Author Topic: Christological Controversies  (Read 1363 times)

Offline ambrosemzv

• Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!
Christological Controversies
« on: December 25, 2003, 04:03:47 PM »
Peter Farrington, in the "Did You Know?" thread on the "Free For All" forum:

Those who came over from the errors of our friends in the EO during the Christological controversies

Peter, I though most Oriental Orthodox had concluded, by and large, that the apparent schism following upon the Council of Chalcedon was the result of inadequate understanding, by both sides, of the linguistic nuances used by the other side.  So, what are these "errors," according to you?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
Re:Christological Controversies
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 04:42:36 PM »
I was speaking slightly tongue in cheek and thinking back to the period within the Christological controversies.

I'm writing an article at the moment about the Tome of Leo for someone which will put the anti-Chalcedonian response to it in context and tease out the reasons why it was considered un-Orthodox. I will also be considering how it has been further clarified by Constantinople II and other later Chalcedonian fathers. And then considering the prospects for it being accepted as an Orthodox statement, hedged about and glossed where appropriate to remove ambiguity. This is not the same as saying that there were no historical reasons for rejecting it.

I hope to have the article finished by the end of the holiday, so bear with me.

Of course I have no doubt that the EO today are completely Orthodox, but I am also well aware of the various currents of thought present in the 5th/6th centuries which made people on all sides legitimately wary.

On this special day the last thing I want to do is present a list of reasons why the anti-Chalcedonians believed that they needed to wall themselves from what they believed to be heresy and heterodoxy.

Bear with me

Peter Theodore
My mission -

My blog -

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington