OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 02:06:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ is Born! Glorify Him!  (Read 4278 times) Average Rating: 0
Vicki

« on: December 25, 2003, 12:57:05 AM »

"Your birth, O Christ our God, dawned the light of knowledge upon the earth. For by Your birth those who adored stars, were taught by a star, to worship You, the Sun of Justice and to know You, Orient from on High. O Lord, glory to You. (4th Tone)"
- Apolytikion for the Nativity of Jesus Christ
Translation by Narthex Press

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 01:01:53 AM »

Christ is Born!!!!  Glorify Him!!!

In an hour I'm off to the monastery for the all night vigil....except when Greeks do all night vigils we actually spend all night in Church unlike the Russians Tongue

And my parents gave me a CD of Handel's Messiah for Christmas so I have something to listen to in the car :-D
Vicki

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 01:06:58 AM »

Brat....careful...In Russian MONASTERIES...THEY DO SPEND ALL NIGHT THERE.  I listened to a tape of Christmas Chant done by St. Vladimir's choir several years back on my trip from RI to MA....lovely. David Drillock is still the choirmaster there.

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003, 01:13:54 AM »

My friend spend last summer on the Holy Mountain, and at the Russian monastery one of the vigils started at the normal time for vespers (5 PM) and ended at the normal time for liturgy (about 7 AM)...that is insane lol!  But these Russian parishes that BOAST of an "all-night" vigil...anyway at Saint Anthony's the vigils go from 12:30 to 8:00...a mere seven to eight hours.  My legs are going to be so tired..... but the chanting will be so awesome!!!!

GLORY TO GOD WHO WAS BORN IN THE FLESH!!!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 01:26:40 AM »

The average Divine Liturgy in Russia lasts all Sunday (or certainly seems to).

I don't know how those babushki do it!  Shocked

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2003, 01:26:53 AM »

GLORIFY HIM! What a great Christmas this is turning out to be indeed!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2003, 01:28:34 AM »

GLORIFY HIM! What a great Christmas this is turning out to be indeed!

You know, I missed watching the Midnight Mass from the Vatican.

Will EWTN be re-running it, do you know?

I hate to miss it. It's beautiful.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Vicki

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2003, 01:29:55 AM »

Thank Soviet bread lines...trained generations to stand still patiently for HOURS praying for what they need ! Grin Grin Grin

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 01:34:00 AM »

Thank Soviet bread lines...trained generations to stand still patiently for HOURS praying for what they need ! Grin Grin Grin

-+-Ç-¦-¦-¦-¦!

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2003, 01:39:48 AM »

Well, folks, since the board's a little slow this fine Christmas morning, I think I will go downstairs and turn on EWTN before going to bed.

Y'all have a Merry Christmas!

Christ is born!

Glorify Him!

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2003, 01:51:21 AM »

-+-Ç-¦-¦-¦-¦!

-+-¦-+-Ç-¦-¦-¦-¦!!

What came first, long services or bread lines?  
 Wink

Anyway,  blessed Nativity to all those on the new reckoning!

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Vicki

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2003, 02:16:20 AM »

<mumble mumble> Ya got me on that....Betraying my ethnic roots...Greek services are long, but old Greek yiayias are less patient...and THEY have pews! I put it down to the bread lines...but it could be ethnic, of course! :bounce:

Christ is Born!

Glorify Him !
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 02:17:34 AM by Vicki » Logged

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2003, 02:38:21 AM »

Christ is Born!

Vigil was wonderful tonight.  Enjoyed singing the Expostilarion of the Feast in a trio, as well as the Canon.  

Anyone else burning the midnight oil?

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2003, 03:34:40 AM »

Glorify Him!!

Was at Midnight Mass and have now got up again after just uinder 4 hours in my bed !!

There's nothing like it - Midnight Mass I mean- lots of Music , Priests who suddenly depart from what was prepared [ they never see the panic on the faces of the Choir as we think/mutter 'Now what do we do ' ] Aaaaaaaaah Christmas is really here!

The Blessing of the new born Child on everyone.

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2003, 05:29:57 AM »

Merry Christmas to everyone!

My first Orthodox Christmas, and it was the most meaningful and joyous ever. Matins and Midnight Liturgy - a total of about 4 hours and I was still standing at 2am.

Blessings to everyone.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2003, 08:26:11 AM »

Merry Christmas everyone. Kids were quiet till 7 am and then let us sleep till 8 while they played quietly. Nearly lunch time and they are still playing nicely. A great Christmas all round, and a new Terry Pratchett book to read, as well as a new one on St Cyril.

Off work till the 5th Jan so God willing it will be a nice break.

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Vicki

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2003, 12:30:14 PM »

Merry Christmas everyone. Kids were quiet till 7 am and then let us sleep till 8 while they played quietly. Nearly lunch time and they are still playing nicely. A great Christmas all round, and a new Terry Pratchett book to read, as well as a new one on St Cyril.

Off work till the 5th Jan so God willing it will be a nice break.

PT

I, too, have received the newest Terry Pratchett book... Grin along with many others...so will be reading after dinner!

Christ is Born!
Glorify Him!

ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2003, 03:08:52 PM »

Christ is born!

My wife's a huge Terry Pratchett fan, though I must admit, I haven't caught that particular bug.

Wonderful time at the holy supper (a slavic custom, patterned somewhat after the passover meal, for those not familiar with it) at our parish yesterday, then a beautiful service of Compline.  Our daughters got up after my wife and me this morning (and they're still under 8 years old--what's that about??); a great, blessed time opening presents around the tree, followed by a beautiful Christmas liturgy (we're lucky enough to live right around the corner from the temple).

And now:  cheese, sausage, chocolates, licoeurs.  Hallelujah!

A wonderful Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 03:10:50 PM by ambrosemzv » Logged

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2003, 04:49:47 PM »

Yes, I don't know what it is this year but it's been a really blessed time and apart from the youngest beng a bit hyper this evening all the kids are quiet in their rooms, hopefully sleeping soon, and I'm about to have a sherry and maybe start my Terry Pratchett book.

PT

Vicki

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2003, 04:55:30 PM »

Which one did you get? Monstrous Regiment?

Ksenia

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2003, 04:56:45 PM »

Glorify Him!  I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday.  I was at St. Vladimir's for Vigil last night and Liturgy this morning, and it was lovely, as usual.  And now, just back in Long Island relaxing until the Christmas Retreat starts tomorrow.
Vicki

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2003, 04:57:53 PM »

Lovely....I lovely the chant they do...listening to it now...

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2003, 05:31:34 PM »

Which one did you get? Monstrous Regiment?

Yep. I held off buying it myself so that the wife could get it for me.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2003, 06:18:48 PM »

Lovely....I lovely the chant they do...listening to it now...

Apostate - willfully listening to non-byzantine chant in ENGLISH....
Tongue Grin

Nektarios - after seven hours or so of Byzantine Chant in Greek Cheesy
Vicki

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2003, 01:54:38 AM »

My mother can only take so much of Vatopadi Choir's Byzantine Chant in Greek...says it gets on her nerves...the most beautiful chant imaginable...but she likes the stuff SVS does...the four part chant doesn't bother her as much....It's preserving domestic tranquility....

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: