Author Topic: Silent prayers and opening of the Royal Doors  (Read 11422 times)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Silent prayers and opening of the Royal Doors
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2010, 11:46:01 AM »
I've heard the people say "Amen" to the epiklesis only here in America, at an OCA church and at an Antiochian one. Never back home, never in a Greek church.

It depends on what Greek Church you attend.  Both the one I grew up at and the one I serve currently say the epiclesis aloud with the people responding with the "Amen."  At the Theological school, it was said "mystically," with only those in the altar responding (deacons if there were any, other clergy, etc.).
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Mickey

• OC.net guru
Re: Silent prayers and opening of the Royal Doors
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »
It depends on what Greek Church you attend.  Both the one I grew up at and the one I serve currently say the epiclesis aloud with the people responding with the "Amen."  At the Theological school, it was said "mystically," with only those in the altar responding (deacons if there were any, other clergy, etc.).

I like the mystical option.  ;D