OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 11:47:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solzhenitzyn?  (Read 1116 times) Average Rating: 0
The Caffeinator
Elder

« on: December 26, 2003, 07:54:49 AM »

I read Solzhenitzyn's Harvard Commencement speech and I loved it. Can anybody recommend which of his books would be best to start with? (BTW I prefer light reading. I can make my way through a First Things article if it's interesting, but my ADD usually gets the best of me. Sad )
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 08:11:32 AM »

I read Solzhenitzyn's Harvard Commencement speech and I loved it. Can anybody recommend which of his books would be best to start with? (BTW I prefer light reading. I can make my way through a First Things article if it's interesting, but my ADD usually gets the best of me. Sad )
Hi TC,
I think you'll find no "light" reading in Solzhenitzyn. I read the Gulag Archepelago,The First Circle, and The Cancer Ward in quick succession about twenty years ago. Not particularily demanding reading but rather ponderous in content nevertheless. I do need to update my reading  of his newer works. Good luck!

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 10:05:53 AM »

I would probably reccomend, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich(sp?).  It is fairly straightforward, isn't too long, and is very rewarding.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 12:50:21 PM »

Recently an abridged version of The Gulag Archipelago was published. Definately worth checking out.  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060007761/qid=1072457334/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/002-1438929-4348030
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 12:51:46 PM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Vicki

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 04:29:09 PM »

I second "A Day in the Life...." very good...all of his work is.

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 12:18:55 AM »

A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch is excellent, and I agree with David that it is a good place to start.

Two superb short novels by Solzhenitsyn are An Incident at Krechetovka Station and Matryona's House. They are available in a single volume called We Never Make Mistakes (New York: W.W. Norton, 1996).

Warning: Matryona's House will make you cry.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 12:21:42 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: