a 17th century prototype is no guarantee of Orthodox Iconography.
There are 17th century Icons depicting St. Christopher with the head of a dog:

And this post of mine, from the same thread, which can be easily applied also to the problematic image discussed on this thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11209.msg297730.html#msg297730

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:02:04 AM by LBK » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 08:23:23 AM »

Oh I see. So I am the Canonical Authority you use to decide what is and isn't canonical.
Thank you for the honour, but I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than me.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 08:28:26 AM »

Oh I see. So I am the Canonical Authority you use to decide what is and isn't canonical.
Thank you for the honour, but I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than me.

I am simply pointing out the inconsistency of your present argument. Hoist by your own petard. It seems to me that you are simply spoiling for a fight with me, which wouldn't be the first time.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »

This thread reminds me of trading Dragon Ball cards they put in Chio Chips...

LOL!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 10:51:33 AM »

I have jst constructed my first icon corner.  I have icons of Christ, Theotokos, and my patron Saint, Tikhon of Moscow.  are there any others that I should get?  I am thinking of getting one of the Holy Trinity.  any ideas?  special saints?

My vote is - easy Smiley. It's like picture of someone close to you. Someday you'll meet a new important one in your life and you'll want the icon to remind of his presence, but for now if you don't personally have a need, just a feeling of creating (which is good feeling, by the way), what you have is absolutely complete.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:52:36 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 10:52:54 AM »

I can't believe Nick didn't post this one earlier. IT. IS. EPIC.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »

This.  Wink
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »

I can't believe Nick didn't post this one earlier. IT. IS. EPIC.

Yeah I saw it an decided not to. It reminds me of this one of Saint Joseph of Petrograd stepping on Sergius

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tags: icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: