Author Topic: MATT. 10:16 "Wise as serpents, gentle as the doves."  (Read 9368 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
MATT. 10:16 "Wise as serpents, gentle as the doves."
« on: January 31, 2010, 12:55:18 AM »
Hey y'all,

Matthew 10:16 has always been an interesting verse for me, yet I've never really thought I fully understood it.  What do all y'all suppose it's meaning is for us?

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves.  Become therefore wise as the serpents and guileless as the sheep."  New Testament, Evangelistarion, Holy Apostles Convent.

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves.  Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves." OSB

What does it mean to be 'wise as serpents and harmless as doves'?  Who are the 'wolves'?  It seems that there are issues of trust at hand, as well as implications of turning the other cheek.

Thanks a million!
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Re: MATT. 10:16 "Wise as serpents, gentle as the doves."
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 02:34:25 AM »
*bump*

Anyone?
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:23:32 AM »
Gabriel,

The OSB note on the verse says...

Persecution accompanies Christian mission because of humanity's sin and rebelliousness against God. Jesus instructed the disciples to be wise as serpents that they might not be unnecessarily wounded, and harmless as doves that they should not retaliate against those who do them wrong.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:24:26 AM by Riddikulus »
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »
Gabriel,

The OSB note on the verse says...

Persecution accompanies Christian mission because of humanity's sin and rebelliousness against God. Jesus instructed the disciples to be wise as serpents that they might not be unnecessarily wounded, and harmless as doves that they should not retaliate against those who do them wrong.

This verse was quoted a lot in my former church, and I always took it to mean what Riddi posted-being shrewd and cautious but at the same time ever non-resistant and loving.
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:43:33 PM »
There is nothing wrong with being wise, intelligent and clever as long as the talent is used in such a way as to not harm the innocent.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »
Snakes are smart.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:18:37 AM »
I think it points to a spiritual pragmatism. We are not to be so naive and gullible that we bring unecessary harm to ourselves our our Christian brethren, or that we impede the spread of the Gospel. But on the other hand, we are not to rely on the dishonest and purely expedient methods of the world. We must be strategic and practical while maintaining integrity and manifesting love in all our endeavors.

IMHO, Dr. King's Civil Rights efforts are a great example of this. Very calculated and very strategic without compromising the core values of love and integrity when dealing with evil people.

Just my two cents.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx