OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 03:56:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we clean the home censer?  (Read 925 times) Average Rating: 0
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« on: January 26, 2010, 01:03:29 AM »

I understand that we may wash our home hand censer in a pan and pour the used water on a place where it will not be stepped on.  However, there is a lot of build-up on the inside and surrounding the holes on the outside.  What type of solution can be used to clean away this build up?  How do you clean your censers?  The hand censer I have is gold-plated aluminum and would not withstand scrubbing as a brass one would.

Thanks!
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:06:49 AM »

Nail polish remover (or acetone, if you can find it) will help remove the sticky residue from the resins.

Proverbs 22:7
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:15:32 AM »

If its a lot of build up, scrape the ashes with a stick as much as you can then burn the stick in a fireplace and wash the censer as you describe. Then, before using it again, line the inside with a few layers of aluminium foil. This will keep it clean, and the foil can be replaced and the old one burnt in the fireplace to remove any residue then thrown out. I only need to do this about once a year.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:17:49 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags: icon corner censer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: