OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 01:54:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wedding Rings  (Read 1263 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: January 18, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »

Out of curiosity, for those who are married, do you wear your ring on your right or left hand? And is there a specific reason for doing so, or are you just going with what you were told/taught?
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:01:44 PM »

Mine has been on my left hand for nearly 35 years, since 1975. Just local custom. Since then, I've read all sorts of reasons for meanings behind the choice of hand, but none of these were a factor at the time, or now.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »

In Poland it is worn on the right hand (only Priests wear theirs on the left one).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:40:51 PM »

Right hand, because that's where the priest put it.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »

Right hand..Parish peer pressure

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:36:14 PM »

Left hands, and they are staying there.  My wife has known no other way and myself and my priest see no reason to change it.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:58:29 PM »

Left hand. In America it lets people know you're married  Wink

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:59:55 PM »

Why wedding rings go on the left hand in some cultures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vena_amoris

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 12:20:40 AM »

Left hand. As I said on an earlier thread; that's where it was placed almost 30 years before I converted. That's where it belongs and where it was returned after our Orthodox wedding blessing.  Wink

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 11:31:25 AM »

Right hand, because that's where the priest put it.

laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »

this has been extensively discussed here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,23835.msg364874.html#msg364874

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 04:46:31 PM »

Do Priests wear theirs or are rings removed after ordination? In Poland a wedding rings is taken from the right hand during (or before, or after, I don't know precisely) the ordination because the man becomes married to the Church. Some Priests (most of them, actually) start to wear their wedding rings on the left hand instead.

And you?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 05:59:39 AM »

You may be interested in doing a search on this topic on this site.  The same essential issue was discussed at length, perhaps 6 months ago, if memory serves me correctly.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
jayjay

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 06:26:35 AM »

Reminds me of a Country song here in Australia;

"Engagement Ring, Wedding Ring, then comes the suffering....."

On the left!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 08:54:55 AM »

Do Priests wear theirs or are rings removed after ordination? In Poland a wedding rings is taken from the right hand during (or before, or after, I don't know precisely) the ordination because the man becomes married to the Church. Some Priests (most of them, actually) start to wear their wedding rings on the left hand instead. 

It depends on what the bishop says.  My Metropolitan says you can either wear it during Liturgy, or not, depending on your preference.  But I haven't heard of forgoing it altogether after ordination: the marriage to one's wife is not dissolved by the ordination.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 08:59:47 AM »

It depends on what the bishop says.  My Metropolitan says you can either wear it during Liturgy, or not, depending on your preference.  But I haven't heard of forgoing it altogether after ordination: the marriage to one's wife is not dissolved by the ordination.
I was told (by a monk btw) that the priest should wear it around his neck, on the chain of his baptismal cross "to cut down on the Tiffany at the altar."  He didn't buy the 'married to the Church' line.

Oh, btw, when I was shackled, I mean married, I wore it always on the right hand, where the priest put it. In fact, I never took it off until my wife made it clear that while I was married, she was not.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:05:49 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »

^ I've heard the advice from that POV before, too.  The usual is, and understandably so, something along the lines of "I'd hate for crumbs of the Lamb to get under/into the space between my ring and finger..."

---------------------
Tags: marriage wedding rings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: