OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 05:29:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man dies after watching Avatar  (Read 2693 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: January 19, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »

More depressing news relating to this film.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/man-died-after-watching-avatar/story-e6frfmvr-1225821333043

* Man starts to feel unwell during movie
    * Dies 11 days later
    * "First death linked to Avatar"

A 42-year-old Taiwanese man with a history of high blood pressure has died of a stroke likely triggered by over-excitement from watching the blockbuster Avatar in 3D, a doctor says.

The man, identified only by his surname Kuo, started to feel unwell during the screening earlier this month in the northern city of Hsinchu and was taken to hospital.

Mr Kuo, who suffered from hypertension, was unconscious when he arrived at the Nan Men General Hospital and a scan showed that his brain was haemorrhaging, emergency room doctor Peng Chin-chih said today.

"It's likely that the over-excitement from watching the movie triggered his symptoms,'' the doctor said.

Mr Kuo died 11 days later from the brain haemorrhage, and the China Times newspaper said it was the first death linked to watching James Cameron's science-fiction epic Avatar.

Film blogging sites have reported complaints of headaches, dizziness, nausea and blurry eyesight from viewers of Avatar and other movies rich in 3D imagery.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:00:19 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:00:59 PM »

Undecided

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »

Sad

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »

Sounds to me like he died from complications of an already existing medical condition, not from coincidence.

-edited for my inability to type in complete sentences.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:28:20 AM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »

To me like he died from complications of an already existing medical condition, not from coincidence.

True, but (in case it didn't happen) it may have been good to tell him, "Visual over-stimulation may lead to problems," a la those suffering from epilepsy.  If this isn't the case on a routine basis (i.e. if a regular movie, light-show, etc. would not have caused the same effect), then saying the movie directly contributed seems to be accurate - that is what he (Cameron) was going for anyway, pushing the visual envelope, so it shouldn't be surprising if we're discovering that people affected with existing conditions are having new problems when encountering this fresh experience.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:25:46 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Mivac

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 05:43:08 PM »

More depressing news relating to this film.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/man-died-after-watching-avatar/story-e6frfmvr-1225821333043

* Man starts to feel unwell during movie
    * Dies 11 days later
    * "First death linked to Avatar"

A 42-year-old Taiwanese man with a history of high blood pressure has died of a stroke likely triggered by over-excitement from watching the blockbuster Avatar in 3D, a doctor says.

The man, identified only by his surname Kuo, started to feel unwell during the screening earlier this month in the northern city of Hsinchu and was taken to hospital.

Mr Kuo, who suffered from hypertension, was unconscious when he arrived at the Nan Men General Hospital and a scan showed that his brain was haemorrhaging, emergency room doctor Peng Chin-chih said today.

"It's likely that the over-excitement from watching the movie triggered his symptoms,'' the doctor said.

Mr Kuo died 11 days later from the brain haemorrhage, and the China Times newspaper said it was the first death linked to watching James Cameron's science-fiction epic Avatar.

Film blogging sites have reported complaints of headaches, dizziness, nausea and blurry eyesight from viewers of Avatar and other movies rich in 3D imagery.

I feel sorry for the guy, may the Lord have mercy on him.

The reality though as far as attributing his death to avatar seems to me to be baseless connection.  You have several million people watch any movie, or do any activity, there is bound to be one person who dies afterwards.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 09:23:10 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 09:26:38 PM »

I feel sorry for the guy, may the Lord have mercy on him.

The reality though as far as attributing his death to avatar seems to me to be baseless connection.  You have several million people watch any movie, or do any activity, there is bound to be one person who dies afterwards.

I hope no one ever dies during one of my sermons!  Shocked

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »

They can't be that boring, surely....

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 10:41:15 PM »

"And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead." - Acts 20:9
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 11:29:59 PM »

No, given the OP I think Fr. Anastasios is implying that his sermons are the exact OPPOSITE of boring. In which case, I really want to visit your parish, Father!

I have seen an elderly person collapse and require an ambulance during DL. Scary.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »

If they're about the calendar, then they just might be...  Wink
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:52:50 PM »

Ha. I have actually never given a sermon about the Church Calendar issue, nor do I plan to. Sermons are really supposed to be about the Gospel and Epistle readings. Topical sermons are kind of sketchy in my mind unless they are outside of the liturgy.  I will often incorporate something else in if appropriate but that is as a second thought and not as the main point of any of my sermons. I did actually give a sermon that was partially against militant vegetarianism once though. It just sort of happened.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »

I will have to say that watching Avatar made me die a little inside.  Wink

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 08:26:09 PM »

I did actually give a sermon that was partially against militant vegetarianism once though. It just sort of happened.

What is meant by "militant vegetarianism"?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 08:33:45 PM »

I did actually give a sermon that was partially against militant vegetarianism once though. It just sort of happened.

Advocating that eating meat is wrong per se* and trying to encourage others to do so, sometimes by scare tactics.

(* as opposed to refraining from eating meat out of concern for the way meat is processed in the modern world or out of a personal health choice that is not idealogical).

Please Buy My Book!

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 08:36:30 PM »

"And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead." - Acts 20:9

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 09:02:11 PM »

Advocating that eating meat is wrong per se* and trying to encourage others to do so, sometimes by scare tactics.

(* as opposed to refraining from eating meat out of concern for the way meat is processed in the modern world or out of a personal health choice that is not idealogical).

Oh, ok. I tend to think that it is wrong to eat meat if it is not out of necessity, i.e. when one's nutritional needs cannot be met by any other source.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 10:04:06 PM »

Ha. I have actually never given a sermon about the Church Calendar issue, nor do I plan to. Sermons are really supposed to be about the Gospel and Epistle readings. Topical sermons are kind of sketchy in my mind unless they are outside of the liturgy.  I will often incorporate something else in if appropriate but that is as a second thought and not as the main point of any of my sermons. I did actually give a sermon that was partially against militant vegetarianism once though. It just sort of happened.

Its funny about sermons. I like how the priest at the Romanian church in my city does his sermons. Since the building is pretty small, he kind of walks between where the faithful are and he will ask people questions during the service such as for example (even though its not a direct quote), "what was it that Christ was doing while he was there?" or "why are we fasting?" or something like that and these are not rhetorical questions but he will look for someone to answer it to make sure they know the teachings of the Faith. People pay attention when he preaches because he might call on them to answer haha. I think this might be a Romanian thing since watching videos of Elder Cleopa, he seems to do something similar.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 12:17:47 AM »

Its funny about sermons. I like how the priest at the Romanian church in my city does his sermons. Since the building is pretty small, he kind of walks between where the faithful are and he will ask people questions during the service such as for example (even though its not a direct quote), "what was it that Christ was doing while he was there?" or "why are we fasting?" or something like that and these are not rhetorical questions but he will look for someone to answer it to make sure they know the teachings of the Faith. People pay attention when he preaches because he might call on them to answer haha. I think this might be a Romanian thing since watching videos of Elder Cleopa, he seems to do something similar.

I like that!  Very much how I imagine Jesus teaching. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »

That sounds sort of like the "dialogue" sermons that one hears from time to time at various, liberal RC churches.

I'm not against what this priest was trying to do but stuff like that can make some people more then a little squeamish and uncomfortable on a Sunday morning.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 03:18:54 AM »

I'm not against what this priest was trying to do but stuff like that can make some people more then a little squeamish and uncomfortable on a Sunday morning.

Its a pretty small and tight nit community and from what I've seen, the people are always eager when he asks. I think it works in a small church but if my priest did that in my church which is pretty large, I don't think it would work out.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: