OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 09:57:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Georgians in the USA  (Read 895 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: January 26, 2010, 05:10:46 PM »

Upon donation and assistance by Georgians living in the United States there is hired a premise for Holy Queen Tamar’s Church in Washington. The first Divine Liturgy was held on 8-9 of January. Upon blessing by His Holiness and Beatitude Catholicos Patriarch of All Georgia Ilia II and Holy Synod Decision there were opened several parish communities throughout the United States last year. Holy Synod appointed Metropolitan Dimitri of Batumi and Lazeti Diocese to rule the parish communities in North America and Canada. Upon blessing by His Holiness two Georgian priests Father Peter and Father John began their activity in Philadelphia and Los-Angeles and San-Francisco respectively.

Father Alexander has been conducted liturgy at St. Nino’s Church in New York for a long time. Father Nicolas is sent to Atlanta, Georgia. And, Father Matthew is about to leave for Chicago in a week to serve at Holy King Vakhtang Gorgasali’s Church there.

Archpriest Peter Kruashvili, “This is the third Georgian church in the United States where we can serve Divine Liturgy at any time. Upon God’s blessing each priest tries to open new Georgian churches and gather Georgian parish to prepare get back to our motherland.”

Archpriest Peter Kruashvili met with Georgian parish in Washington, Maryland, and Virginia just last year. He says the parish was ready to meet the priest, “The situation in Washington was much better than in other states as Archpriest Michael Popkhadze was there. In fact, he created a spiritual temple in their hearts. I’ve just continued his deeds. People have lived Christian lifestyle here and it was easy to open a church due to their contribution and donation here.”

Georgian Church opening ceremony was attended by Georgian emigrants from other states all over the USA. Mr. Koba Bukvaidze is among them. He graduated from Tbilisi Theologian Seminary and wished to continue his activity in that way, “This is truly great day for Georgians here. Thanks God, thanks Father Peter for all his efforts and hard work to gather Georgians. Let’s hope to see new nuns at Holy King David the Builder Church-Monastery by 27th of January on St. Nino’s Day. The Monastery was purchased by local Georgians here. And, Divine Liturgy is being conducted on every Sunday there.”

Sophia Tavartkiladze has lived with her family in Washington for 10 years. She used to attend Russian and Georgian liturgies at American orthodox church, “We had a priest and sheltered in Russian church for 10 years. That was the place to form the basis for our Georgian church here. After father Peter’s arrival we began to seek our own premise. We collected donations and managed to open Georgian church. It will certainly turn into educational place, where Georgian language, our spiritual and cultural values will flourish.”

As Father Peter says, “Georgians were spiritually ready here. Father Michael has nurtured them according to orthodox canons. They attended services at different churches because of having no Georgian church here. We have opened Georgian church here. And, our next step forward is to build truly Georgian church according to Georgian architecture for Georgian parish living in Washington, Virginia, Maryland, Baltimore and other states.”

source

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:34:05 PM »

What Orthodoxy needed, another jurisdiction in North America.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 06:05:01 PM »

I'm a little torn- it's sad to see more jurisdictional splitting, but I'm really excited to be able to hear Georgian chant first hand. There's going to be a Georgian church opening in Philadelphia in the near future.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 06:27:42 PM »

I'm a little torn- it's sad to see more jurisdictional splitting, but I'm really excited to be able to hear Georgian chant first hand. There's going to be a Georgian church opening in Philadelphia in the near future.
I'm all in favor for the Georgians getting the means to resist assimilation into a Slavic mass.  I would have preferred a Diocese like the Romanians, Albanians and Bulgarians have.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
iustinos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 03:33:46 PM »

When Jerusalem set up parishes in the 90s it caused a real problem, in part due to how late in the game it is.  I'll be interested to see if that happens with Georgians, and if so, who calls foul.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:34:06 PM by iustinos » Logged
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »

When Jerusalem set up parishes in the 90s it caused a real problem, in part due to how late in the game it is.  I'll be interested to see if that happens with Georgians, and if so, who calls foul.

Actually, Jerusalem has been here as long as Constantinople has:
http://orthodoxhistory.org/?s=Jerusalem

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 03:49:20 PM »

How do you make of this in light of the Gruzia's supposed recognition of the OCA's autocephaly?
iustinos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 03:54:38 PM »

Actually, Jerusalem has been here as long as Constantinople has:
http://orthodoxhistory.org/?s=Jerusalem

I understand that, but if I recall the lateness was one of the issues raised---even if the real issues were something entirely different.  But I may not recall correctly.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 04:09:31 PM »

How do you make of this in light of the Gruzia's supposed recognition of the OCA's autocephaly?
The same of Bulgaria's.

Somewhere here I think reference was made to some conversations I had at AOI on the situation of North America.  I'd welcome more involement of Poland and the Czech and Slovak Churches too.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »

Somewhere here I think reference was made to some conversations I had at AOI on the situation of North America.  I'd welcome more involement of Poland and the Czech and Slovak Churches too.

And Greek, Cypriot and Alexandrian also!

Won't the Georgian Parishes be considered metochions?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:03:09 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Georgian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: