OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 05:53:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strict Coptic restrictions on drink  (Read 1889 times) Average Rating: 0
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« on: January 23, 2010, 01:14:36 AM »

Could a Copt explain this to me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcTyL2u-FhE

Do you really have such restrictions against strong distilled drink like gin or--God forbid you should not be allowed to drink it--`araq?  Is not the responsible enjoyment of alcohol accepted or the good comfort of light inebriation something you may enjoy--drinking from mazaaj is considered improper?  (What surprises me is that there may be classes of drink that for you are verboten as they are, and the permissibility of drinking them not related to whether or not you avoid drunkenness.)

If so, then how would this be seen in the light of other Oriental Orthodox Churches that may not be as  strict?
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:01:28 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rfc0S7fuko

I already know the Ethiopians do not eat swine's flesh in observance of the Mosaic law (despite the New Testament's freeing us of this prohibition against pork), which I thought was peculiar to their own rescension of the Coptic tradition.  Are these precepts of the law binding as well in the Coptic Church, too?  And more to the point, if so, is this understood as the local Church in Egypt choosing to hold onto this traditional Jewish precept through the power of binding and loosing of its clergy, or as an immutable commandment?  If the latter, well, what to say of the rest of us?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:02:11 AM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:28:05 AM »

After watching this over again, I am getting the feeling that the Father is being intentionally obtuse and evasive.  After all, these are not topics I reckon he can feel entirely comfortable discussing openly to an Egyptian audience if the society is becoming ever more strict nowadays.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 02:39:50 AM »

I don't understand the videos, but the issue of alcohol among Coptic Orthodox Christians is discussed a bit here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,8265.0.html

SamB
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 02:47:06 AM »

Thanks, Salpy.  That's either the wrong link or a private forum I do not have access to.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 02:55:06 AM »

You're right; I'm sorry.  I didn't realize it is in the private forum.  It's not really polemical, so I don't really understand why it is there.  If you want to get into that forum, all you have to do is pm Fr. Chris and tell him you want into the private forum. 

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »

This Coptic priest is silly, and I get a sense his explanations are only to comfort the Muslims around him.

If you can't drink wine for comfort, then why did Christ make wine for a wedding?  Probably he'll be one of those priests where he would say Christ didn't make wine, he made grape juice.

Nothing but inconsistency and complication in his answers.  Even Amr Adib recognized the inconsistency, "how can you say gin is haram and yet wine is okay" and then Abouna replies "well as lone as you're not drinking for personal pleasure, but only for stomach pains, or if you live in a cold environment, etc."  It's just one of those Abounas whose use of Biblical "science" shows how ignorant he is.

One time, my father and a bunch of med students asked a priest why our church decrees that a female infant must be baptized 80 days later while the male infant only 40?  One would expect the answer of, "this was a judaic practice that we preserved in the church."  Instead, he went on a rant how a woman's menstrual uncleanliness is longer when she gives birth to a girl.  You can imagine how annoyed at the priest the students were, and he knew well these were med students.

And no, there are many much more educated Copts who understand clearly alcohol isn't "haram" as long as it's in moderation or less.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:20:12 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church alcohol 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: