OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:18:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox youth from USA to worship St. Xenia and St. John of Kronstadt relics  (Read 1594 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: January 23, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »

Interfax:

Orthodox youth from USA to worship St. Xenia and St. John of Kronstadt relics

St. Petersburg, January 22, Interfax - St. Tatiana International Youth Meetings have started in the Northern capital on Friday.

Students of the country’s leading higher educational establishments and members of Orthodox youth organizations will attend the Meetings timed for the Student Day. Students from the USA, descendants of Russian emigrants of the early 20th century, will also come to celebrations, the Petersburg Diocese reports.

Organizers will give a ball in the Baron Stiglitz Manson and hold excursions and pilgrimages for participants. Besides, young people will visit the Memorial Museum of Feodor Dostoyevsky and venerate holy relics of St. Xenia of Petersburg and John of Krondstadt.

Students from Russia and USA will also participate in a symposium where they can listen to lectures of Orthodox theologians of Petersburg and New York.

======================

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »

I think the translation is off because as I understand it, Orthodox Christians do NOT "worship" relics.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »

We actually do worship them: "proskynoumen".
We bring them "proskynisis"/"douleia", but not "latreia".
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:34:28 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »

I think the translation is off because as I understand it, Orthodox Christians do NOT "worship" relics.

The word "worship" can mean either veneration or adoration, so yes, we do.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 02:33:38 PM »

Well, we sort of do. The word "worship" can EITHER mean adoration or veneration. Nowadays, it means the former. But older Orthodox texts speak of the worship of the saints, etc..

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »

The word "worship" can mean either veneration or adoration, so yes, we do.

Yep.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »

Even "adoration" (<Lat. adoratio< adorare) was pretty loosely used in ecclesiastical Latin, both patristic and liturgical. I would say that there wasn't any very sharp distinction between  "venerari" and "adorare" .
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 02:44:42 PM »

To clarify a bad translation:  there are three degrees of worship:  Latria (which involves sacrifice, and is due to God alone), hyperdulia (veneration of the Theotokos and her relics), and dulia (veneration of other Saints and their relics).  These distinctions were formulated in the time of St. John Damascene, and received assent from the Seventh Ecumenical Council.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »

Even "adoration" (<Lat. adoratio< adorare) was pretty loosely used in ecclesiastical Latin, both patristic and liturgical. I would say that there wasn't any very sharp distinction between  "venerari" and "adorare" .

Right, this can be seen in the "adoration of the cross."

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 05:02:40 AM »

To clarify a bad translation:  there are three degrees of worship:  Latria (which involves sacrifice, and is due to God alone), hyperdulia (veneration of the Theotokos and her relics), and dulia (veneration of other Saints and their relics).  These distinctions were formulated in the time of St. John Damascene, and received assent from the Seventh Ecumenical Council.

Is this so? I didn't not know that the concept of "hyperdulia" was formulated outside the Roman church.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »

Maybe not explicitly, but there's a certain implicit notion of it in the way we venerate the Theotokos.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 04:27:53 PM »

Even "adoration" (<Lat. adoratio< adorare) was pretty loosely used in ecclesiastical Latin, both patristic and liturgical. I would say that there wasn't any very sharp distinction between  "venerari" and "adorare".

Isn't this just admitting what the Protestants are so concerned about?
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »

I suppose so, but, to repeat, it's just one more example of seeking to define everything to a T in the vain hope that if only we could define everything to a T, we'd see all things clearly and be saved.

This is why Alexei Khomiakov, replying to a Protestant's question about how to seek the purity of the primitive Church, said, "First of all, throw off your Roman Catholicism."

The end of the world
watch and pray.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 05:41:23 PM »

Even "adoration" (<Lat. adoratio< adorare) was pretty loosely used in ecclesiastical Latin, both patristic and liturgical. I would say that there wasn't any very sharp distinction between  "venerari" and "adorare".

Isn't this just admitting what the Protestants are so concerned about?

Seeing as how there is still a distinction between "dulia" and "latria", I would think that it is still clear that we do not worship our saints as if they are God.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 05:41:58 PM »

Maybe not explicitly, but there's a certain implicit notion of it in the way we venerate the Theotokos.

I never really understood the distinction between "dulia" and "hyperdulia", it seems a little artificial.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »

I never really understood the distinction between "dulia" and "hyperdulia", it seems a little artificial.

Can you not tell that the Mother of God holds the place of Champion Leader among the saints?  She is the foremost saint; Chief of the Saints, the Queen of Heaven.  Her dulia is certainly hyper.  We might honor St. Patrick, but we don't bring him up in almost every proscribed prayer.  We do with her, so the veneration is heightened to a special level.  Would you agree?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 12:24:47 AM »

Can you not tell that the Mother of God holds the place of Champion Leader among the saints?  She is the foremost saint; Chief of the Saints, the Queen of Heaven.  Her dulia is certainly hyper.  We might honor St. Patrick, but we don't bring him up in almost every proscribed prayer.  We do with her, so the veneration is heightened to a special level.  Would you agree?

Oh, so hyperdulia isn't actually different in substance from dulia but only in degree?

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 01:03:39 AM »

Acts 10:25-26

And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him. But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man.

Rev 22:8-9

And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

"Proskuneo" is the word used for "worship" in both of these passages. I'm not sure but it looks like the word at one time actually meant "worship" in the context which Protestants accuse both Catholics and Orthodox of giving to saints and relics. It looks like the distinction between use of the words proskunesis and latreia for veneration and worshop was clarified by the Church at some point in time to clarify teaching and practice. Orthodoxy does make a clear distinction between veneratin and worship and what type of honor belongs to God alone and what type of honor is used to glorify God through His saints, icons, and relics.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 03:07:06 AM »

Oh, so hyperdulia isn't actually different in substance from dulia but only in degree?

Well, I have no knowledge of any language outside of English, so all I can say is that is how I've always interpreted the distinction, or at least how it comes across in English.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 03:20:55 AM »

Well, I have no knowledge of any language outside of English, so all I can say is that is how I've always interpreted the distinction, or at least how it comes across in English.

If so, yes, I agree with your perspective.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: