OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 11:01:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On the rest of EO Tradition  (Read 675 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: January 21, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »

It seems for some reason that the OO hierarchs are avoiding analyzing the various parts of the Chalcedon and post-Chalcedonian Traditions and determining what they think of it. I have no idea why this would be. It seems to me like our chances of reunion with the EO would probably be boosted if we gave them some idea of what we thought of various parts of their Tradition. For instance, I was just reading a Sunday of Orthodoxy thread that is being discussed here. I think if we gave the EO a better idea of what we think of the Second Council of Nicaea and its decisions that they would probably be more comfortable reuniting. And the same could be said about various other parts of the EO Tradition, such as the matter of Christ's will(s), Palamism, etc. I'd be interested to hear comments from both OO and EO dropping by.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »

I think this is a good idea, and both my bishop and I have written encouraging this.

Personally I am not sure that any such publications would result in any sudden movement on the part of the EO. But they do seem to be important to me. I have been interested for some years in producing a decent commentary on Constantinople 553 with cautious proposals as to how it could be 'accepted'.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:41:08 PM »

I have been interested for some years in producing a decent commentary on Constantinople 553 with cautious proposals as to how it could be 'accepted'.

That sounds like a great idea!

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:45:09 PM »

I think this is a good idea, and both my bishop and I have written encouraging this.

Personally I am not sure that any such publications would result in any sudden movement on the part of the EO. But they do seem to be important to me. I have been interested for some years in producing a decent commentary on Constantinople 553 with cautious proposals as to how it could be 'accepted'.

I think such a work would be well received by many in the EO Church. Books like Chalcedon Re-Examined have done much to dispel certain myths about the OO (sadly, not enough have read it - I just bought my priest a copy), but I think a positive work on the OO 'acceptance' of certain latter Councils would be very conducive to bringing the two groups closer together.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:45:39 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »

I know that having just come from the EO Tradition that I tend to accept the post-Chalcedonian Tradition almost wholesale, save only that which appears to be directly taken from the perceived deviations of Chalcedon.

Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »

Looking through my notes I see that I have already gathered together 16,000 words in a paper on the possible reception of Constantinople 553. It needs much more work, and at least doubling in size. But perhaps if the Lord wills I can continue my studies on this topic and see if I can produce a more coherent paper proposing some hesitant suggestions for the way forward.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags: Constantinople II unity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: