OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Calendar Armenian Christmas (Jan. 19) celebrated in Hollywood, CA  (Read 2727 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« on: January 21, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »

I've never seen this done here before.  Archbishop Hovnan did a Christmas and Theophany service on January 16, for the Jerusalem-Armenian community here in Los Angeles.  Armenians celebrate Christmas and Theophany on January 6, which on the Old Calendar is January 19.  Jerusalem is on the Old Calendar.

Here is the story:

Jerusalem-Armenian Community Celebrates Christmas

In celebration of (the Old Calendar - January 19) Christmas, the Jerusalem-Armenian Community of Los Angeles held a special midnight service on January 16, 2010 at St. John Garabed Armenian Church in Hollywood, California.

The Primate presided over the ceremony. He was joined by Very Rev. Fr. Dajad Dz. V. Yardemian, Vicar General, Rev. Archpriest Frs. Manoug Markarian, Nareg Matarian and Arshag Khatchadourian. At the conclusion of the service, the Primate presided over the Blessing of the Water. A Christmas reception was followed the service.   

http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/jerusalem-armenian-community-celebrates-christmas/

For some videos of Old Calendar Armenian Christmas being celebrated on Jan. 19 in Jerusalem this year, see the OO Music thread, post 386.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9840.msg399894.html#msg399894

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:15:42 AM »

Why January 16th?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:17:16 AM »

Why January 16th?

January 19th.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 01:26:30 AM »

Old Calendar Christmas was Jan. 19, but I think they celebrated it on the 16th because that was a Saturday night.  At least that is what I am assuming.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:56:05 AM »

I think in America and Western Europe in general are more laxed when you delve into Diocesan festal planning like this. The expectations from the bishops to the faithful for a thriving church in the West has to be lowered because of its status. I have heard from one priest they have to push these days forward or backward on the Weekend because it encourages more of the Faithful to show up outside the typical Christmas, Holy Week, Easter and Patron Saints Days. Armenian Christmas - Epiphany is apparently new but don't expect the lay faithful much response when the Diocese informs them of Significant days to attend.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:57:05 AM by alexp4uni » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 02:04:26 AM »

Read it again.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 02:05:39 AM »

Old Calendar Christmas was Jan. 19, but I think they celebrated it on the 16th because that was a Saturday night.  At least that is what I am assuming.

Oh, ok. Do the Armenians normally round off the date for Theophany like that?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 03:19:08 AM »

Not here in Los Angeles.  Here, Christmas/Theophany is always January 6, regardless of the day of the week.  However, in areas of the US where the Armenian population is smaller, I have heard of it being moved to the nearest Sunday.  It's improper, I guess, but the priest is being sensitive to the needs of his flock.  

In the Los Angeles area, though, enough people can make it on January 6, that the rounding off is not necessary.  In fact, I heard that the Glendale Unified School District even closes their schools on Jan. 6, because they know so many kids aren't going to come to school that day.  (Glendale is a Los Angeles suburb with a large Armenian population.)

I think the Old Calendar Christmas was moved to the nearest Saturday to make it easier for the Jerusalem-Armenians to all make it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:23:20 AM by Salpy » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 04:17:23 AM »

In fact, I heard that the Glendale Unified School District even closes their schools on Jan. 6, because they know so many kids aren't going to come to school that day.  (Glendale is a Los Angeles suburb with a large Armenian population.)

Cool.  Cheesy

I think the Old Calendar Christmas was moved to the nearest Saturday to make it easier for the Jerusalem-Armenians to all make it.

Makes sense. Thanks.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:59:28 AM »

Please correct my confusion...The Old Julian Calendar January  7  is the Eastern Orthodox Christmas ,,,So are you saying that the Armenian Orthodox Christmas is 12 days After the 7Th...on the 19 by a older calendar that the julian
I swear that i read that the Armenians celebrate the 6 of January before the 7Th..I'm confused..... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 04:21:24 PM »

Please correct my confusion...The Old Julian Calendar January  7  is the Eastern Orthodox Christmas ,,,So are you saying that the Armenian Orthodox Christmas is 12 days After the 7Th...on the 19 by a older calendar that the julian
I swear that i read that the Armenians celebrate the 6 of January before the 7Th..I'm confused..... Grin

I actually asked the same question in another thread. Here is the answer:

No, the Armenian church retains the most ancient custom of celebrating Nativity and Theophany at the same time on Jan. 6th (Julian Calendar).  They are the only ancient church that does this in any communion.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 08:43:26 PM »

Before the 5th century the Nativity of Christ was celebrated on the Feast of Theophany.

January 6th is our Theophany. For the Armenians it is their Theophany and Christmas.

The Jerusalem Armenians render this January 19th according to the Julian calendar.

Don't Old Calendar EO celebrate Theophany on the 19th?

Tags: Armenian Church nativity Theophany Epiphany calendar 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: