OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:09:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Islamic tactics  (Read 21319 times) Average Rating: 0
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2004, 04:23:28 PM »

...If we cannot master respect and tolerance, I sure as heck don't know how we'll ever even come close to knowing Christ's love, much less being an instrument of it.

peace,

-Justin, the concerned Canadian

p.s. sorry for this being my first post, I assure you I can actually be an enjoyable person Smiley

Thanks, Justin! You jumped right in a thread where I dare not even tread!

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2004, 06:44:58 PM »

I'm reading that very book right now, Sub-Deacon Peter.  Another good read is "A Second Look at the Second Coming."  The author came to speak at my parish a few months back...I'd highly recomend the book.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2004, 06:46:15 PM »

Didn't realize Linus already recomended the same book...Poles are always a little slower...
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2004, 11:38:08 AM »

Suicide Mother
By Steven Plaut
FrontPageMagazine.com | January 15, 2004

You all recall the world famous court ruling by our King Solomon? The one about the two mothers each claiming the live baby was hers? As you recall, Solomon said he would chop the babe in half.  The true mother said, "No, give him to her, just save his life." You see, she preferred he be raised by some other strange woman, not his mother, rather than die.

All of which brings us to the Palestinian analogue of that momentous ruling. Yesterday a Palestinian mother of two young children, Rim al-Riashi, blew herself to bits as the seventh Palestinian suicide bomber woman, in the Gaza Strip. She murdered four Israelis, and wounded 9, two of them quite seriously.  

You see, she preferred that her two young children be raised by a stranger rather than forego the pleasure of murdering Jews through her bombing them via herself. She had set off the metal detector, claimed she had a metal implant in her leg, wept that she really needed to pass through the checkpoint, showed her ID proving she was mother of two youngsters, and the compassionate guards let her pass through.  She then set off the detonator.  Murdering the guards that had showed her pity.

Oh and you know how Colin Powell wants to offset anything Israel spends on its Security Fence from US aid to Israel? You might want to write him and President Bush and ask how come the US has never offset from its aid to Egypt all the money the Egyptians are spending on building illegal tunnels into Gaza that allow the PLO to smuggle in explosives, like the sort that yesterday were used by the Palestinian Solomon.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2004, 10:07:52 AM »

By Phyllis Chesler

Are Palestinian female suicide bombers active members of a Death Cult, or unwilling participants in it? Are they religious fanatics, Western-style revolutionaries, or clinically depressed human beings facing No Exit lives? Have they been indoctrinated and brainwashed by master seducers or have they been brutally forced into it?

These are necessary questions to ask when contemplating the emergence of a new female form of suicide bomber. Certainly, some female Palestinian suicide bombers have "freely" chosen the murderous martyr's path: most likely, such women have had close male relatives who have died in the war that the Palestinians have declared against the Israelis.

But evidence also suggests that the Palestinians have created yet another form of Arab honor killing. For some time now, reports have reached my desk about Palestinian girls and women being recruited, seduced, and trapped, by older male terrorists in very woman-specific ways.

For example, I have been told that in one instance, the chosen Palestinian girl was unmarried and pregnant. She was offered the chance to "cleanse" her honor by blowing herself and Jews up. Her family spirited her out of the West Bank to safety in Europe. I have also been told that some Palestinian masters of mass murder have themselves had affairs with vulnerable young Palestinian girls in order to compromise their "honor" and to season them, pimp-style, for martyrdom. Hard facts are hard to come by, anecdotes abound.

Journalist Barbara Victor, the author of the recent book about Palestinian female suicide bombers, Army of Roses, and playwright Glyn O'Malley, whose play, Paradise, is on the same subject, have both dealt with some of the earliest Palestinian female suicide bombers whose lives were stunted by oppression.

Wafa Idris, the first Palestinian suicide bomber, was probably in a clinical depression. Her first and only child had been a stillborn and, as a result, she was now sterile. Her husband, who was also her first cousin, had divorced her over this and had already taken a second wife. She was mocked by family and friends and she understood that she had no future in Palestinian society. As a divorced and infertile woman, she was doubly "tainted." Her bleak prospects--due to Islamic and Palestinian misogyny and not to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict--were used to trap her into redeeming her dishonor by becoming a murdering martyr.

We cannot say that these women (or, for that matter, their male counterparts) are making "free" choices. No one is offering them the presidency of their country, an all-paid scholarship to a prestigious university--or, as a third choice, the opportunity to kill and die at a tender age. Their choices are "forced." They are probably not political extremists or revolutionaries in the Western sense. They have grown up in a tribal, Islamic society in which women are expected to sacrifice themselves in terrible and medieval ways.

Most recently, the case of Reem al-Riyashi suggests a similar and horrifying scenario. Several Israeli sources have discovered that this young mother of two very young children "was forced to carry out the suicide attack as punishment for cheating on her husband." Allegedly, al-Riyashi's husband was a Hamas activist and her lover was a Hamas operative who had carried out the love affair with the express purpose of recruiting her. According to the British Sunday Times, al-Riyashi's husband himself drove her to the border crossing.

This is unbelievable--and tragic. Had these men threatened to kill her children if she refused this mission? I would not be surprised.

Whatever the tragic circumstances, it is important to understand that the coercion of women by men to become suicide bombers is not an aberration in the Middle East. Myth aside, Islam is the largest and most savage practitioner of religious and gender apartheid on the planet. If you attend a college in the Western world, you'd have no way of knowing this--perhaps this is because many Western multi-cultural ideologues have muted their criticism of Islamic misogyny in order to propagandize for the victory of the Palestinians over the Zionists.

Traditionally, gender apartheid under Islam includes female genital mutilation, compulsory veiling, arranged marriage, sequestration, polygamy, stonings for alleged adultery, approved wife-beating, and Arab honor killings in which raped girls and women are killed by their father or brother for the crime of "dishonor" they have brought upon their family.

It is this context that compels us to stop romanticizing these homicide bombers--and presenting them as heroes.

I understand what the Israeli ambassador to Sweden felt when he saw the exhibit that glorified yet another Palestinian female suicide bomber: Hanadi Jaradat, who killed 22 innocent Israeli civilians, both Christian Arabs and Jews. Jaradat's smiling, serene face floated above a pool of civilian blood. The artwork had been done by an expatriate Israeli artist and installed at the entrance to a building that is to house an upcoming conference against genocide. The Swedes had promised the Israelis that the Middle East conflict was not going to be part of the conference.

But this art exhibit found a way to bring the Middle East conflict into the conference--in a way that justified and glorified homicidal/genocidal suicide bombers who, upon closer inspection, may be committing a "forced" suicide as their only way out.

Phyllis Chesler, Ph.D, is the author of twelve books, including the international bestseller WOMEN AND MADNESS. Her most recent book is The New Anti-Semitism: The Current Crisis and What We Must Do About It.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2004, 11:25:58 AM »

The Lifting of the Veil
By Alexis Amory
FrontPageMagazine.com | January 23, 2004

Earlier this week 20,000 women and girls clad in black sheets and headscarves topped by blue, white and red headbands, surged along the streets of central Paris, directed by hectoring men on loudspeakers, to protest the proposed French ban on the wearing of headscarves in state schools.  Similar protests took place in Stockholm and other European capitals in solidarity - and, as there’s something about wearing a shapeless sheet that renders Atkins a moot point, these gals were plenty solid.  They held aloft banners on which were variations of “France est ma patrie; la voile est ma vie!”  (“France is my country.  The scarf is my life.”)   In London, men and women protested (separately, of course) carrying signs proclaiming  "secularism has failed the world" and chanting for "female dignity" and an end to "secular vanity."

The proposed ban is being condemned by many of France’s Muslims (there are five million Muslims in France, eight per cent of the population; the largest in Western Europe) as a form of "religious harassment." Native French see it as about time.

France is a secular society.  State schools were started specifically as a counter-influence to early church schools. The government is using this to mask its real concern that the wearing of the headscarf by schoolgirls is being used by project-dwelling Muslims as an act of aggression against the host society.

The presence of the hijab in the classroom is not an issue in schools where the presence of eight or 10 headscarf-wearing Muslim girls in a classroom is barely noticed.  The problem is in the capital and the large industrial cities that are ringed with public housing that has majority Muslim populations.  The inhabitants, many second or third generation welfare recipients, are not the Arab middle class Muslims who come to the US for education, or to emigrate, and whose wish it is to integrate into the host society.

French Muslims are in the main from N Africa and emigrated en masse after France granted Algeria independence.   The second and third generation harbor ill-defined grudges against the host society  and engage in the behaviors of idle, disaffected young men elsewhere in the West, except with the toxic addition of religious hatred .

There are suburbs outside Paris, Lille, Lyons and other big industrial cities where Muslims make up the vast majority of the school-going population.  Some classrooms may have two or three native white French girls and 19 or 20 headscarf clad Muslims.  And the presence of the scarf and all that it implies in the way of religious imperialism has finally lit the tinderbox of the clash of values between the enlightened West and the bigotry of some Muslims.

First, it is divisive.  Given the large majority of Muslim girls in the classrooms in industrial areas, it marks French girls whose families have lived on French soil since time immemorial, as “different” and strangers in their own country.   Second, France has equality between the sexes, and wearing the scarf - in a Western secular country, as opposed to an Islamic society, where it is the norm and thus unremarkable - subconsciously gives males the advantage of not being “different”.   Third, it puts the onus of male behavior onto the shoulders of girls.  Who can blame a male for becoming inflamed if a girl is so bold as to reveal her hair?  France considers this an unfair burden on schoolgirls.

The French government could turn a blind eye - indeed, has turned a blind eye - to the last two aspects, but it is the hijab-clad majority, with its implied criticism of native French girls as being “shameless” that is now being used as an excuse for young male Muslim aggression against girls, and for Muslim aggression against the host society.

In the projects where native French are very much in the minority, native French girls are being bullied into adopting the headscarf.  Girls who are “bold” enough, or disrespectful enough of the Muslim majority, are being gang-raped by Muslim adolescents on the grounds that they need a lesson.  This is part of a new, rapidly developing “tradition”.  Teaching white girls a lesson for not wearing a headscarf not only has its own argot, but there is a mobile phone ring tone associated with it, too.   Small wonder that the parents of white daughters in the projects insist on them donning a scarf to leave their homes.  So the aggressive fist of militant Islam reaches out to control the host community.

In any event, the issue of the headscarf is, in a sense, a phony one.  It is not a religious requirement.  Nowhere is it required in the Koran, which merely directs that women dress “modestly”.   In the suburbs of the French industrial cities, it is a cultural badge.  A trademark.  

The 20,000 human spams who poured through the streets of Paris were insisting (“France est ma patrie; le voile est ma vie”) that the hijab is their choice.  But, the French state wants to know, is it?  Or is it worn at the insistence of male members of the family who do not want their daughters “looked at” by boys and men?  How many 12-year old Muslim girls are daring enough to disregard the orders of a male family member?  Are they allies in their own repression?  To be fair, protecting the rights of all their citizens is the business of the French government.

And the ban is on school property alone.  They are free to wear the hijab anywhere else.

There are those who predict that Chirac will back down over this, especially as France has just agreed to make bathing in municipal swimming pools, at certain hours, single sex only in response to demands from the Muslims.

The hijab issue, though, has taken off on a life of its own and Chirac will have noted that he has the backing of most of the 92% of French voters who are not Muslim.  Television talk panels have been breathtaking in their candor on the issue - far more bracing than anything that would appear on politically correct American or British TV.  

On a TV panel a few nights ago, there was the standard lefty Christian churchman apologist for Islam contending that the ban was “racist”.  OK.  Standard fare from lefty churchmen.  Pull the string and listen to a dog collar spout multi-culti boilerplate.  There were various French commentators arguing for the ban.  There was the standard issue overweight Muslim woman swathed from head to toe in what looked like white parachute silk who argued her points with a superior sneer on her face; there was a chic, slender Muslim woman, made up to the nines and hair teased out to there, who opined that the veil is crap and a well-dressed, polished and articulate Muslim man who argued politely for the hijab.  The host was even handed and intelligent.  It made for very interesting TV.

Will the government back down?  The media interest tells me they won’t.  In addition, the left has been strangely muted on the issue.

Sadly, having brought up religious symbolism in the classroom, the government is obliged to be even handed and the downside is, Jewish boys will have to abandon the skullcap during school hours, and Sikh boys, very much a tiny minority in the French population, will have to abandon their turbans, which are, unlike the scarf in Islam, an integral part of their religion.  This is a shame, because Jews and Sikhs are achievers at school and are peaceable and industrious contributors to the French economy and French society.   To be totally even-handed, the ban will also exclude the wearing of “large crosses”.

Vicki

« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2004, 12:16:04 PM »

OH FRANCE: Try this: CONTROL YOURSELVES OR YOU ARE OUT OF PUBLIC HOUSING. ONE CRIME....ONE FELONY, BY ANY MEMBER OF YOUR HOUSEHOLD....AND NO MORE GOVERNMENT FREEBIES. See how fast it stops.

Appalling.

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2004, 01:08:11 PM »

Vicki: WHAT?? That would put the left out of power.  And we BOTH know that the left needs political power to force the rest of us to buy into thier failed and flawed programs. Be they the French left or the American Left.

Vicki

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2004, 01:14:37 PM »

Max: is there a French right any more?

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2004, 01:16:29 PM »

vicki: wow that looks funny . . . .

UM, I actually think there are 3 or 4 remaining . . . ( I almost said left Wink )

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2004, 01:48:37 PM »

The following article reveals quite a different picture of Israel than that painted by her enemies.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/389616.html

Census: One quarter of Israel's children are Muslims  

By Moti Bassok

Four hundred and fifty thousand children below the age of 14, one quarter of Israel's total youth population, are Muslims, the Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) announced yesterday. Israel's total Muslim population stands at 1.7 million, 16 percent of the overall population, at the beginning of 2004.

According to data released by the CBS on the occasion of the Eid al-Adha festival, the Arab sector's growth rate over the past number of years stands at 3.4 percent. This figure is 2.4 times larger than the Jewish sector's growth rate, which stands at 1.4 percent. The growth rate among Israel's Muslim population is one of the highest in the world, including the rates of neighboring Arab states.

Nearly all the growth in the Muslim population, 98 percent, is attributed to natural growth (more births than deaths).

Only three percent of Israel's Muslim population is over the age of 65, while 12 percent of the Jewish population is older than 65.

Israel's Muslims live in some 186,000 households, some 10 percent of Israel's total households. 5.3 individuals live in the average Muslim household, compared to 3.1 individuals in the average Jewish home. At least one nuclear family lives in most Muslim homes in Israel. In just four percent of Muslim households live individuals without any family connections, compared to more than 20 percent in the Jewish sector.

Most Muslim households are traditional families comprising two parents and children. Four percent of families are headed by a single parent with at least one child aged 17 or younger, compared to seven percent in the Jewish sector.

Most Israeli Muslims live in primarily Arab communities, particularly when speaking of communities with less than 20,000 residents.

Jerusalem has the largest number of Muslim residents in Israel, and the 210,000 residents make up 20 percent of the country's total Muslim population and 31 percent of the capital city's general population.

Some 41,500 Muslims live in Nazareth, 37,900 in Umm el-Fahm, 34,000 in Rahat, 30,300 in Taibeh, 23,900 in Tamra, 21,300 in Sakhnin and 17,500 in Shfaram.

Forty percent of Muslims in Israel, more than 410,000 residents, live in the north, making up 36 percent of northern Israel's total population. More than 150,000 Muslims live in the Haifa district and another 130,000 Muslims live in each of the central, Tel Aviv and southern regions.

According to a population forecast made by the CBS, Muslims will make up 20 percent of Israel's population by 2020. Muslims will comprise 85 percent of the total Israeli Arab population by 2020, compared to 82 percent today.  

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2004, 10:00:07 AM »

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=12018

All I can say is - oy vey . . . .

jbc1949

St. Adeodatus--Given by God

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2004, 12:51:42 PM »

The following article reveals quite a different picture of Israel than that painted by her enemies.

Census: One quarter of Israel's children are Muslims  

By Moti Bassok

. . .

According to data released by the CBS on the occasion of the Eid al-Adha festival, the Arab sector's growth rate over the past number of years stands at 3.4 percent. This figure is 2.4 times larger than the Jewish sector's growth rate, which stands at 1.4 percent. The growth rate among Israel's Muslim population is one of the highest in the world, including the rates of neighboring Arab states.

Nearly all the growth in the Muslim population, 98 percent, is attributed to natural growth (more births than deaths).

Only three percent of Israel's Muslim population is over the age of 65, while 12 percent of the Jewish population is older than 65.

. . .

According to a population forecast made by the CBS, Muslims will make up 20 percent of Israel's population by 2020. Muslims will comprise 85 percent of the total Israeli Arab population by 2020, compared to 82 percent today.  

This is a powerful argument for outlawing birth control among the Jews of Israel! Smiley  Humanae Vitae doesn't seem so unreasonable in a Jewish context!

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2004, 07:48:37 PM »

JBC: the only problem I have with  the CR view of Birth control is their choice to equate it with abortion and thus with murder.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2004, 07:49:03 PM »

oops RC not CR

Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2004, 09:35:59 PM »

JBC: the only problem I have with  the CR view of Birth control is their choice to equate it with abortion and thus with murder.

First, some forms of artificial birth control are abortion in the eyes of the RC.  The birth control pill can act as an abortificant as well as preventing pregnancy.  

Second, if you mean "equate" in the sense that using artificial birth control and having an abortion are both mortal sins, then you're correct.  However, the Church's reasoning behind condemning both abortion and the use of contraception are very different.  The Church condemns the use contraception because it "renders procreation impossible."  A husband and wife are required to engage in "reciprocal self-giving" which is not possible (according to the RC's point of view) when contraception is used.  Abortion is condemned because the fetus is believed to be a life.  

BTW, abortion isn't technically "murder."  The phrase "abortion is murder" is thrown around because it's simplistic but it's not technically accurate.  Abortion is the "loss of fetal life."
jbc1949

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2004, 10:33:55 PM »

First, some forms of artificial birth control are abortion in the eyes of the RC.  The birth control pill can act as an abortificant as well as preventing pregnancy.

I am sorry I made the Humanae Vitae comment that you obviously took seriously.  I was trying to be ironic, sort of another way of emphasizing that the Jews of Israel are going to have a "population problem" in relation to the Moslems of Israel.    In retrospect it seems to me to have been a flippant remark on my part.  Muchas apologias!  Nevertheless, if you want to discuss "birth control" I'm willing to participate though I am not an expert on the issue. [I'll bet there is a pun somewhere in my last sentence!  Oops!  Flippant again!]

Yes, both the high dosage pill (the older pill) and the low dosage pill (the newer pill) are likely abortifacents at least some of the time, the newer pill more frequently so than the older one.  The phenomenon, of course, is "breakthrough" in which ovulation occurs anyway, subsequent fertilization takes place, but implantation of the blastocyst in the endometrial wall is prevented due to the hostle chemical environment of the womb.  The I.U.D. is NOT a birth control device--it is always an abortifacent.  I guess that leaves the condom and cervical cap (don't know if this latter one is still used) and perhaps spermicides.

Second, if you mean "equate" in the sense that using artificial birth control and having an abortion are both mortal sins, then you're correct.  However, the Church's reasoning behind condemning both abortion and the use of contraception are very different.  The Church condemns the use contraception because it "renders procreation impossible."  A husband and wife are required to engage in "reciprocal self-giving" which is not possible (according to the RC's point of view) when contraception is used.  Abortion is condemned because the fetus is believed to be a life.

Are you addressing Bro. Max's comments here or is this directed to me?  

In response to Bro. Max's comments, I have never heard the RCC equate forbidden methods of birth control with murder.  Then again, I may have missed something.    The RCC's objection to birth control is not just found in Humanae Vitae.  It is also found in Pius XI's Casti Connubi.  CC considers the unitive and procreative aspects of marriage as inseparable as does HV but is less "liberal" [relatively speaking] than HV in that it places greater emphasis on the procreative ends of marriage.  

BTW, abortion isn't technically "murder."  The phrase "abortion is murder" is thrown around because it's simplistic but it's not technically accurate.  Abortion is the "loss of fetal life."  

You lost me on this one.  Could you explain it a bit more?  Abortion is not "murder" because the secular law makes it legal.  Is that what you mean?  Technically, that's true, I think.

Again, sorry if I opened up a can of worms.  I guess I should be more careful with my remarks!

Jim C.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2004, 11:11:24 PM »

that "fetal life" you are referring to is a living soul. Murder is defined at M-W.com as: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought.  Abortion the taking of a another persons life with maile and aforethought.  It IS murder.

Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2004, 11:33:27 PM »

that "fetal life" you are referring to is a living soul. Murder is defined at M-W.com as: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought.  Abortion the taking of a another persons life with maile and aforethought.  It IS murder.

I got the definition I quoted from the old Catholic Encyclopedia.  Abortion can either be intentional or unintentional.  For example, a miscarriage is a "spontaneous abortion."  

Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2004, 11:35:13 PM »

In response to Bro. Max's comments, I have never heard the RCC equate forbidden methods of birth control with murder.

Neither have I, which is why I thought it was an odd statement.  He's not catholic, though, so how would he know?  

jbc1949

« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2004, 01:37:41 AM »

Neither have I, which is why I thought it was an odd statement.  He's not catholic, though, so how would he know?  

I'm not intending to speak for Bro. Max but I know a lot of Catholics that don't know much.  In other words, being a Catholic, or perhaps more appropriately saying you're one is no sort of "knowledge" credential nowadays.

MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2004, 01:12:40 PM »

I'm not intending to speak for Bro. Max but I know a lot of Catholics that don't know much.  In other words, being a Catholic, or perhaps more appropriately saying you're one is no sort of "knowledge" credential nowadays.

Quite right.  I'm a perfect example of this. Roll Eyes

You also don't have to be Catholic, nominally or in true faith, in order to know what they believe.

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2004, 01:25:44 PM »

MsG.: funny, I thought the same thing.  Of course, teaching in at a CATHOLIC school could never expose some one to RC beliefs. Roll Eyes

jbc1949

« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2004, 08:44:19 PM »

Of course, teaching in at a CATHOLIC school could never expose some one to RC beliefs. Roll Eyes

I know a Continuing Anglican priest who teaches biology at a Catholic High School in New Jersey.  He has told me of horror stories there.  Basically he was saying that "Catholic" high school was anything but Catholic!  Scary!

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2004, 08:59:08 PM »

JBC: depends upon the school.  The one I taught in over in Ireland was WONDERFUL.  Kids were well behaved, and cared about the things they were learning, academic as well as religious (they had me teach 7th form religion while I was there).  On the other hand, the High School I went to had a Catholic feeder school - and the kids coming out of St. Theresa's by and large anti-religion and totally against God.

AlexZello

Faith: The Christian

« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2008, 01:48:33 PM »

What do you think of Obadiah Shoher's views on the Middle East conflict? One can argue, of course, that Shoher is ultra-right, but his followers are far from being a marginal group. Also, he rejects Jewish moralistic reasoning - that's alone is highly unusual for the Israeli right. And he is very influential here in Israel. So what do you think?
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2008, 02:34:59 PM »

What do you think of Obadiah Shoher's views on the Middle East conflict? One can argue, of course, that Shoher is ultra-right, but his followers are far from being a marginal group. Also, he rejects Jewish moralistic reasoning - that's alone is highly unusual for the Israeli right. And he is very influential here in Israel. So what do you think?

And a big howdy to you too, AlexZello, whoever you are.  May we direct you to the thread on "Introductions" first?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
AlexZello

Faith: The Christian

« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2008, 12:46:52 AM »

uh, here's the site in question: Middle East conflict
Tags: Islam 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: