OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:13:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long is one "newly illumined?"  (Read 1401 times) Average Rating: 0
trifecta
Fairly newly illumined

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 19, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »

I have heard from 40 days to a lifetime (we are always newly illumined).

Can someone tell me the official answer?

Thanks.

born Catholic, became a Protestant, now and hereafter an Orthodox Christian
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:20:31 AM »

I've never heard an official answer. I like the idea that it's for a lifetime, though that's more about making a point about how salvation is a lifelong process, and perhaps not really meant to be something taken literally. Maybe the best answer is: "until you witness your first parish council meeting," at which point you lose your innocence.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:20:53 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »

I have been advised that one is considered "newly illumined" during the three Sundays in which the newly illuminated is communed holding his/her baptismal candle.  After that they no longer hold their baptismal candles and are no longer considered "newly illumined" merely "illumined" as we all are after becoming Orthodox Christians.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
trifecta
Fairly newly illumined

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:26:39 PM »

Thanks , Thomas.   A follow up:  Do people still hold that baptismal candles for three weeks following . . . anywhere?  (I was received through chrismation, but still held a candle!)

I was hoping to be newly illumined for a year after chrismation, as in a newlywed.  I figure I need to complete an entire church cycle to lose the "newly."

Thanks, again.

born Catholic, became a Protestant, now and hereafter an Orthodox Christian
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »

Thanks , Thomas.   A follow up:  Do people still hold that baptismal candles for three weeks following . . . anywhere?  (I was received through chrismation, but still held a candle!)

I was hoping to be newly illumined for a year after chrismation, as in a newlywed.  I figure I need to complete an entire church cycle to lose the "newly."

Thanks, again.

Welcome home!  Newly Illumined hold a candle in Russian churches and their godparent(s) are supposed to go with them through the communion line during this time.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:08:05 PM »

Just as one who has departed this life is "newly departed" for 40 days, likewise one who is newly baptized, chrismated, communed is "newly illumined" for 40 days.  This goes back to when people were baptized on Pascha, and for 40 days celebrated their new birth and share of the resurrection of Christ for the 40 days of Paschaltide.
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »

Maybe the best answer is: "until you witness your first parish council meeting," at which point you lose your innocence.  Smiley
In fact, this is when you get your innocence back. Smiley

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: