OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 05:43:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Birth Control book  (Read 1469 times) Average Rating: 0
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« on: December 27, 2003, 04:19:21 AM »

Turning Point:
The Inside Story of the Papal Birth Control Commission, and How Humanae Vitae Changed the Life of Patty Crowley and the Future of the Church
by Robert McClory

If anyone hasn't read this book, you won't be able to put it down, especially if you've never given yourself the chance to get the other side of the story.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 05:47:14 AM »

Hiya

Unfortunately I didn't became Orthodox till relatively late in child begetting terms and my wife isn't Orthodox yet anyhow, and we always had trouble getting pregnant so we weren't so bothered about contraception which is how the last one turned up. And my wife had to have a hysterectomy so it's all too late now and I think I'd have given NFP a good try.

But what are the sides that this is the other side of?

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 06:59:04 AM »

Hi Pete,

The other side of the story is the testimony of faithful RC couples who endured the hardships of the real world, as opposed to those living in a Manichean world of ideas. I never thought the issue would be that complicated because I simply accepted the RC teaching without question. If anyone thinks the contraception issue is all black and white, they should read this book.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 11:24:56 AM »

I suppose my wife and I live in "a Manichean world of ideas" since we consider our usage of Birth Control (rythym method) to be sinful. Sigh. At least we have every single Father and Church council on our side in saying that we are wrong. Weird that that should give me some consolation, but it does.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 08:00:37 PM »

The straw man argument was unnecessary. I was referring to the Vatican.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 09:10:26 PM »

Hi Pete,

The other side of the story is the testimony of faithful RC couples who endured the hardships of the real world, as opposed to those living in a Manichean world of ideas. I never thought the issue would be that complicated because I simply accepted the RC teaching without question. If anyone thinks the contraception issue is all black and white, they should read this book.

Are you saying that this book is against Humanae Vitae?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2003, 10:06:43 PM »

Mary,

I wouldn't say the book is against Humanae Vitae (i'm 3/4 of the way through, if there is a shift in that direction then i'll let you know).The book documents the actions of the Birth Control Commission established by the Pope in the early 60's, which came to the conclusion that a change in the RCC's teaching was necessary, many of whom were initially against any change. It also outlines the factors influencing Pope Paul VI's final decision and the politics of the Vatican. It gives valuable insight into how complicated the issue really was and looks at how the increasing role of the laity helped in the area of redefining marriage and sexuality away from juridicalism.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 10:57:52 PM »

Another great book about birth controll is by Kimberly Hann entitled "Life giving love". Kimberly Hann is the wife of Roman Catholic apoligist Scott Hann. Although I am Orthodox, this is an area which the orthodox and the RC's can unite on.  

Mrs Hann explains her and her husbands journey in rejecting contraception (which happened to them as protestants), and lays down the the philisophical reasons, as well as the ancient church's teaching on contraceptives through the centuries, against contraceptives.

This book is a must read for any married couples, or anyone interested in this subject.

ORTHODOX BAGPIPER

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: