OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 10:08:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visiting a Monastery  (Read 1017 times) Average Rating: 0
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« on: January 18, 2010, 11:42:15 PM »

How do you arrange a pilgrimage to a monastery when you're not personally familiar with the abbot or guestmaster?

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »

Just call them up and tell them who you are, when you want to stay, etc. There shouldn't be any problem. Which monasteries did you have in mind?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »

Are there other unique circumstances, like the monastery being in another country or something? Regarding my own experiences with first visits, in one case I called ahead to introduce myself and ask about staying for a weekend, and in another case I think I emailed the monastery to ask for permission to visit. I've noticed that sometimes a monastery will have something on their website about how they would like to be contacted, what they expect, etc.

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Hopeful Faithful
How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?

Faith: In transition to the Russian old Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Strong Russian Old Pomorsky (Stranniki)

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 06:59:41 AM »

Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What pious man will keep silence, or who will remain altogether at peace? For silence means consent. Oftentimes war is known to be praiseworthy, and a battle proves to be better than a peace that harms the soul. For it is better to separate ourselves from them who do not believe aright than to follow them in evil concord, and by our union with them separate ourselves from God. – St. Meletius the Confessor

Forgive, brother John

HIS Judgment Cometh, And That Right Soon! Mark 13:35

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »

Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What pious man will keep silence, or who will remain altogether at peace? For silence means consent. Oftentimes war is known to be praiseworthy, and a battle proves to be better than a peace that harms the soul. For it is better to separate ourselves from them who do not believe aright than to follow them in evil concord, and by our union with them separate ourselves from God. – St. Meletius the Confessor

Forgive, brother John

So, what do you hope to contribute to this discussion with the above post?
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »

Forgive, brother John

So, what do you hope to contribute to this discussion with the above post?

Well, now I know to avoid lawless monastics.  And evil presbyters.   Wink Grin

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

f.k.a. Matron.a
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 05:12:54 PM »

Anyway, what I was hoping to learn was whether you contact the abbot (for his blessing) or the guestmaster (regarding availability of accommodations) first, and then how one properly addresses the abbot and guestmaster in written correspondence.  Could anybody help me?

f.k.a. Matron.a
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:29:55 PM »

Orual- It probably depends on the monastery. Ask your priest or someone you know who's been to the monastery.

Typically, I think one should ask for the abbot or monastic's blessing at the beginning.

I wouldn't worry too much about the etiquette, though- it's not like they'll turn you away for addressing someone the wrong way. Some monasteries will have a particular monastic who talks to pilgrims and schedules their stays; some places will have you talk directly to the abbot. I know, in the case of St. Tikhon's monastery in PA, you just email the abbot (Fr. Sergius) and tell him when you plan on coming, and he'll let you know if that works.

Which monasteries did you have in mind?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:32:02 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 05:33:06 PM »

http://groups.google.com/group/Orthodox-ROAC/browse_thread/thread/605fc3c0d36bae22

Addressing Clergy in a Letter
When we write to a clergyman, we should open our letter with the greeting, "Father, Bless" At the end of the letter, it is customary to close with the following line: "Kissing your right hand," It is not appropriate to invoke a blessing on a clergyman, such as: "May God bless you." Not only does this show a certain spiritual arrogance before the image of the cleric, but laymen do not have the Grace of the Priesthood and the prerogative to bless in their stead. Even a Priest properly introduces his letters with the words, "The blessing of the Lord" or "May God bless you," rather than offering his own blessing. Though he can do the latter, humility prevails in his behavior, too. Needless to say, when a clergyman writes to his ecclesiastical superior, he should ask for a blessing and not bestow one.

Clergymen of the same office (Deacon, Presbyter, Bishop) greet one another with "Christ is in our midst!" and respond to this greeting with, "He is and ever shall be!".

Formal Letter Address Deacons in the Orthodox Church are addressed in formal letters as "The Reverend Deacon," if they are not monastic Deacons. If they are Deacons who
are also monks, they are addressed as "The Reverend Hierodeacon." If a Deacon holds the honor of Archdeacon or Protodeacon, he is addressed as "The Very Reverend Archdeacon/Protodeacon." Deacons hold a rank in the Priesthood and are, therefore, not laymen as subdeacons and readers are. As members of the Priesthood, Deacons should be addressed, as noted above, as "Father".

Orthodox Priests are addressed in formal letters as "The Reverend Priest," if they are not monastics. If they are Hieromonks (monks who are also Priests), they are addressed as "The Reverend Hieromonk." Priests with special honors are addressed in this manner: an Archimandrite (the highest monastic rank below that of Bishop), "The Very Reverend Archimandrite" (or, in some Slavic jurisdictions, "The Right Reverend Archimandrite"); and Archpriests or Protopresbyters, "The Very Reverend Archpriest/Protopresbyter." In personal address, as we noted above, all Deacons and Priests are called "Father," usually followed by their Baptismal/Monastic names (e.g., "Father Anastasios").

Bishops in the Orthodox Church are addressed in formal letters as "The Right Reverend Bishop," followed by their first name in all caps (e.g., "The Right Reverend Bishop JOHN"). Archbishops and Metropolitans are addressed as "The Most Reverend Archbishop/Metropolitan". All ranks of Archpastors (Bishops, Archbishops, Metropolitans), because they are also monastics, are addressed by their first name or first name and sees (e.g., "Bishop JOHN of Chicago"). It is not correct to use the last name of a Bishop — or any monastic for that matter. Though many monastics and Bishops use their family names, even in Orthodox countries like Russia and Greece, this is absolutely improper and a violation of an ancient Church custom.

Addressing a Monastic in a Formal Letter
All male monastics in the Orthodox Church are called "Father," whether they hold the Priesthood or not, and are formally addressed in formal letters as "The Reverend Monk (name)," if they do not have a Priestly rank. If they are of Priestly rank, they are formally addressed as "The Reverend Hieromonk/Hierodeacon". Monastics are sometimes formally addressed according to their monastic rank; for example, " The Reverend Rasophore-monk," " The Reverend Stavrophore-monk," or " The Reverend Schemamonk." The Abbot of a monastery is addressed as "The Very Reverend Abbot," whether he holds Priestly rank or not and whether or not he is an Archimandrite by rank. The term "Brother" is used in Orthodox monasteries in one instance only: to designate novices who are given a blessing, in the strictest tradition, to wear only the inner cassock and a monastic cap.

Again, as we noted above, a monk never uses his last name. This reflects the Orthodox understanding of monasticism, in which the monastic dies to his former self and abandons all that identified him in the world. Lay people are also called to respect a monk's death to his past. (In Greek practice, a monk sometimes forms a new last name from the name of his monastery. Thus a monk from the Saint Gregory Palamas Monastery [Mone Agiou Gregoriou Palama, in Greek] might take the name Agiogregorites.) The titles used for male monastics also apply to female monastics. In fact, a community of female monastics is often called a "monastery" rather than a convent. Women monastics are addressed in formal letters as "The Reverend Nun" or " The Reverend Rasophore—nun," etc., and the Abbess of a convent is addressed as "The Very Reverend Abbess." Though traditions for informal address vary, in most places, Rasophore nuns, and in all places, novices, are called "Sister," while any monastic above the rank of Rasophore and the abbess is always called "Mother. When greeting an Abbess, a layperson should, just as we do with an Abbot, ask for a blessing, saying, "Mother, Bless" rather than "Father, Bless". Abbots and Abbesses can often be identified by their wearing of a pectoral cross.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have only visited one monastery, thus far.  However, while we shouldn't follow "anyone" blindly, I found it to be peaceful and reinvigorating.  There's something special about being in a place dedicated to worshiping God, and among people who are there for the same purpose.

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. - Matthew 18:20

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 11:39:52 PM »

What I do is call them in advance (even the larger Sketes on Mount Athos have phones!), and ask if you can stay such and such days.   The guestmaster will either give you a yes or no there.  Usually the answer is yes unless something special's going on and they expect a large number of tourists (I was denied a visit to one monastery because the Patriarch was going to be there that day, and they were already full!).   

I've never talked to the abbot in this process, unless the Abbot serves has guestmaster himself!  Also, most of the guestmasters I've met are ordinary monks, so you can just call them "Father [name]".  Don't worry though about addressing, though.  Some monasteries use "old-country" vocabulary a lot.  But don't worry - you'll pick it up in a day or so. 

If you've never been to one, do try to stay at least 2-3 days, so you get a feel of things.  And do make a donation if you can, and offer to help if they need it. 

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »

Forgive, brother John

By you quoting that I get the idea you interpret it as saying all monastics and presbyters teach lawless and evil things, and not the correct meaning (and the only meaning it can have in standard English) to avoid those particular ones that do so.
Tags: Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: