OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:04:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Maximus the Confessor a Saint?  (Read 5102 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »

^The only problem I might have lifting off Leo's anathema is that I think some EOs will start using the language found in his Tome (I.e. "the Word does this while the flesh does that"). I do not mind them venerating him per se.

In any case, I do not think Maximus' theology is all that problematic. From what I have read about him he seems orthodox.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:19:54 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »

^The only problem I might have lifting off Leo's anathema is that I think some EOs will start using the language found in his Tome (I.e. "the Word does this while the flesh does that"). I do not mind them venerating him per se.
EOs already do use that language.

Did you mean that you're afraid OOs will start doing it?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:28:02 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2011, 02:28:52 PM »

I do have some problems with Maximus not least because I think he failed to understand the Orthodox miathelite position and that all those who speak of one will are tarred with the same brush. I think he prevented a proper reconciliation taking place.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »

EOs already do use that language.

Did you mean that you're afraid OOs will start doing it?
I am afraid they will use that language WHILE being united to our Church. Thus, the OOC might be influenced by Leonian Christology.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2011, 02:30:34 PM »

I do have some problems with Maximus not least because I think he failed to understand the Orthodox miathelite position and that all those who speak of one will are tarred with the same brush. I think he prevented a proper reconciliation taking place.
I do realize that he hindered reconciliation. But would you say that his Christology itself was substantially orthodox?

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »

I think that the christology of the post-553 Chalcedonians is generally and substantially Orthodox enough. The are other issues which have prevented reunion.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »

^As I have mentioned in my Nine Chapters thread, had some Chalcedonians accepted equally orthodox modes of christological expression without rigidly insisting on a duality of natures, wills, and energies in Christ we probably would have reunited a long time ago. It would seem as if the Melkite Patr. Cyrus believed in the Pseudo-Dionysian Formula "one theandric energy", rather than a heretical form of monoenergism.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:40:52 PM by Severian » Logged

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2011, 04:23:35 PM »

I am just about to start reading Will, Action and Freedom - Christological Controversies in the Seventh Century by Cyril Hovorun.

I hope that it will be an interesting read.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »

had some non-Chalcedonians accepted equally orthodox modes of christological expression without rigidly insisting on a singularity of natures, wills, and energies in Christ we probably would have reunited a long time ago.
Cheesy

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »

had some non-Chalcedonians accepted equally orthodox modes of christological expression without rigidly insisting on a singularity of natures, wills, and energies in Christ we probably would have reunited a long time ago.
Cheesy
Touche! laugh

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »

Unfortunately the issue was always the status of Chalcedon since agreement could be reached on the substance of the faith.

Tags: saints one will NVM was here 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: