OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 12:56:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monasticism - Catholicism and Orthodoxy  (Read 12677 times) Average Rating: 0
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2010, 05:11:12 PM »

Just wondering why these rare and extreme abuses in the Catholic Church bother you

I think they are not as rare as you believe. But I will answer your question.

I am old enough to remember attending the Latin Mass of my youth.  To see this now--is a travesty.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:12:39 PM by Mickey » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2010, 05:12:04 PM »

Just wondering why these rare and extreme abuses in the Catholic Church bother if we don't even really have the Body and Blood of Christ at Mass in the first place. I mean, according to your Church's view, these events would only insult pieces of bread and glasses of wine.

You seem to have a real inferiority complex.
Not at all. Just as you believe that the Eastern Orthodox Church is the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church, I believe of my Church. What I am confused about is why you are so offened about Liturgical abuses in a Church that you don't even think has the Blessed Sacrament to offend in the first place. It seems like a bit of a contradiction.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2010, 05:12:30 PM »

Nah, most of us who want to live our Catholic faith dispensed with the hippie nonsense.
I wouldn't be so sure. The Byzantine Catholics just revised the Liturgy using gender neutral language.  Shocked
I don't think that gender neutral language in the liturgy is hippie crap. Its just an updated translation. Words don't mean what they used to. There was a time when a person could say "all men" and mean both women and men just like a person does in Spanish. However, "all men" doesn't mean that anymore. Languages change and develop. So to get at what the liturgy was saying, a modern and accurate translation would be "all men and women".

If you read the threads on such as ByzCath.org you will see that this has caused much angst for Byzantine Catholics and the issues go very deep for them.  One serendipity effect has been the departure of some of them for Orthodox Churches.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2010, 05:13:34 PM »

Just wondering why these rare and extreme abuses in the Catholic Church bother you

I think they are not as rare as you believe.
The averager Catholic will never see an abuse that is that extreme and you know this very well. I wonder why you are pretending otherwise.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »

Nah, most of us who want to live our Catholic faith dispensed with the hippie nonsense.
I wouldn't be so sure. The Byzantine Catholics just revised the Liturgy using gender neutral language.  Shocked
I don't think that gender neutral language in the liturgy is hippie crap. Its just an updated translation. Words don't mean what they used to. There was a time when a person could say "all men" and mean both women and men just like a person does in Spanish. However, "all men" doesn't mean that anymore. Languages change and develop. So to get at what the liturgy was saying, a modern and accurate translation would be "all men and women".

If you read the threads on such as ByzCath.org you will see that this has caused much angst for Byzantine Catholics and the issues go very deep for them.  One serendipity effect has been the departure of some of them for Orthodox Churches.
Quite frankly, I think that those who have a problem with it need to grow up and get over it. Its ridiculous to create issues where none exist.

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »

There were many reasons for me (most of them doctrinal and patristic)---but that was a contributing factor.  Smiley
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2010, 05:15:24 PM »

I don't think that gender neutral language in the liturgy is hippie crap.
LOL! The Byzantine Catholics would beg to differ with you.
Well then they would be wrong.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2010, 05:17:04 PM »

There were many reasons for me (most of them doctrinal and patristic)---but that was a contributing factor.  Smiley
I can understand your other reasons. You didn't believe in what the teachings of the Catholic Church anymore. I am sympathetic to that. But this other reason, well I think that its plain silliness.

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »

Quite frankly, I think that those who have a problem with it need to grow up and get over it.

I will relay that to my Byzantine Catholic friends. I am sure that will solve all their problems.  Undecided
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2010, 05:18:09 PM »

The averager Catholic will never see an abuse that is that extreme and you know this very well. I wonder why you are pretending otherwise.

But all the same, Alfonso, there must be something profoundly wrong if His Holiness is moved to lament from the depth of his soul...

"I am convinced that the ecclesial crisis in which we find ourselves
today depends in great part on the collapse of the liturgy.”

"In its practical materialization, liturgical reform has moved further
away from this origin. The result was not re-animation but devastation.

Pope Benedict XVI
~~~~~~

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2010, 05:18:17 PM »

Quite frankly, I think that those who have a problem with it need to grow up and get over it.

I will relay that to my Byzantine Catholic friends. I am sure that will solve all their problems.  Undecided
It will if they actually take me up on it.

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2010, 05:18:48 PM »

I think that its plain silliness.

I am sure they will be glad to hear that.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »

But all the same, Alfonso, there must be something profoundly wrong if His Holiness is moved to lament from the depth of his soul...

Pope Benedict XVI
~~~~~~

Again, I agree that there are problems right now. But he majority of Catholics will never see a "Clown Mass" or a "Devil/Halloween Mass" and I am sure you know this.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »

I think that its plain silliness.

I am sure they will be glad to hear that.
Whether they are glad to hear it or not is not the issue. Now if they choose to grow up, now that's important.

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2010, 05:21:46 PM »

Pope Benedict XVI
~~~~~~

Exactly. And the few times I have had to go back to the RCC after my conversion, (such as funerals),  my wife and I could not help but feel like we were at a protestant service. It was the strangest thing!
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »

Pope Benedict XVI
~~~~~~

Exactly. And the few times I have had to go back to the RCC after my conversion, (such as funerals),  my wife and I could not help but feel like we were at a protestant service. It was the strangest thing!
You are right. Your feelings on the matter are the strangest thing.  Wink

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »

Whether they are glad to hear it or not is not the issue. Now if they choose to grow up, now that's important.

Again....I will tell them that you said they are all immature. I'm sure that will help them greatly.  Roll Eyes
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2010, 05:24:38 PM »

You are right.

Thank you.  Grin
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2010, 05:25:16 PM »

Again....I will tell them that you said they are all immature. I'm sure that will help them greatly.  Roll Eyes
Well, I am not sure whether or not my comment will help them. That was not the point of my comment about their maturity or lack there of. My point is to describe what I believe is the source of their anguish. If I were to talk to them right now in person so that I could help them I would discuss with them why gender neutral language is a more accurate modern translation.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »

You are welcome.  Grin

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2010, 05:27:25 PM »

Well, I am not sure whether or not my comment will help them.

It would not.

If I were to talk to them right now in person so that I could help them I would discuss with them why gender neutral language is a more accurate modern translation.

ROTFL!  You are a real hoot!
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:09 PM »

Well, I am not sure whether or not my comment will help them.

It would not.

If I were to talk to them right now in person so that I could help them I would discuss with them why gender neutral language is a more accurate modern translation.

ROTFL!  You are a real hoot!
You are too mickey.  Cheesy

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2010, 05:29:26 PM »

Quite frankly, I think that those who have a problem with it need to grow up and get over it. Its ridiculous to create issues where none exist.

Thank God for people like you with the Bishop Ireland mentality.  You drive hundreds of your Byzantine Catholic flock out of the Catholic Church and into the arms of Orthodoxy.

If you don't think this is an important issue for the Byzantine Catholics, have a look at the threads concerning it and the literally thousands of messages from priests and laity.
"The Revised Divine Liturgy"
http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/15/1
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:31:32 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2010, 06:00:19 PM »

Papist, you are missing the point. The very fact that clown masses and other travesties are being held, and continue to be held, in the first place, points to either a breakdown in episcopal oversight, or, where bishops themselves have promoted such services (such as the unfortunate fellow in the Haloween mass), have not been brought to book by their superiors.

In the RCC, is it not a bishop's responsibility to "rightly proclaim the word of Truth", in other words, to oversee his flock, and ensure that proper order and teaching is observed by his clergy? Please do not see me as judgemental, but if an Orthodox clergyman was to conduct a clown liturgy or a Halloween liturgy, he would be taking his pick from the shovels, pronto. He would be hauled before his superiors before he knew it (through the action of his flock), and, at the very least, be asked to explain himself. I guarantee that the very least that would be required of him would be to "cease and desist".

The episcopate should not be a dictatorship or fiefdom, far from it. Pastoral economia (at least, among the Orthodox, I can't speak for the RCC) is a well-established principle, where allowances can be made for individual circumstance. But it is imperative that all clergy know what is permissible, and what is not, and that bishops be not afraid to act on practices which dilute or distort the truths of the church, or reduce worship to a caricature or mere entertainment. I am not Roman Catholic, but I have family and many friends who are, and it grieves me, and them, to know that gross travesties like these "masses" are allowed, by omission or commission, to occur.

Remember the case of the RC priest in Australia who conducted baptisms in the name of "the Creator, Liberator and Sustainer"? Last I heard, the Vatican has decided that all these baptisms need to be "regularised", as the Trinitarian formula was inadequate. Even "mere words" have great significance. What then, of messing around with liturgical form and praxis? Think about it, folks.  Smiley
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2010, 06:23:19 PM »

Thank God for people like you with the Bishop Ireland mentality.  You drive hundreds of your Byzantine Catholic flock out of the Catholic Church and into the arms of Orthodoxy.

If you don't think this is an important issue for the Byzantine Catholics, have a look at the threads concerning it and the literally thousands of messages from priests and laity.

There is also this interesting thread there on the point raised specifically by Irish Hermit:  "no respect from Latin Rite Catholics"...http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/340763/no%20respect%20from%20Latin%20Rite%20Cat#Post340763
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2010, 06:28:46 PM »

Respecting your kids, ¿What is it Worst, teaching them to quit, or to fight?

Just remember canon 112 P2

"§2. The practice, however prolonged, of receiving the sacraments according to the rite of another ritual Church sui iuris does not entail enrollment in that Church." end of quote.

So, If your kids have been baptized catholics, they will always be catholics, as well as you.

Honestly Alonso I don't mind being Catholic, what I mind is not being allowed to be Fully Catholic. I mean being nourished by the works of the Saints and the fullness of expression of the Sacraments. Having Priests that we can trust and not worry every time they give a homily what they are going to say. I'm so tired of that.

It's not 'being Catholic'... I'm not leaving because I don't want to be Catholic. If I leave I will leave because I am in a community that will aid me to be a Saint.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2010, 07:44:26 PM »

I think they are making it an issue. But that doesn't mean its a substantial issue in and of itself.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:44:37 PM by Papist » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »

Papist, you are missing the point. The very fact that clown masses and other travesties are being held, and continue to be held, in the first place, points to either a breakdown in episcopal oversight, or, where bishops themselves have promoted such services (such as the unfortunate fellow in the Haloween mass), have not been brought to book by their superiors.

In the RCC, is it not a bishop's responsibility to "rightly proclaim the word of Truth", in other words, to oversee his flock, and ensure that proper order and teaching is observed by his clergy? Please do not see me as judgemental, but if an Orthodox clergyman was to conduct a clown liturgy or a Halloween liturgy, he would be taking his pick from the shovels, pronto. He would be hauled before his superiors before he knew it (through the action of his flock), and, at the very least, be asked to explain himself. I guarantee that the very least that would be required of him would be to "cease and desist".

The episcopate should not be a dictatorship or fiefdom, far from it. Pastoral economia (at least, among the Orthodox, I can't speak for the RCC) is a well-established principle, where allowances can be made for individual circumstance. But it is imperative that all clergy know what is permissible, and what is not, and that bishops be not afraid to act on practices which dilute or distort the truths of the church, or reduce worship to a caricature or mere entertainment. I am not Roman Catholic, but I have family and many friends who are, and it grieves me, and them, to know that gross travesties like these "masses" are allowed, by omission or commission, to occur.

Remember the case of the RC priest in Australia who conducted baptisms in the name of "the Creator, Liberator and Sustainer"? Last I heard, the Vatican has decided that all these baptisms need to be "regularised", as the Trinitarian formula was inadequate. Even "mere words" have great significance. What then, of messing around with liturgical form and praxis? Think about it, folks.  Smiley
Hey you are preaching to the Choir here. I absolutely agree with you. But I don't think a very small handful of extreme examples are characteristic of my Church.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »

There is also this interesting thread there on the point raised specifically by Irish Hermit:  "no respect from Latin Rite Catholics"...http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/340763/no%20respect%20from%20Latin%20Rite%20Cat#Post340763
I would respond but I was band for stating that all Catholics, including Byzantines, are required to accept all Catholic Dogma.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »

Respecting your kids, ¿What is it Worst, teaching them to quit, or to fight?

Just remember canon 112 P2

"§2. The practice, however prolonged, of receiving the sacraments according to the rite of another ritual Church sui iuris does not entail enrollment in that Church." end of quote.

So, If your kids have been baptized catholics, they will always be catholics, as well as you.

Honestly Alonso I don't mind being Catholic, what I mind is not being allowed to be Fully Catholic. I mean being nourished by the works of the Saints and the fullness of expression of the Sacraments. Having Priests that we can trust and not worry every time they give a homily what they are going to say. I'm so tired of that.

It's not 'being Catholic'... I'm not leaving because I don't want to be Catholic. If I leave I will leave because I am in a community that will aid me to be a Saint.
1. Where on earth do you go to Church that you don't experience trustworthy priests?
2. An act of schism will certainly not lead you to sanctity.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2010, 09:30:49 PM »

I would respond but I was band for stating that all Catholics, including Byzantines, are required to accept all Catholic Dogma.

Curiously, I was banned for the same reason  Cheesy. The tortured logic that the "Orthodox in Communion with Rome" come up with gets really cartoonish over there.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2010, 10:16:13 PM »

Hey you are preaching to the Choir here. I absolutely agree with you. But I don't think a very small handful of extreme examples are characteristic of my Church.

Papist, at no time did I say these travesties were characteristic of your church. What I did say was that their very existence, even if conducted by a small minority of RC clergy, constitute a debasement of the RC faith, which can only be corrected by a more rigorous approach on the part of the laity (they can only do so much), and, more importantly, from the episcopate and higher orders, if such transgressions are promoted by bishops themselves, as has been shown. By contrast, if an Orthodox cleric were to hold wayward liturgies, he would be VERY swiftly dealt with.

There was even a case a few years ago of a bishop in the north of Greece who took it upon himself to conduct services in modern Greek. Though many would see this as a minor deviation of litugical order, it didn't last long, and he was quite chastised by his fellow bishops. If such a seemingly minor infraction was dealt with in this way, then you should be able to imagine the avalanche that would result if an Orthodox priest or bishop held a clown liturgy or a Halloween liturgy, or any other form of worship which didn't shape up. If the Orthodox can manage to curb such infractions in line, then why can't your lot seem to consistently be able to?  Sad Huh
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:17:40 PM by LBK » Logged
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2010, 11:38:21 PM »

Lord have mercy. I have seen some strange things but I'm glad I have not seen any of that going on in any of the Roman churches in my city. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I have not seen or heard of such things. That is taking things a little far.
I have seen these videos before. They are mainly posted by Traditionalist Roman Catholics. You  can see more on their websites.

I think these (clown Masses) are an abomination.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:34 PM »

Lord have mercy. I have seen some strange things but I'm glad I have not seen any of that going on in any of the Roman churches in my city. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I have not seen or heard of such things. That is taking things a little far.
I have seen these videos before. They are mainly posted by Traditionalist Roman Catholics. You  can see more on their websites.

Irrelevant as to who posts them online, ChristusDominus. My gripe is that such travesties continue to be conducted by certain clergy, including some bishops, who appear to be "in good standing" with their church.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2010, 11:45:10 PM »

I think they are not as rare as you believe. But I will answer your question.

I am old enough to remember attending the Latin Mass of my youth.  To see this now--is a travesty.
I agree

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2010, 11:47:59 PM »

Irrelevant as to who posts them online, ChristusDominus. My gripe is that such travest" ies continue to be conducted by certain clergy, including some bishops, who appear to be "in good standing" with their church.
Isn't that a phenomenon?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »

Curiously, I was banned for the same reason  Cheesy. The tortured logic that the "Orthodox in Communion with Rome" come up with gets really cartoonish over there.
I guess we will have to be in agreement on that point.   Cheesy

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2010, 11:04:32 AM »

Papist, at no time did I say these travesties were characteristic of your church. What I did say was that their very existence, even if conducted by a small minority of RC clergy, constitute a debasement of the RC faith, which can only be corrected by a more rigorous approach on the part of the laity (they can only do so much), and, more importantly, from the episcopate and higher orders, if such transgressions are promoted by bishops themselves, as has been shown. By contrast, if an Orthodox cleric were to hold wayward liturgies, he would be VERY swiftly dealt with.

There was even a case a few years ago of a bishop in the north of Greece who took it upon himself to conduct services in modern Greek. Though many would see this as a minor deviation of litugical order, it didn't last long, and he was quite chastised by his fellow bishops. If such a seemingly minor infraction was dealt with in this way, then you should be able to imagine the avalanche that would result if an Orthodox priest or bishop held a clown liturgy or a Halloween liturgy, or any other form of worship which didn't shape up. If the Orthodox can manage to curb such infractions in line, then why can't your lot seem to consistently be able to?  Sad Huh
Well, I agree with everything you have said here. I think for the most part the extreme abuses in the Liturgy are usually dealt with. That being said, could American Catholic Bishops stand to be tougher? They sure could. The problem is that once pandora's box has been opened, it takes a long time pull all those demons back in. I believe that we are in the process of fixing the problem but I don't believe that it will happen over night.

I have a questions as well. Since contraception is contrary to traditional Orthodox morality, why are your bishops not doing more to preach against it? You see, once a negative movement like this has begun, its really hard to stop.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »

Irrelevant as to who posts them online, ChristusDominus. My gripe is that such travest" ies continue to be conducted by certain clergy, including some bishops, who appear to be "in good standing" with their church.
Isn't that a phenomenon?
I love your Avatar btw. St. Pio was an amazing saint.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »

Remember the case of the RC priest in Australia who conducted baptisms in the name of "the Creator, Liberator and Sustainer"? Last I heard, the Vatican has decided that all these baptisms need to be "regularised", as the Trinitarian formula was inadequate. Even "mere words" have great significance. What then, of messing around with liturgical form and praxis? Think about it, folks.  Smiley

There was even a case a few years ago of a bishop in the north of Greece who took it upon himself to conduct services in modern Greek. Though many would see this as a minor deviation of litugical order, it didn't last long, and he was quite chastised by his fellow bishops. If such a seemingly minor infraction was dealt with in this way, then you should be able to imagine the avalanche that would result if an Orthodox priest or bishop held a clown liturgy or a Halloween liturgy, or any other form of worship which didn't shape up. If the Orthodox can manage to curb such infractions in line, then why can't your lot seem to consistently be able to?  Sad Huh
Well, I agree with everything you have said here. I think for the most part the extreme abuses in the Liturgy are usually dealt with. That being said, could American Catholic Bishops stand to be tougher? They sure could. The problem is that once pandora's box has been opened, it takes a long time pull all those demons back in. I believe that we are in the process of fixing the problem but I don't believe that it will happen over night.

I have a questions as well. Since contraception is contrary to traditional Orthodox morality, why are your bishops not doing more to preach against it? You see, once a negative movement like this has begun, its really hard to stop.

On your question on contraception: If I were to answer it, I would derail the thread. At any rate, this is an individual pastoral matter, while at the same time, Orthodox bishops in my experience haven't exactly been silent on the matter.

Pandora's Box may have been opened regarding liturgical and other abuses, but it is really so difficult for each bishop to put his foot down in his diocese? And, apart from voting with their feet, as so many of my RC friends are doing, does not the laity have some say in this, as they did, with the help of their bishop, in succeeding to shut down the blasphemous OL of Guadelupe exhibition, or to restore the proper Trinitarian formula for baptisms in the church I earlier referred to? It worked then, why not for the arguably graver transgression of turning Mass into a pantomime, into cheap entertainment?

We are not talking about "private", individual, personal matters here, but the public expression of the faith of the RCC, the very heart of its worship. I'm not arguing the merits of the Tridentine Mass versus Novus Ordo per se, but of the continued conducting, even if in a small number of churches, of liturgical travesties. Even if it were happening in but ONE church, that is one church too many.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:18:57 PM by LBK » Logged
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2010, 02:21:28 PM »

Pandora's Box may have been opened regarding liturgical and other abuses, but it is really so difficult for each bishop to put his foot down in his diocese? And, apart from voting with their feet, as so many of my RC friends are doing, does not the laity have some say in this, as they did, with the help of their bishop, in succeeding to shut down the blasphemous OL of Guadelupe exhibition, or to restore the proper Trinitarian formula for baptisms in the church I earlier referred to? It worked then, why not for the arguably graver transgression of turning Mass into a pantomime, a sideshow?

We are not talking about "private", individual, personal matters here, but the public expression of the faith of the RCC, the very heart of its worship. I'm not arguing the merits of the Tridentine Mass versus Novus Ordo per se, but of the continued conducting, even if in a small number of churches, of liturgical travesties. Even if it were happening in but ONE church, that is one church too many.

Perhaps too little too late but when the Bishop is part of the problem and most individuals are only moderately religious and their vocation is seen more as a occupation... what do you expect them to do? If an inquiry were done can you imagine what the media would do?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »

Pandora's Box may have been opened regarding liturgical and other abuses, but it is really so difficult for each bishop to put his foot down in his diocese? And, apart from voting with their feet, as so many of my RC friends are doing, does not the laity have some say in this, as they did, with the help of their bishop, in succeeding to shut down the blasphemous OL of Guadelupe exhibition, or to restore the proper Trinitarian formula for baptisms in the church I earlier referred to? It worked then, why not for the arguably graver transgression of turning Mass into a pantomime, a sideshow?

Perhaps too little too late but when the Bishop is part of the problem and most individuals are only moderately religious and their vocation is seen more as a occupation... what do you expect them to do? If an inquiry were done can you imagine what the media would do?

It's never too late to act to correct such abuses, Ignatius. And if the media get hold of the "story" does this mean that the "good name of the church" takes precedence over what is right and proper praxis? Perpetuating ignorance and selection of poor episcopal candidates is little excuse.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:32:10 PM by LBK » Logged
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »

It's never too late to act to correct such abuses, Ignatius. And if the media get hold of the "story" does this mean that the "good name of the church" takes precedence over what is right and proper praxis? Perpetuating ignorance and selection of poor episcopal candidates is little excuse.

I think if you are not Catholic in America, you're honestly not in a position to dictate. Vast numbers of Catholics are nominal at best. Many just don't care. I've spent the better part of 5 years dialoguing with Priests and Deacons and Laity who think God is Accepting and Accommodating. We don't have to stick to stuffy praxis, as such is born out of fear of God and whatnot. This is the mentality. You are talking about a few voices that largely come across as 'judgmental' and 'lacking love' compared to the vast majority who are okay living a nominal Christian lifestyle.

Even St. Isaac said that ascesis draws only a few every generation. You seem to assume the throughout history the mast majority of Christians were dutiful. I don't know if St. Isaac would agree with you.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »

I think if you are not Catholic in America, you're honestly not in a position to dictate. Vast numbers of Catholics are nominal at best. Many just don't care. I've spent the better part of 5 years dialoguing with Priests and Deacons and Laity who think God is Accepting and Accommodating. We don't have to stick to stuffy praxis, as such is born out of fear of God and whatnot. This is the mentality. You are talking about a few voices that largely come across as 'judgmental' and 'lacking love' compared to the vast majority who are okay living a nominal Christian lifestyle.

Even St. Isaac said that ascesis draws only a few every generation. You seem to assume the throughout history the mast majority of Christians were dutiful. I don't know if St. Isaac would agree with you.
I have seen both good and bad priests in the EO Church as well. I visited a Greek Orthodox Church here in Albuquerque. The sermon was not about God's call to righteousness or his salavation. It was pretty much one of those warm squishy sermons that many charge Catholic priests with. The other Church I visited was OCA, and I actually visted several times. That priest happens to be the brother of one of the deacons at my old Ruthenian parish. The OCA priest preached a sermon of true repentance and conversion. I suspect that you get both kinds of priest in the EO just as you would get both kinds of priest in the Catholic Church.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »

I love your Avatar btw. St. Pio was an amazing saint.
Thanks, he truly was an amazing man.Yet, his life was no bowl of cherries.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:00:52 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

Tags: Monasticism 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: