OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:52:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wine and Monks in Christian Egypt  (Read 676 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: July 16, 2013, 04:32:08 PM »

This should give some modern Coptic teetotalers a fit  Cheesy

Wine and Monks in Christian Egypt
Jennifer Cromwell, British Museum
July 10, 2013 • 5:34 pm

excerpt:

The monastery owned vineyards throughout Egypt, as far north as the Fayum, almost 400 km away along the Nile. Somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 litres of wine entered the monastery each year. A proportion of this wine was used to pay labour wages for camel herders, craftsmen, and goods suppliers and was sent out to other communities. But the monks also consumed a fair share themselves. Wine was the main drink in this period of Egyptian history and the monks were no exception; remains of glass goblets (currently being studied by my colleague Jane Faiers) attest to its consumption on site. In addition to standard wine, which didn’t have the same alcoholic content as that which we consume today, we find “new” wine, “old” wine (probably not “vintage” — there was no Château-Lafite Rothschild being supped over dinner), and “unmixed” (pure) wine. After consuming the wine, many amphorae, easily identifiable by their thick pitch internal coating, were broken and used to write other texts, often themselves mentioning wine.

http://blog.britishmuseum.org/2013/07/10/wine-and-monks-in-christian-egypt/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:32:38 PM by CoptoGeek » Logged

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »

Given what I've read of the Coptic teetotalers, I have a feeling they'll claim this is unfermented grape juice.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »

i know Muslim Turks and they just drink just like anybody else. Why would Copts be teetotalers? I only met 2 Copts in real life though, and don't know well enough as to be privy to their drinking habits.
ReturnOrthodoxy

Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »

I used to be a Teetotaler, and then I started thinking lol. It gets worse, I am actually going to tell you some of the reasoning of these guys, and you may actually laugh at how ill-informed and how dishonest many of the Teetotalerian though is:

1) If you try to bring up the fact that Christ made wine at the wedding of Cana, the answer you will get is, "But the Bible never mentioned that Christ drank it!" The natural response (although not so natural for these mohammedian Christians) is: "Yes! He made it, and did not drink it. It sounds just like Jesus to facilitate sin! Marriage is also sinful because although Jesus blessed the wedding of Cana, it never says he was married in it!"

2) "The monks in the desert don't drink wine!" The natural response is: "Read the Paradise, and compare with any other monastic practice in any other part of the world."

3)"It is easily abused." The answer is simple. Dont overuse it.

Noone who has ever attempted to restrict the use of wine has ever been able to offer good enough reason to do so. The fathers often spoke about it, and even encouraged its proper consumption. The only answer is that the Coptic church remains in the dark shadows of an Islamic Egypt. In which we try as best we can to make a form of Chrislam. Obviously the effect is a gnostic form of Christianity.

Interestingly enough, Coptic monasteries used to oblige pilgrims to have a drink of wine upon entering the monasteries to ensure that the pilgrims were neither gnostics nor Muslims.

Ray

Pre-Passion: Let's eat, Jesus!
Post-Passion: Let's eat Jesus!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »

Canons of the Holy Apostles

CANON 51
If any Bishop, or Presbyter, or Deacon, or anyone at all on the sacerdotal list, abstains from marriage, or meat, or wine, not as a matter of mortification, but out of an abhorrence thereof, forgetting that all things are exceedingly good, and that God made man male and female, and blasphemously misrepresenting God’s work of creation, either let him mend his ways or let him be deposed from office and expelled from the Church. Let a layman be treated similarly.

CANON 53
If any Bishop, or Presbyter, or Deacon, on the days of feasts will not partake of meat and wine, because he loathes these things, and not on account of asceticism, let him be deposed from office, on the ground that he has his own conscience seared and has become a cause of scandal to many.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:27:51 PM »

Why would Copts be teetotalers? I only met 2 Copts in real life though, and don't know well enough as to be privy to their drinking habits.

I'll let the Copts answer this one, but I will say that this phenomenon is not just Coptic.  

There is a significant movement of this sort in the various Churches (Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant) in India.  In this case, it is almost certainly a result of the severe and really shameful abuse of alcohol (and all the attendant problems) among our people, along with a strange admixture of Victorian values (thanks, Britain!).  In fact, it seems the Churches are competing to see who can be the most anti-alcohol: if I'm remembering correctly, the Catholics in India recently declared alcohol consumption (not drunkenness, but consumption) a mortal sin, included this teaching in catechetical and penitential literature, preaching, etc., and petitioned Rome to back them up.  Rome, needless to say, is hesitant to declare all alcohol consumption mortally sinful just because Indians have no self-control, so they aren't getting involved in what is essentially a local pastoral issue.  As teetotalist (?) as the Orthodox can be, they haven't gone that far, though they're not far behind.  

It's really sad.  Rather than teach people moderation, ascesis, and complete abstinence for alcoholics and those at a higher risk for alcoholism, they want to declare that the substance itself is liquid evil and to be avoided.  There's all this stuff in the Bible, for example, about how wine is good, but that's of course ignored or explained away with nonsensical arguments such as those above.  I've even known one or two clerics who do questionable things liturgically due to such beliefs.  

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »

Canons of the Holy Apostles

What are canons?  Tongue

Seriously, I think the teetotalers would argue that what they're promoting is an extreme mortification for a noble purpose: to prevent a lot of the social evils in which alcohol abuse plays a role.  But I agree with you and with these canons...they go too far when they imply or outright teach that these things are evil in and of themselves. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 06:31:43 PM »

i know Muslim Turks and they just drink just like anybody else. Why would Copts be teetotalers? I only met 2 Copts in real life though, and don't know well enough as to be privy to their drinking habits.
They rarely drink, in general.  A couple of sips, let alone glasses, at a wedding celebration, for instance, is usually seen as something out of the ordinary.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:54:34 PM »

Maybe the Copts I know are outside the norm, but I remember when people found out that I come from the so-called 'wine country' of northern California, our priest asked me if I drank. When I said I do not, he seemed surprised. "But it is good for your heart to have a little bit now and then!" Also, some people from church are always offering me a bit of brandy or scotch after dinner, depending on what they have to offer. I politely decline every time. Just like when I refuse meat (since I'm a vegetarian; this is another concept I am confused that they don't quite seem to understand...don't you people fast from meat for over half the year?), they usually make some joke about how I would make a good monastic. I should show them this article. Smiley

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 09:01:47 PM »

I have never heard of such a thing.  What do they do at Eucharist?  Please tell me it isn't grape juice.  Shocked

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 09:34:28 PM »

No, wine is used for the Liturgy.  The most you could go in the "juice" direction is the allowance for the juice of raisins, which was/is fairly common and goes back a long time. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 01:56:59 AM »

Wine and beer were also necessary in the days before refrigeration, it was used as a way of keeping the drinking liquids sanitary when there was no refrigeration. can you imagine trying to keep grape juice drinkable for even a day in Jerusalem or any of the Bible areas, they were all desert and hot places mostly.Grapes and fruit would rot in a couple days.

Also in ships in the middle ages they drank grog which is watered down beer or rum, fresh water was taken on board in casks but quickly developed algae and became slimy. So the use of alcohol kept it from becoming undrinkable, since they had no access to fresh water.

This would be helpful to anyone that had to travel any distance for fresh water. Or if you have a vineyard, grape juice will ferment on its own without refrigeration.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 07:41:48 AM »

They rarely drink, in general.  A couple of sips, let alone glasses, at a wedding celebration, for instance, is usually seen as something out of the ordinary.

I'd say its a generational thing. The older generation grew up with a very resurgent Islam and very active Evangelical missionaries who were quite vocal in critizing Copts who drank. That demon Arak!  laugh  For my generation, those in their 30-40s, its very different & having beer & wine at gatherings is very common.

In the West, the priests are very strict with the youth & college age on this because they fear losing them to the surrounding culture. This also goes for dating, dancing, etc. But as dzheremi said, its not so with other adults.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: