OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 02:47:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Good films that show Orthodoxy  (Read 2615 times) Average Rating: 5
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« on: November 20, 2009, 03:37:26 AM »

Are there any good films out there that have Orthodoxy in them. All I can think of is Ivan the Terrible I and  II and since it was a Soviet film it was just in the Background.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:04:07 AM »

Ostrov.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:48:21 AM »

Big Fat Greek Wedding?  Tongue
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:42:11 AM »

One of the best movies ever made, The Deer Hunter, has along scene which portrays an Orthodox wedding celebration - if I'm not mistaken. The film stars Robert DiNero, Meril Streep, and Christopher Walken. I think it's a Russian Orthodox wedding. A great movie!

Selam
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:45:28 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 08:52:42 AM »

Deja vu, anyone?

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19597.0.html
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17772.0.html
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4742.135.html

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
pious1

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »

watch the movie My Life with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman, came out about 1993. There is an Orthodox wedding scence ( Ukrainian) plus its a very good movie that no one knows about. If any memeber of your family has had cancer, this is a movie for you to watch.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 11:21:04 AM »

watch the movie My Life with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman, came out about 1993. There is an Orthodox wedding scence ( Ukrainian) plus its a very good movie that no one knows about. If any memeber of your family has had cancer, this is a movie for you to watch.

I agree wholeheartedly, especially its unfortunate status as unknown. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 12:09:21 PM »

Ostrov.

Seconding this. http://www.amazon.com/Ostrov-Island-version-English-subtitles/dp/B000LTTOOS
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:35:48 PM »

Andrei Rublev is also a classic movie that shows quite a bit of Orthodoxy.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »

One of the best movies ever made, The Deer Hunter, has along scene which portrays an Orthodox wedding celebration - if I'm not mistaken. The film stars Robert DiNero, Meril Streep, and Christopher Walken. I think it's a Russian Orthodox wedding. A great movie!

Selam

I forgot about that one. Yes that is a great film.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 10:49:11 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone looks like I got some movies for netflix.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 01:15:49 PM »

Capt. Corelli's Mandolin...Nicholas Cage/ about the only good movie I've seen with him in it.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 01:24:11 AM »

These are all on NetFlix:

Old Believers: Jana Sevcikova

Byzantium: The Lost Empire (Discs 1 & 2)

Bram Stoker's Dracula features bits of Orthodoxy throughout, as it is in Romania (a wedding scene, Keanu Reeves hiding in an Orthodox convent, et cetera).  Kind of cheesy at times, but Gary Oldman is awesome as always.  WARNING: This does feature a lot of sexuality and nudity, so be aware.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:36:07 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 01:46:39 AM »

Thanks I forgot about Dracula that does have a bit in it. Also I have had Cap. Corelli's Mandolin recommended to me by my sponsor at my Church.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 01:47:54 AM »

Old Believers and Byzantium look good. From what I have heard Byzantium is a very well done documentary.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 02:08:14 AM »

From what I have heard Byzantium is a very well done documentary.

I disagree with a lot of the narrator's interpretations, but it is extremely entertaining and very well done.  Some of his conclusions are based on an ignorance of many aspects of Orthodoxy, but the perspective is really fresh and his excitement about the material really comes through.
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 05:08:41 AM »

Rusalka (РУСАЛКА)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSHyVVuy5g

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
basilthefool

Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 08:24:09 AM »

It wasn't a movie, but years ago (maybe 15-20) a TV Soap Opera had an Orthodox Wedding. It was a one hour show and, typically, they cut away to several scenes with other characters here and there, but the wedding itself seemed to be played out 'in real time'. If I recall correctly, it followed the Antiochian English edition. I recall that at the end, a little girl looked at her mother and asked, "Mommy, are they really married now?" and her mother smiled and said, "Yes, they are really married!" It was quite charmingly done.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 09:30:49 PM »

Someone said on another forum that the "Iron Giant" has Orthodox subleties.  They even throw in an off-handed reference to the Mother of God!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »

all that I can think of are My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and Fiddler on the Roof.  I know the latter is mostly centered around Judaism, but there are a few scenes of Orthodox chrictians and even a scene where a bishop blesses a woman walking by.  I must say, though, the rabbi in the movie is anti-Czarist.  Orthodox are also portrayed as the bad guys. 

there is a movie from Finland called "Sauna".  it is very interesting.  it is about scouts from russia and Finland trying to decide on te borders between their countries.  there is a sauna found that is supposed to wipe away your sins.  it's one of those films where everyone goes crazy and kills eachother.......but there are several hints of Orthodoxy in the film. 

hope this helped  Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 04:33:12 PM »

These are all on NetFlix:

Old Believers: Jana Sevcikova

Byzantium: The Lost Empire (Discs 1 & 2)

Bram Stoker's Dracula features bits of Orthodoxy throughout, as it is in Romania (a wedding scene, Keanu Reeves hiding in an Orthodox convent, et cetera).  Kind of cheesy at times, but Gary Oldman is awesome as always.  WARNING: This does feature a lot of sexuality and nudity, so be aware.

do you mean the riginal black and white Dracula?  or is it a new re-make?  I'd definatly be interested in renting this.  I am a closet vampire/monster/occult movie fan  Cheesy

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »

A couple of Yul Brynner movies:

The Brothers Karamazov (1958)

Taras Bulba- With the words "Put your faith in your sword, and your sword in a Pole," Cossack leader Taras Bulba (Yul Brynner) vows to vanquish the Poles, who double-crossed his people after helping to expel the Turks from the European steppes. Sending his son (Tony Curtis) to school in Poland so he can learn the ways of the enemy, Taras sees his plan backfire when the willful young man falls in love with a Polish woman (Christine Kaufmann).

ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 08:11:32 AM »

Tzar

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 03:00:54 PM »

Andrei Rublev is also a classic movie that shows quite a bit of Orthodoxy.

This is possibly the greatest movie I've ever seen. It is, of course, about an Orthodox saint, though the film seems to be rather ambivalent in its perspective of the Church. Many beautiful things are shown and many ugly things as well, in a rather dreamy style throughout.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Tags: movies 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: