OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:22:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easter celebration traditions in your country  (Read 1216 times) Average Rating: 0
iliyaisd

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow

« on: January 26, 2010, 05:01:26 AM »

Hello! Smiley
Dear friends, I'm preparing a newspaper about the Easter celebration traditions in different countries and in different Orthodox churches. Could you tell a bit about them? Do you have some interesting traditions concerning the Easter? Cirtainly, the service itself doesn't change, but maybe you have some interesting peculiarities, which aren't quite liturgical, but are being connected with the Easter service? Which Easter traditions are common for Orthodox people in your country? You can tell that this information could be found in the network, but it is really interesting to communicate with the person who really share these traditions and can tell about them him- or herself. Also it would be very interesting if you upload the photos or videos made in your church in the Easter. Thank you VERY MUCH! Smiley
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:19:16 AM »

Easter tends to not mean a whole heck of a lot for most in my country.  Wink

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:30:02 PM »

Neighbors and friends exchange dyed eggs.
Preceding Easter, starting with the vigil of the Great Thursday a great bonfire is lit in the courtyard of the church and maintained until the Great Saturday.
No bell ringing between the 12 Gospels and Easter night, only the semantron used those days.
Village dances resume.
Visits to the cemetery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDQ5FHqxma8
The orchard trees and all trees around the house whitewashed during the week preceding Palm Sunday; peasants avoid sowing anything this week, believing they will only yield flowers, but no fruit.
Old enemies try making peace before Easter, since it is considered that the main feast of the whole year should find all at peace with each other.
easter kept by refraining from work for three whole days.
Blessing of the graves, dyeing eggs again on Thomas Sunday.
These are traditions seen by me, but they vary from region to region.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:45:41 PM »

In the United States, parents give their children baskets full of chocolates and sweets, and have them hunt for died or plastic eggs outside.  The plastic eggs often contain candy or small amounts of money.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:45:53 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:10:07 PM »

In the United States, parents give their children baskets full of chocolates and sweets, and have them hunt for died or plastic eggs outside.  The plastic eggs often contain candy or small amounts of money.

erk.  I think that should by "dyed" eggs.  Hard boiled eggs that have "died" are not nice to find. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »

It's been a custom in the US to have new clothing for Easter if possible. (Or am I showing my age?  Smiley )

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 03:15:48 PM »

It's been a custom in the US to have new clothing for Easter if possible. (Or am I showing my age?  Smiley )

I've seen many Orthodox families do this; they purchase new (nice) clothing for the kids to wear beginning at the midnight service.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:16:00 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 03:18:07 PM »

yes, I should have said that I meant nice or dressy or special occasion clothing.  Not a new t-shirt or some such. 

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »

As is the custom with many Slavs, including Orthodox, Eastern Catholic and Latin Catholics, the preparation of foods for the blessing of the basket is one of the highlights of the Rusyn family's Paschal celebrations. The basket usually includes (with provision for local variants) the paska bread, smoked meats (i.e. ham, bacon and kolbasa), dyed (pysanky) or etched eggs , prepared beets with horseradish, homemade cheese, salt and, of course - butter! The basket is arranged by the mother, a blessed candle is brought along, and the crowning glory is the hand-embroidered basket cover which may vary by region in design but which always proclaims - Christos Voskres! Christ is Risen! The family will bring the basket to Church where all of the parish's baskets are blessed by the priest. This practice remains strong in the United States among both the Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Rusyns and their descendants. Here are a few photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dmdrusyn/EasterPaschaTraditions?locked=true
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 04:27:53 PM »

On the Greek island of Chios

there's a small town called Vrontados

In this town the two churches Haghios Markos and Panaghia Erythiani face each other from across a ravine.
Every Easter, rival members attempt to ring the bell of the opposite church with...rockets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwYrPhLBvz8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »

Apostolos: it's the most bizarre tradition I've ever heard of.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »

During Lent in da land of Picksburg, Pensivania, we hang dem plastic Easter eggs from trees n'at. Hauscome? Don't know.  

Da day after Pascha, yinz must visit yinzes church friends and sit arahnd n’at.  Don't jano yinz have got to eat alzthat left over kilbassa and alzam eggs.
---------------------------
iliyaisd-The above is written in a dialect. Pittsburgh is a city in the state of Pennsylvania (USA).  It says: During Lent, we hang plastic Easter eggs from trees in our front yard.  Why do we do this?  I do not know.

http://www.donnan.com/images/EasterEggTree.jpg

The day after Pascha, we visit our church friends.  We eat all of our Pascha basket's sausiski and eggs.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:51:49 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 09:21:31 PM »

iliyaisd,

Welcome to the forum!

You ask a fascinating question, but I would like you to elaborate a little more on what information you are seeking.  This is the Oriental Orthodox (OO) section of OCnet.  The OO Churches are the Coptic, Armenian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, Indian, and Syriac Churches.  Are you specifically asking for information about the traditions of the people of these Churches?  When you ask about what is common for people "in your country," are you asking about traditions that have been kept here in the US, or are you asking about traditions back in the "Old Country?"

I'm only asking because if you want information about Orthodox cultures in general, not just OO, I should probably move this to a different section of OC.net, so more people can respond to it.  It would also help if you clarified if you are asking about the US, or other Orthodox countries from which the various Churches come.

Thanks.   Smiley

iliyaisd

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »

Dear friends, thank you very much for the information! All this is really interesting and will be used by me in the article. Some of these traditions are kept in our country too...
Dear Salpy, I've understood my mistake of writing to the Oriental Orthodox section, but the answeres given here were very useful and interesting, though initially the question, really, was addressed to representatives of all Orthodox Churches. So, how do you think, what section this topic might be moved to?.. Thanks!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 06:54:33 PM »

Thanks for answering my question.  I'm glad the info has been helpful so far.  I'll move it to a section where it will get more attention from a wider group. 

iliyaisd

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 07:03:17 PM »

Thank you!
Tags: Easter  temple  celebration  tradition  photo Pascha 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: