OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 07:52:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An easy to understand Orthodox bible?  (Read 2884 times) Average Rating: 0
forevervegan

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: January 23, 2010, 12:12:20 AM »

Hey, I'm in high school, and I recently converted to Orthodox Christianity. I have a young adult bible that my parents got for me like 4 years ago, and it's pretty easy to understand. Reading all the old language in other bibles kind of makes my head hurt. =P I've looked up some stuff, but the only one I can find in my local bookstore is the "Orthodox Study Bible" and I read reviews that say it really isn't very good... I don't know. My church has a bookstore too, so I'll probably look there before ceasing to look.

Anyway, is it okay if I just keep to my teen bible even if it's not specifically Orthodox? I know it misses out on the extra chapters, but IDK if I can spend like 50 dollars on a bible I'm not sure about.

Thanks for reading. =)
forevervegan

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:15:20 AM »

Also, if anyone can direct me to an easy to understand Orthodox bible like on amazon or something, I'd be really grateful. I forgot the topic name probably seems unrelated to my actual post. =P I'm mostly concerned about keeping the bible I have currently though.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:22:25 AM by forevervegan » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 12:15:36 AM »

Hey, I'm in high school, and I recently converted to Orthodox Christianity. I have a young adult bible that my parents got for me like 4 years ago, and it's pretty easy to understand. Reading all the old language in other bibles kind of makes my head hurt. =P I've looked up some stuff, but the only one I can find in my local bookstore is the "Orthodox Study Bible" and I read reviews that say it really isn't very good... I don't know. My church has a bookstore too, so I'll probably look there before ceasing to look.

Anyway, is it okay if I just keep to my teen bible even if it's not specifically Orthodox? I know it misses out on the extra chapters, but IDK if I can spend like 50 dollars on a bible I'm not sure about.

Thanks for reading. =)

Welcome home!

What Bible translation was it? In most cases it would be fine.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
forevervegan

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:18:55 AM »

Are you talking about the Bible I own? If so, it's called "Truthquest", the New Living translation... I don't know about specifics.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »

Welcome home!  Smiley

For now, I agree with Isa.  But you'll want to start saving up for the OSB or some other Orthodox Bible at some point.  With what you have now, you not only may miss out on the Apocryphal books, you may get a very bad translation altogether.  Keep reading what you have, just check what you read with your priest.  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
forevervegan

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:43:31 AM »

Thanks. I'll be sure to save up for an Orthodox one soon. =)
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
2Cor. 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
Moderated

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Julian Calender

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 04:21:38 AM »

This looks like the easiest, but they only have the New testament.
You can download the whole thing from this sight to check it out.
Its very easy to read, and its very very accurate from looking at the page.
They only have the New Testament, but the old will be out soon.
I dont have a credit card, but im getting one, and I will buy this bible because its so accurate and easy to read.

http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/eob/purchase.asp

It looks very legitimate...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:24:17 AM by Get_Behind_Me_Satan » Logged

“The testimonies of the western teachers I neither recognize or accept. I surmise that they are corrupted.
There can be no compromise in matters of the Orthodox Faith.”

St Mark Of Ephesus, Doctor of the church. (True Church)

Down with ecumenism!
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 06:31:23 AM »

This looks like the easiest, but they only have the New testament.
You can download the whole thing from this sight to check it out.

A direct link: http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/eob/download/nt6x9.pdf

Peter Papoutsis, on the other hand, only has the Old Testament and still not the whole of it (samples of the available Books: here).

As far as OSB is concerned, I believe it's not that bad.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 09:18:46 AM »

Are you talking about the Bible I own? If so, it's called "Truthquest", the New Living translation... I don't know about specifics.
If you can get the Oxford Revised Standard Study Bible (NOT the New Revised Standard), the language is not archaic, but not simplified.  You can also get the Good New Bible if you are going straight for language understanding (as opposed to theological).  The OSB has its faults (my biggest criticism is that it doesn't have Maccabees IV), but decent enough of a translation with features that offset its demerits.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »

The OSB has its faults (my biggest criticism is that it doesn't have Maccabees IV). . .

Well, this book is an appendix, so not obligatory for Orthodox Bible editions. But still, if someone wants to have it on their bookshelf, hopefully around the time of Pascha, The EOB Companion to the OSB will be released. This volume will contain 4 Macc (http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/eob/news.asp).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:38:22 AM by Michał » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »

I have the Orthodox Study Bible and I like it. There are some things that I think could be improved upon, but I think it's a good place to start. It's a modified New King James Version of the Bible, so it's not too difficult to read.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
forevervegan

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'll check out the links when I have some time later today.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 02:05:44 PM »

Here's another New Testament I think you and everyone else would find useful.  It's published by the Holy Apostles Convent/Dormition Skete and comes in two volumes.  I really love reading from mine, but I should say that these two volumes are both kind of pricey as well as not really easy to read.  I just wanted to make you aware of them because after each book, there are copious explanatory notes/quotes from the early Fathers.  This is what I have particularly found useful.  Here's the link to their website:

http://www.holyapostlesconvent.org/HacWebStore/product_info.php?products_id=8&osCsid=d391f82156955e16f08f647da1e09f40

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »

Here's another New Testament I think you and everyone else would find useful.  It's published by the Holy Apostles Convent/Dormition Skete and comes in two volumes.  I really love reading from mine, but I should say that these two volumes are both kind of pricey as well as not really easy to read.  I just wanted to make you aware of them because after each book, there are copious explanatory notes/quotes from the early Fathers.  This is what I have particularly found useful.  Here's the link to their website:

http://www.holyapostlesconvent.org/HacWebStore/product_info.php?products_id=8&osCsid=d391f82156955e16f08f647da1e09f40

Yes, I like a lot of the notes, etc. Not so crazy about the translation.

samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 04:45:14 PM »

I would suggest not sticking with the New Living Translation. Keep in mind that it's more of a paraphrase and not a translation proper.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »

Huh But what you are recommending is not easy to understand, not Orthodox, and not a Bible.
forevervegan

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 03:43:23 PM »

My church bookstore didn't have any besides the OSB... so I'm going to order the New Testament from http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob and wait until they come out with an Old Testament. The translation looks good and simple to understand. Thanks for the help, everyone.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:02:50 PM by forevervegan » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »

It's a wonderful publication, but pretty much the exact opposite of what the OP wanted.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »

Huh But what you are recommending is not easy to understand, not Orthodox, and not a Bible.

What do you mean by 'not Orthodox'?  And isn't the New Testament a part of the Bible?  And isn't the Eastern Orthodox Church the New Testament Church?

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »

It's a wonderful publication, but pretty much the exact opposite of what the OP wanted.

It's not exactly what the OP wants, but I was thinking they would benefit from the Patristic notes. 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 08:01:56 PM »

What do you mean by 'not Orthodox'?

I mean that they aren't Orthodox in theology/practice. Also, they aren't in communion with other bodies claiming to be Orthodox, and no one who claims to be Orthodox will touch them with a ten foot long pole.

And isn't the New Testament a part of the Bible?

Sure. But the OP didn't say: "Hey, I'm fine if you wanna just give me 1/3rd of the Bible". Wink

And isn't the Eastern Orthodox Church the New Testament Church?

It's fairly close. Leastwise, it's closer than anyone else, IMO.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 08:18:08 PM »

However one might assess the Orthodoxy or lack thereof of the Dormition Skete/ Holy Apostles Convent folks, I don't think there's anything heterodox contained in their New Testament, which is full of quotes from Fathers we all recognize. All of the Holy Apostles Convent publications I've seen have been solidly Orthodox in content.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 08:23:29 PM »

All of the Holy Apostles Convent publications I've seen have been solidly Orthodox in content.

At least not any less so than this forum.  Smiley

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »

as alwayse, I highly recomend the Orthodox study bible.  it's New and Old Testement's have study notes from the church fathers.  it also contains full-color icons and pages that explain the traditions of the Orthodox church.  there is one such page that helped me prove a Jehovah's witness wrong.  I wasn't trying to be mean or anything (we had been having talkes about scripture at school).  he gave me a magazine about why I shouldn't believe in the holy trinity.  I pulled out my trusty bible and opened it to the information page on the trinity.  it cited several points in scripture.  he turned to those in his bible (in an effort to prove me wrong) and fould them himself. 

this bible is truly, in my opinion, a gift from God himself. 

In Christ, Trevor

I recomend you check out these links:

http://www.oca.org/news/1789

http://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Study-Bible-Ancient-Christianity/dp/0718003594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264881838&sr=8-1

ps.  if you do decide to perchase this, you should see if your parish sells it.  I went to Barnes and Noble and the soft back version was $75.00.  I bought the hard back version at my church for $50.00.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 07:42:17 PM »

I would suggest not sticking with the New Living Translation. Keep in mind that it's more of a paraphrase and not a translation proper.
IMO, that's not neccessarily a bad thing as a study tool when accompanied by more Formal Equivalence. Obviously, its translators have heavy Protestant biases, but often paraphrases can be useful for understanding more unusual idioms. In terms of what you're looking for, your best bet would be an NRSV common Bible. There is the issue of gender neutrality, but I find it's conspicuous enough that you can find it. If you have any doubt about the way something is translated, you can always check the notes. As a final note, remember that I've only attended two Orthodox liturgies in my entire life, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 08:32:36 PM »

The EOB NT is ... free! The OT will take time...

http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/download.asp

The NKJV base text (Textus Receptus) - used in the Orthodox Study bible is much closer to the 1904 Patriarchal Text than the critical versions out there.

I tend to prefer more formally equivalent bibles - the NRSV takes a few liberties but is O K. Most of the time, when I'm squaring off TR vs Nestle-Aland/WH, and want to get a strong sense of the nderlying text, probably the best examples are the old ASV and KJV. NASB is a more readable and slightly less equivalent ASV. NKJV is a more readable KJV. The entire NKJV and NASB text are online at biblegateway... for free!

As looser translations go, I'd stay away from nearly all of them, but I was quite pleasantly surprised with the Revised English Bible. The Pauline corpus sounded fresh and sunk in with me in ways that the other translations did not. It also did not suffer from some of the confessional biases of translations like the New International Bible. It's probably the best of that bunch. Also, the Revised English Bible is really good English.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:34:11 PM by John Larocque » Logged
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »

I have been using the 'Good News Bible' on-line because of including all the books (unlike the rest Protestant versions). Easy language, often punctuation, everything is nice. I've heard that some have criticized it, but I yet have to see an error in it. Wink

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: