OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:30:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Orthodox Patriarch Agrees With Pope  (Read 1305 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 06, 2010, 03:35:43 PM »

From Zenit:
MOSCOW, Russia, FEB. 5, 2010 (Zenit.org).- Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia is affirming that the Russian Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church stand together on many current social issues.

The Russian Orthodox leader stated this Tuesday while addressing a bishops' meeting of his Church in Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral, Interfax reported.

He observed: "We [together with the Roman Catholic Church] have similar positions on many problems facing Christians in the modern world. They include aggressive secularization, globalization, and the erosion of the traditional moral principles.

"It should be noted that on these issues Pope Benedict XVI has taken a stance close to the Orthodox one."

The patriarch, who celebrated his first anniversary as leader of the Russian Orthodox Church on Monday, added that on the other hand, he is noticing "growing differences with Protestant denominations."

Recently, the patriarch said, "the Russian Church has seen less Protestant communities cooperating in the cause of preserving the Christian legacy" due to "the relentless liberalization of the Protestant world."

He continued, "Alas, not only have they failed to conduct a real propagation of the Christian values among the secular society, many Protestant communities prefer to adjust to its standards." The patriarch made a particular reference to the recent election of a female bishop, Margot Kaessmann, as head of the Evangelical Church in Germany.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »

From Zenit:
MOSCOW, Russia, FEB. 5, 2010 (Zenit.org).- Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia is affirming that the Russian Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church stand together on many current social issues.

The Russian Orthodox leader stated this Tuesday while addressing a bishops' meeting of his Church in Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral, Interfax reported.

He observed: "We [together with the Roman Catholic Church] have similar positions on many problems facing Christians in the modern world. They include aggressive secularization, globalization, and the erosion of the traditional moral principles.

"It should be noted that on these issues Pope Benedict XVI has taken a stance close to the Orthodox one."

The patriarch, who celebrated his first anniversary as leader of the Russian Orthodox Church on Monday, added that on the other hand, he is noticing "growing differences with Protestant denominations."

Recently, the patriarch said, "the Russian Church has seen less Protestant communities cooperating in the cause of preserving the Christian legacy" due to "the relentless liberalization of the Protestant world."

He continued, "Alas, not only have they failed to conduct a real propagation of the Christian values among the secular society, many Protestant communities prefer to adjust to its standards." The patriarch made a particular reference to the recent election of a female bishop, Margot Kaessmann, as head of the Evangelical Church in Germany.

Thanks for sharing Jetavan. It's nice to hear this recognition of common interests between the First Rome and the Third.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, so it stands to reason that the Pope would get a few things right now and then.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 07:12:07 PM »

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, so it stands to reason that the Pope would get a few things right now and then.

It is thought that the Moral Law is a constant.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 07:12:54 PM »

It sounds like they're getting a lot of things right. The list of differences between the churches isn't as long as you'd like it to be.  Yes, the entire theological paradigm is different which can make the list infinite, but when you're dealing with reality and not speculative formulae we are quite close on most issues.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:23:08 PM »

It sounds like they're getting a lot of things right. The list of differences between the churches isn't as long as you'd like it to be.  Yes, the entire theological paradigm is different which can make the list infinite, but when you're dealing with reality and not speculative formulae we are quite close on most issues.

From what I can tell, there's only a handfull of real differences. I think it's great when real agreement on something can be acknowledged. As far as the OP, I'm really not that surprised to see agreement on this. Both Churches have always maintained that life is a gift from God and that the human person is made in the image and likeness of God.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:33:39 AM »

As a traditional Catholic who in no way wants to down play our differences, I think we agree much much much more than we disagree.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »

I would like it if our differences were zero, so the list is much longer than I would like.  You are correct; the entire theological paradigm is different, making the list nearly infinite.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 12:51:15 AM »

I wouldn't play this up as a difference between reality and speculative formulae, as though dogma can be relegated to the scrap heap of speculation.  The dogmatic differences between the East and Rome are very much an argument over reality.  The difference I see, then, is the difference between internal and external.  The two biggest segments of what most will call Christendom argue internally over dogmatic issues, even to the extent that one side will deem the other as outside the Church, yet we seem to agree more often than not on how to present ourselves to the outside world of those who don't identify themselves with Christianity at all.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:51:54 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: