OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:54:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Ancient Faith Radio is...
God's chosen vehicle for spreading the Gospel to America - 2 (2.3%)
A source of inspiration throughout my day - 18 (20.5%)
A good and useful ministry - 38 (43.2%)
Something I find/found helpful as an inquirer into Orthodoxy - 7 (8%)
What's Ancient Faith Radio? - 4 (4.5%)
Something that appeals most to ex-Evangeical Orthoconvert subculture - 13 (14.8%)
Annoying - 1 (1.1%)
Ecumenist Anti-Christ Pan-Heretical Mouth of Sauron - 5 (5.7%)
Total Voters: 88

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: What do you think about Ancient Faith Radio?  (Read 5935 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2010, 10:09:25 AM »

It always struck me as a World Orthodox attempt to mimic the success of EWTN.
Hey there. Right now I'm reading The Struggle Against Ecumenism. Your jurisdiction would be so proud.
Good man!

So far it's hideously tedious.
Hamartolos
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »

The others (especially Kh. Matthewes-Green) are generally boring and not intellecutally stimulating.

You don't find Fr. Frederica intellectually stimulating?

No, she's a hack.  Her writing (both substantively and stylistically) is shallow.  Her insights are frequently misguided and whenever she claims to know anything about the Greek langauge, she is most often dead wrong.  Why she is considered to be the "spokeswoman" for converts to Orthodoxy is beyond me.

Please be careful with your words! She posts online and I think she posted here once......I could be wrong about that, but she has friends and family and alot of fans....like myself....so please watch what you say about one of the greatest American heroes and Orthodox women of our day! I am more than willing to defend her honor! So please, watch what you say about her.

InLove   Jnorm

Great American hero??  Really? 

I have to agree with scamandrius here, Kh. Matthewes-Green should not be deemed a spokesperson for converts to Orthodoxy.  This is at least my opinion, and I've been bothered that her name appears in "The Word" a lot because most of what she has written isn't representational of converts or their experiences. 

Formerly known as "mctavix"
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »

Please be careful with your words! She posts online and I think she posted here once......I could be wrong about that, but she has friends and family and alot of fans....like myself....so please watch what you say about one of the greatest American heroes and Orthodox women of our day! I am more than willing to defend her honor! So please, watch what you say about her.

Just because she has fans and because she has posted here does not grant her immunization from criticism, harsh it may be, from myself or anyone else on this board.  I have no idea of what kind of woman she is; I've not met her.  But, when it comes to the faith and her attempts to write/speak on it, I find her work to be not worth the time.  My opinion. If you like her, fine.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2010, 09:16:14 PM »

The others (especially Kh. Matthewes-Green) are generally boring and not intellecutally stimulating.

No, she's a hack.  Her writing (both substantively and stylistically) is shallow.  Her insights are frequently misguided and whenever she claims to know anything about the Greek langauge, she is most often dead wrong.  Why she is considered to be the "spokeswoman" for converts to Orthodoxy is beyond me.

InLove   Jnorm

Great American hero??  Really?  

I have to agree with scamandrius here, Kh. Matthewes-Green should not be deemed a spokesperson for converts to Orthodoxy.  This is at least my opinion, and I've been bothered that her name appears in "The Word" a lot because most of what she has written isn't representational of converts or their experiences.  

Yes, Really! And it is impossible to write about the experience of every convert. We all come from different back grounds, and so, the onlything she can really do is talk about her own experiences and the experiences of those with a similar background......at the end of the day, that is all one can really do.

My background isn't gonna cover everybody, nor will yours! And so, at the end of the day, the onlything we can really do is be ourselves, and those who can relate or connect with our experiences will, and those who can't won't.

It is what it is.......and that's all we can do at the end of the day. There is no one size fits all universal cookie cutter experience for all converts. Such a thing doesn't exist. We are all unique like fingerprints.

Inlove Jnorm
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:21:03 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2010, 10:51:36 PM »

No, she's a hack.  Her writing (both substantively and stylistically) is shallow.  Her insights are frequently misguided and whenever she claims to know anything about the Greek langauge, she is most often dead wrong.  Why she is considered to be the "spokeswoman" for converts to Orthodoxy is beyond me.

InLove   Jnorm

A great American hero? She has fans?

Is she a celebrity or a Khouria?

I'm sorry, but just because she is an author, speaker, and has fans does not make her immune to criticism. While I personally do not care for her books, I know many out there who have benefited from them. However I would never say that she is immune to criticism or that people should refrain from expressing their opinion about her.

Should they be respectful while doing so? Of course, but we should always be respectful towards that which has been created in God's image and likeness.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Hamartolos
High Elder

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »

InLove   Jnorm

I have to agree with scamandrius here, Kh. Matthewes-Green should not be deemed a spokesperson for converts to Orthodoxy.  This is at least my opinion, and I've been bothered that her name appears in "The Word" a lot because most of what she has written isn't representational of converts or their experiences. 

Yes, Really! And it is impossible to write about the experience of every convert. We all come from different back grounds, and so, the onlything she can really do is talk about her own experiences and the experiences of those with a similar background......at the end of the day, that is all one can really do.

My background isn't gonna cover everybody, nor will yours! And so, at the end of the day, the onlything we can really do is be ourselves, and those who can relate or connect with our experiences will, and those who can't won't.

It is what it is.......and that's all we can do at the end of the day. There is no one size fits all universal cookie cutter experience for all converts. Such a thing doesn't exist. We are all unique like fingerprints.

Inlove Jnorm 

Very...interesting response.  As you said no convert has the same experience as another, which is why it irritates me to no end that a lukewarm (at best) writer pretends to speak for all converts.  The first article I ever read from her was "Why converts to Orthodoxy are obnoxious"!!  Maybe people saw her as obnoxious, but this wasn't my experience and most converts I know are not obnoxious or ignorant.

Her personal character is not important to me.  If I do meet her, I'm sure I'll repeat what I've said here if it comes up in conversation. 

Formerly known as "mctavix"
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2010, 03:07:14 AM »

InLove   Jnorm

Inlove Jnorm 

Very...interesting response.  As you said no convert has the same experience as another, which is why it irritates me to no end that a lukewarm (at best) writer pretends to speak for all converts.  The first article I ever read from her was "Why converts to Orthodoxy are obnoxious"!!  Maybe people saw her as obnoxious, but this wasn't my experience and most converts I know are not obnoxious or ignorant.

Her personal character is not important to me.  If I do meet her, I'm sure I'll repeat what I've said here if it comes up in conversation. 

Understood.....just try to be nice to her when you tell her

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 09:07:03 AM »

Sad

Yesterday, I had to do a lot of documentation at work.  I started at 8 a.m. and didn't stop until 6:30 p.m. with a 12 minute break for lunch.
If not for AFR, I wouldn't have made it!

I put on my little earphones and the day flew by!  I got in the "zone"...and with all the prayers and lovely music...everything had gone smoothly.

So, here I am this morning.....put in my ear-buds....login,...roll up my sleeves....get all comfy.

....and there's NO AFR!  What?  What happened?

I am sooooo bummed.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 09:15:21 AM »

Sad

Yesterday, I had to do a lot of documentation at work.  I started at 8 a.m. and didn't stop until 6:30 p.m. with a 12 minute break for lunch.
If not for AFR, I wouldn't have made it!

I put on my little earphones and the day flew by!  I got in the "zone"...and with all the prayers and lovely music...everything had gone smoothly.

So, here I am this morning.....put in my ear-buds....login,...roll up my sleeves....get all comfy.

....and there's NO AFR!  What?  What happened?

I am sooooo bummed.

I know. Really! I don't know what happened. Sad

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »

I want to make a confession: I listen to AFR podcasts sometimes to fall asleep. I'm not saying this to imply that AFR is boring or something like that. I just have always liked to fall asleep to low-volume human voices. Music I can't fall asleep to (not sure why). But talk radio especially if its soothing NPR-type voices helps me fall asleep. Also voices with certain kinds of accents. Recently I've been listening to an old special on there with a Coptic neurosurgeon, "Christianity and the Brain." Works every time.

Does anyone else listen to the radio to fall asleep, or am I just weird?
I can go one better...I use an old humming electric fan to drown out background noise and lull me to sleep during the summer time.

Proverbs 22:7
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2010, 03:46:48 PM »

I really love Ancient Faith Radio.  I think that Eastern liturgical music is comething that were rather deprived of here in southern Colorado.  and I really love the talks that are given, especially The Path

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »

I often listen to AFR at work.  I have it playing quietly in the background.

As was mentioned, some of the musical pieces grate on the nerves, rather than sooth, however, for the most part I find it very nice.
Honestly, I don't mind if it's not in English.  I like hearing the various languages.  It reminds me that Orthodoxy is global and how lucky are we to have so many of us worshiping the Lord!

I think its a plus that we, Orthodox, have such an avenue of ministry.  It's truly a blessing!  You can't make everyone happy all the time...so, just do the best you can, with what you have!  I think the Web is better for having AFR available through it.

Geared towards Protestants or not...it's better to listen to AFR than some crazy, trashy, secular tunes!

Agreed!

CHEERS TO THAT!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2010, 04:04:36 PM »

I want to make a confession: I listen to AFR podcasts sometimes to fall asleep. I'm not saying this to imply that AFR is boring or something like that. I just have always liked to fall asleep to low-volume human voices. Music I can't fall asleep to (not sure why). But talk radio especially if its soothing NPR-type voices helps me fall asleep. Also voices with certain kinds of accents. Recently I've been listening to an old special on there with a Coptic neurosurgeon, "Christianity and the Brain." Works every time.

I can go one better...I use an old humming electric fan to drown out background noise and lull me to sleep during the summer time.

I listen to a Barack Obama speech...so boring and droll.  I'm out like a light!   Grin

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »

I listen to a Barack Obama speech...so boring and droll.  I'm out like a light!   Grin

they made us (in the 8th grade) sit in the auditorium and listen to it.  I dosed off for a good 45 minutes! Cheesy

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2010, 05:22:28 PM »

Just curious what people think...

I don't fit any of the poll options. I don't really think much of it in the manner you're wondering about. I just listen to it for the chant.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Rdr. Benedict

Jurisdiction: Constantinople (Thyateira & Great Britain)

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »

I rarely stray beyond Fr Hopko and A Word from the Holy Fathers, but have found both very, very useful.  Hopko takes up about half of my iPod now.

I agree with the observation that much of the rest of it "feels" a bit cheezy - too Evangelical and sentimental in spirit; I've sometimes hesitated to recommend to enquirers an otherwise interesting piece for that reason.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: