OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:15:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossover of Latin and Orthodox Hymns in Austria-Hungarian Emprie  (Read 1735 times) Average Rating: 0
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« on: April 13, 2008, 02:09:53 AM »

Just an aside on the www.grkat.nfo.sk/eng/music.html  a fair number of the recordings are in the Slovak language and not Church Slavonic.  Perhaps one of the best sites to hear some Prostipinije.

That's true, I didn't think of that. Still a good site for Slavic-style Orthodox hymns though.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 03:44:07 AM »

That's true, I didn't think of that. Still a good site for Slavic-style Orthodox hymns though.

It is an excellent site.

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:15:43 AM »

The Eastern Catholics in this area of Eastern Europe, also have  extra-liturgical music.  Can these be called Orthodox "hymns"? 

Both the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Galicia and the Slovak Eastern Catholic Church have adopted what is called "extra-liturgical hymns"  from the Polish Roman Catholic Church and the Slovak Roman Catholic Church.  There are also hymns that were popular in 19th century Austria in the German language in the Roman Catholic Church in the Austrian Empire, that were translated into Polish and from Polish into Ukrainian for the Ukrainian Catholic Church.  Often these "hymns" were sung at the end of the Divine Liturgy.

Both Galicia and Slovakia and Zakarpathia were part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire before World War 1.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 12:26:37 AM by Orest » Logged
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 03:19:46 PM »

The Eastern Catholics in this area of Eastern Europe, also have  extra-liturgical music.  Can these be called Orthodox "hymns"? 

Both the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Galicia and the Slovak Eastern Catholic Church have adopted what is called "extra-liturgical hymns"  from the Polish Roman Catholic Church and the Slovak Roman Catholic Church.  There are also hymns that were popular in 19th century Austria in the German language in the Roman Catholic Church in the Austrian Empire, that were translated into Polish and from Polish into Ukrainian for the Ukrainian Catholic Church.  Often these "hymns" were sung at the end of the Divine Liturgy.

Both Galicia and Slovakia and Zakarpathia were part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire before World War 1.

Trans-Carpathian tradition of paraliturgical hymns are used here in Greek Catholic and Orthodox Churches.....
A new Commandment, You are the God (Ty Jesi Boh), etc..... they are sang before liturgy in many Orthodox and Greek Catholic parishes. 

Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:50:15 AM »

Which hymns came into the Rusyn Greek Catholic Church from these German-Polish sources?  The Rusyn-Slavonic Marian hymns were authored by local Rusyn priests and bishops in the c. 1600's-1700's.  Where did you read that these para-liturgical hymns are from Roman Catholic origins?

U-C
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 12:56:46 AM »

Some Polish Catholic hymns and even the Divine Mercy devotion that originated there have a very Eastern flavor to them. 

I'm not sure who started what first or who borrowed from who, but there are similarities.  I'm assuming that these similarities would extend to other Slavic groups, like Hungarians and Slovaks too?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 01:12:13 AM »

Some Polish Catholic hymns and even the Divine Mercy devotion that originated there have a very Eastern flavor to them. 

I'm not sure who started what first or who borrowed from who, but there are similarities.  I'm assuming that these similarities would extend to other Slavic groups, like Hungarians and Slovaks too?
LOL.  The Hungarians (and the Romanians too, btw) will cut your tongue out if you call them Slavs.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 02:37:54 AM »

LOL.  The Hungarians (and the Romanians too, btw) will cut your tongue out if you call them Slavs.

Well, with Hungarian being distantly related to the Finns.. and claims that Russia is really Finnish ("Russia-in-name-only is not Slavic!"), you could probably have some fun there.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 03:36:44 AM »

We have plenty of extra/para-liturgical hymns as well. I like many of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEUUHITaxMY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlpb9ysPo1Y&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/user/webortodox#p/u/27/2pv5JCezUaQ
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:42:08 AM by augustin717 » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »

I have learned through this thread that the Rusyns share many customs with the Romanians thanks to augustin717''s postings.The Rusyns have many such hymns as well which are beloved by both the Orthodox and Eastern Catholic populations. Here is an example of a hymn of the Theotokos, in English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLw6MYQEc1c
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:36:42 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »

I have learned through this thread that the Rusyns share many customs with the Romanians thanks to augustin717''s postings.The Rusyns have many such hymns as well which are beloved by both the Orthodox and Eastern Catholic populations. Here is an example of a hymn of the Theotokos, in English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLw6MYQEc1c
There's a reason for that: Galicia provided much of the early Orthodox hiearchy in Romania.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 01:58:11 AM »

There's a reason for that: Galicia provided much of the early Orthodox hiearchy in Romania.
I don't  think that's the reason.  I only know about some 14th century metropolitans of Moldova being from Galitzia.
Yet the common stuff with the Rusyns is mostly encountered in Transylvania and Banat, that is the former Habsburg (then Austro-Hungarian) territories.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »

I suspect that 18th and 19th century migrations within the Austro-Hungarian Empire is probably the reason. Not unlike people picking up and spreading bits and pieces of different regional and ethnic cultures as they move about the United States. Many Orthodox parishes have a little bit of this, a little bit of that as a result.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: