OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:37:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My daughter HATES Orthodoxy & I only have -3 more yrs w/her. Any advise?  (Read 8488 times) Average Rating: 0
Marina14

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: January 18, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »

My daughter literally hates everything to do with the Orthodox Religion.
She's moving out as soon as she graduates High School so I only have less than 3 more yrs to parent her & influence her.
What do I do?
I want her to fall in love with God and His Orthodox Faith. I've constantly prayed for her. I'm at a loss.
She just told the priest during Confession that she wants to be Catholic and he told her "No. Don't be Catholic." She doesn't know and has No desire to know the differences between the Churches.
She really wants to be Agnostic or a Protestant or Catholic...Anything but Orthodox.
As a single parent and the only member of our extended family who is Orthodox & we have no Orthodox friends that live on this side of the country - so no other influence...What do I do?

I'm a Greek Orthodox Christian whose spiritual father is a Russian Orthodox priest and who is currently attending an OCA Church.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:11:29 PM »

Perhaps you could list some of her particular objections with Orthodoxy?
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum.   Smiley

Lord have Mercy.
Marina14

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 06:17:42 PM »

Her response: It's stupid. It's boring. It's pointless. It's dumb. It's a waste of time. It takes to long. I can't understand it anyway even when it is chanted in English because everything is sung.

I'm a Greek Orthodox Christian whose spiritual father is a Russian Orthodox priest and who is currently attending an OCA Church.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:17:54 PM »

Love her and pray for her.  If your main goal is to make her love the religion, then that's exactly what she's going to rebel against.  If it's not prying too deeply, how long have you been attempting to instill the faith in her?  Have you been lax in raising her Orthodox up to this point?  Have you been praying with her has she grows up and doing the daily prayers and scripture readings with her?  If you're trying to compensate now for doing a poor job up until this point, it's probably not going to work.  With a teenager, the surest way to drive them away from anything is to let them know how much you want them to do something.  If you were an atheist and hated religion, I bet Orthodoxy would be looking pretty good to her right now.

All you can do is show Christ's love.  Everyone has to wrestle with belief, it's the beauty of the way God created us.  She has to choose God for herself, not because you want it for her.

By the way, how do you know what she confessed to your priest?  If he's sharing her confessions with you, then it's no wonder she's not interested!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:19:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

If she's in her mid-teens she just may be going through a rebellious stage.  She probably knows that Orthodoxy is important to you and she is using it to strike out at you.  Why is she striking out at you?  Because she needs to strike out at someone and you are a "safe" person, because she knows you love her.

OK, how's that for pop-psychology?   Smiley  I'm just basing this on what I've observed with others like you who are parenting teenagers.  I would just pray about it.  The good news is that she will most likely eventually come around.  The bad news is that it may take a while.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »

Her response: It's stupid. It's boring. It's pointless. It's dumb. It's a waste of time. It takes too long.

This is probably her reaction to anything that's not on MTV right now.  Don't take your teenager too seriously, because they sure don't take anything very seriously.
Marina14

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 06:29:52 PM »

She's never been allowed to watch MTV and I don't think any of her friends do either.

Marina14

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 06:37:23 PM »

Love her and pray for her. If it's not prying too deeply, how long have you been attempting to instill the faith in her?  Have you been lax in raising her Orthodox up to this point?  Have you been praying with her has she grows up and doing the daily prayers and scripture readings with her?
By the way, how do you know what she confessed to your priest?  If he's sharing her confessions with you, then it's no wonder she's not interested!

I've loving and praying for her for years.

I've been trying to instill the Faith in her since our conversion to Orthodoxy.

No, she was never given a Prayer Rule by any priest.

The priest has never revealed what she confesses. She told me. It really pissed her off what he said and so she was venting to me about it.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 06:46:37 PM »

She's never been allowed to watch MTV and I don't think any of her friends do either.

Well, I just meant at that age that teenagers are typically only interested in popular culture and celebrities, rock bands, et cetera.  Some people never grow past the cult of celebrity (People Magazine, anyone?).  I understand that you just want her to love Christ, but all you can do is pray for her.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 06:50:14 PM »

Marina,

Remember the Prodigal Son? Be like his Father; wait and pray. The more you push, the more she will resist and the more distance you will put between her and you. Give her your blessing and your unconditonal love and let her "do her thing". It's hard and the things she might do in the future will be hard to witness, but it's her life and you need to let her live it. It might be years before she wants to be a Christian on her own terms rather than yours, but she needs to find faith for herself. You can't force piety onto anyone; to attempt to do so with cause more problems to your relationship with your daughter than necessary.

Lord, have mercy on Marina's daughter.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 06:54:22 PM »

Show her some 'Death to the World' zines.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Marina14

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 06:57:50 PM »

Just so I'm clear on the advise being given: I should continue to pray for her. I should Not take her to Church or encourage her to pray at all - just not say anything to her at all & not have her exposed to the Church & just hope and pray for the best. That somehow with Non-exposure she will fall in love with God and His Church?

Marina14

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »

What is that?

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 07:04:03 PM »

Just so I'm clear on the advise being given: I should continue to pray for her. I should Not take her to Church or encourage her to pray at all - just not say anything to her at all & not have her exposed to the Church & just hope and pray for the best. That somehow with Non-exposure she will fall in love with God and His Church?

If the alternative is further pushing her to attend services she hates, it seems the likelihood is high she will hate them more if compelled to attend. I think continuing to love her, support her, and pray for her, while showing her in your actions the good fruits of being Orthodox, are your best options. Compulsion or coercion will just further turn her off.
It's not you who can convert her- only God. Oh...and a lot can happen in 3 years, especially if they're teenage years.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:06:18 PM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 07:05:08 PM »

What is that?

http://www.deathtotheworld.com/

http://www.deathtotheworld.com/articles/001/dttw.html

The last true rebellion is death to the world. To be crucified to the world and the world to us.

With the seed of dissatisfaction deeply planted in the heart of today's society, rebellion has been a small key to unlock the doors of change. But the rebellion that the world has known is not the fullness of true rebellion.

Since our times have come to a point where things can't get much worse, the few remaining lovers of truth must search deeper into themselves and deeper into the truth itself -- but to get to this point a revolution must take place. A revolution in the hearts of these lovers of truth. A revolution that annihilates all earthly and worldly thinking and that nurtures a way of thinking that is not of this world. Because that which is of the flesh is of the flesh and that which is of the spirit is of the spirit.

There is a grave necessity for this internal revolution, for only by this can progress be made. For how can one help a world with festering wounds until one mends one's own wounds. After this spiritual surgery has taken place, true rebellion is an ideal that is attainable.

In this age of confusion and destruction, the necessary distinction between good vs evil has been deathly confused. The result of this is nihilism. The philosophy of nothingness, that no ultimate truth exists. In nihilism, there is neither love or hatred, good or bad, life or death. The result of this is the soul destroying idea that even God does not exist.

The natural reaction to all of this is an internal rebellion of the soul, for the soul cannot deny it's own existence. At this point an all-out unseen war is fully engaged. In the case of the lover of truth, the rebellion manifests itself externally in a rebellion against this corrupt world. This is good, but there are too many people who just stop at this point. Without searching any further, how can one expect to uncover the answers? True rebellion will stop at nothing in the fight for the good of the world, for the good of others, and for the good itself in whatever way it manifests itself. It is necessary to wage a revolution in the heart in order to conquer evil with good so as to have a rebellion in truth. This is the kind of rebellion that must take place pr else it isn't rebellion at all.

There once was a counter-culture with the sole purpose of rebelling against the world. This counter-culture was wise in the sense that it's philosophy was based on recognizing the corruption of the world. In this lies half of the truth. It represents more truth than the world would ever dare to acknowledge. But this counter-culture must not stop at this, but must seek unto death the ultimate in truth if it is to accomplish that which it first set out to do: to care for and tend the world's wounds.

This counter culture of Punx is something that a handful of truth seekers can easily identify with, for it is very clear that the world is coming to a close. To be a true punk is to have nothing to do with that element which kills, hurts and causes pain, but to cauterize wounds. To be in the world but not of the world.

In actuality the true ideals of punk have yet to be introduced to the Punx themselves, as does the fullness of their rebellion. These ideals and this philosophy are the world's best kept secret. A secret that has been in the souls of those few lovers of truth ever since the beginning of time. The philosophy of punk has been around for centuries in the hearts and souls of the true Punx ... The Monks.

Monks are those who for thousands of years have rebelled against the corruption of this world by severing all chains binding themselves to the world. They have fled this vain world to live in caves, in holes in the ground, and to dwell in the deserts. To eat maybe once a day or even once a week, to wear the same clothes until they completely fall apart, and to rarely sleep because the cause is more important than the pleasures of this world. In these deprivations and sufferings they would realize one thing: There is no real suffering at all than to not know God.

"This is the last true rebellion: To forsake the world and to embrace God alone." -- Monk Justin Martyr

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 07:07:46 PM »

How old is she... 15? Haven't you already exposed her to the Church; and are now expressing concern at her current reaction? Doesn't sound like pushing it is going to change anything, other than make it worse. But your unconditional love and patience might. Have you ever told her that her decision is ultimately hers and you will love her no matter what choice she makes?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »

Her response: It's stupid. It's boring. It's pointless. It's dumb. It's a waste of time. It takes to long. I can't understand it anyway even when it is chanted in English because everything is sung.

Hi Marina, welcome to the forum. Smiley I'm a bit older than your daughter (I'm 30), but I'm a sometime agnostic, sometime Orthodox Christian, sometime something else, so perhaps I can sympathise with both you and your daughter. I wouldn't say that Orthodoxy is stupid or dumb or a waste of time, but I certainly have had thoughts such as: "I don't believe this, so why am I praying? why am I attending liturgy? what's the point?"  Really, and this can't be easy for anyone to hear as advice, but this is probably out of your control. It'll just take time and allowing your daughter to find herself. The life in Christ takes cooperation with God, and if your daughter doesn't want to cooperate, well what can you do, but pray and try to provide an example, and prepare yourself to answer questions when she is ready to think about being Orthodox down the road?

I should Not take her to Church or encourage her to pray at all - just not say anything to her at all & not have her exposed to the Church & just hope and pray for the best. That somehow with Non-exposure she will fall in love with God and His Church?

Fwiw, if I was in your position, I would invite her to Church, but not force her to go. Non-exposure won't make her fall in love with God, but on the other hand, forcing her to do something against her will might cause some issues that will take longer to resolve than if you had just let her have her own way for the time being. On the one hand, I can see how you wouldn't want her to be unchurched. On the other hand, you don't want her leaving your home and going off on her own being bitter or resentful, and vowing that "now that she's free to do as she wants" she will never be Orthodox. But whatever your decision, I'd try to explain your thinking to her. Do so in a letter if that would be better (e.g. if trying to talk about it would just result in a fight, or she would mostly ignore you).

I'm sorry that I'm not of much help, those are my thoughts though, for whatever they're worth.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »

Marina,
I think what people mean is that your daughter will learn about God and the Church from you. If you force it on her against her will at this age (the "rebellious" teens), she will see God as imposing Himself on her against her will, and will of course come to hate the Church. If she doesn't want to go to Church, then you go. Light the vigil lamp in front of the icons and incense the house, give alms to the poor, keep the fasts, in short, be an example of Orthodox Christian Life for her. If she sees that you loving God and His Church is a positive thing in your life, she will follow your example. If on the other hand she perceives it as having a negative effect, she will reject it. Teenagers cannot tolerate the slightest hint of hypocrisy- they have a great way of keeping us honest.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
seabeau

Faith: Orthodox (Western Rite)
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »

Can’t force someone to like something.
I would help her find another Christian church and I would pray pray pray.

The worst thing of all is if she abandons Jesus and becomes an agnostic, in that state she will be open to great sin.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »

Welcome Marina!

Don’t despair.  There is hope!
 My first post on OCnet was almost exactly the same as yours.  One of my kids stated that he was never going to go to church again when he graduated from high school.  I talked with my priest and he reassured me that this probably would not happen.  He had heard this from many teens that had grown up in the Church and they were now active as adults.

Arguing with my son would have made him defend his statement, so I never discussed it. I prayed more diligently and covertly “evangelized” (there’s that scary word  Wink ) him in his last months at home.  I forced myself to talk more openly about Christ, the importance of doing His work, and our my love for our Church. I continuously pointed out positive works by Christians and our Church. I utilized discussions on world events to reinforce the differences in various religions.  Finally, I strongly encouraged him to continue contact with the other young adults at church when he went to college.

He did not stop attending DL as he had threatened.  Every Sunday that he has been home from college to visit, he has gotten out of bed without any conflict. He even attended a Vespers.  Glory to God!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:45:18 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 07:45:03 PM »

My rules that I learned from my parents-  If she lives in your house, eats your food, and uses your electricity, she follows your rules.  If the family goes to church, she should go to church with you....no exceptions.  You are the parent; be the parent.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:45:55 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 07:52:23 PM »

My rules that I learned from my parents-  If she lives in your house, eats your food, and uses your electricity, she follows your rules.  If the family goes to church, she should go to church with you....no exceptions.  You are the parent; be the parent.

As a 19-year-old rebellious guy I have to state it is the worst argument parents can use.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 07:53:21 PM »

My brother went through a very rebellious time at that age, and while he still said he cared about God, he almost never went to church and refused to be present when we prayed for our food (despite "house rules", being left at the homeless shelter for the night a few times, etc). It greatly upset my parents. I didn't (and don't) understand why kids rebel, so it was just an odd time. Then suddenly he started to turn around and attends church (my family is Protestant).

It's discouraging, but it may be a maturity thing. I don't have children so I'm of limited help, but prayer certainly can't hurt. Look to St Monica - she prayed for her rather wicked son for 20 years and never gave up. And Augustine went on to become one of Christianity's greatest saints, certainly in the West (theology aside).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:55:21 PM by bogdan » Logged
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 08:06:05 PM »

My rules that I learned from my parents-  If she lives in your house, eats your food, and uses your electricity, she follows your rules.  If the family goes to church, she should go to church with you....no exceptions.  You are the parent; be the parent.

As a 19-year-old rebellious guy I have to state it is the worst argument parents can use.
Too bad.  Smiley  Somebody has to be the boss in a family and it shouldn't be the child.  If my child wanted me to approve of activity that was unhealthy for her, I, the parent, would say, "No".  I've raised four extremely well-behaved kids that have never been in trouble or on drugs.  This is because I have prayed diligently for them and I have always been "the parent".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:06:55 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 08:10:28 PM »

Apostatising can't be described for atheist as an 'unhealthy activity'. Threatening to sack the child out of home because of worldview (not because of interesting in dangerous things) can only succeed in creating hatred between parents and the child.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 08:38:31 PM »

Too bad.  Smiley  Somebody has to be the boss in a family and it shouldn't be the child.  If my child wanted me to approve of activity that was unhealthy for her, I, the parent, would say, "No".  I've raised four extremely well-behaved kids that have never been in trouble or on drugs.  This is because I have prayed diligently for them and I have always been "the parent".

If the OP's daughter was into drugs or alcohol or beating the Bejeezus out of her classmates, then, as a parent, you have every right to put your foot down. But the issue here concerns religion. If Christ Himself told the Holy Apostles not to force religion on anyone they were going out to preach to, are you saying YOU know better than Christ Himself? You can force the religion on someone else, even under your roof, but I guarantee they will hate you for it and they won't truly be Orthodox. Orthodoxy is chosen, not forced, especially when it comes to a teen. Believe me, I still remember my teen years! Wink

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »

As others said, let her find her way.  If she doesn't believe something to be true, no amount of heated discussions nor forced Church attendance will do any good, but rather turn her against you and your beliefs.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »

As others said, let her find her way.  If she doesn't believe something to be true, no amount of heated discussions nor forced Church attendance will do any good, but rather turn her against you and your beliefs.
What if her daughter refused to not cook meth or refused to not inject heroin?

In parenting, some things are non-negotiable.  Kids must go to church and follow Christ’s teachings. They must go to school and study. They must stay away from drugs and sex.  They must do their share of chores.  Parents can negotiate with kids on small issues.

Marina, Go talk with your priest and many parents in your church.  If you give in on this issue, you will find that your daughter will demand that you give in on many other issues. Remember that you are the parent.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »

If she doesn't believe something to be true, no amount of heated discussions nor forced Church attendance will do any good, but rather turn her against you and your beliefs.
And worse, you will make her a hypocrite.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 09:26:12 PM »

What if her daughter refused to not cook meth or refused to not inject heroin?

In parenting, some things are non-negotiable.  Kids must go to church and follow Christ’s teachings. They must go to school and study. They must stay away from drugs and sex.  They must do their share of chores.  Parents can negotiate with kids on small issues.

Marina, Go talk with your priest and many parents in your church.  If you give in on this issue, you will find that your daughter will demand that you give in on many other issues. Remember that you are the parent.

Well, we will probably never agree since while I agree children must go to school and study, I don't believe they have to go to Church.  If they believe Orthodoxy is bunk, believe Christianity is bunk or believe any sort of theism is bunk, it is up to them to find their spiritual path or lack there of.  If she doesn't believe that her mother's spiritual beliefs are true, she shouldn't have them forced down her throat.  Should she be respectful of them?  Of course, but there is no reason she should have to agree with them any more than she should have to conform to her parent's political beliefs.  Let her figure out who she is and what she believes.  If she chooses to look into Orthodoxy down the road, great; if she doesn't, great.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:29:26 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 09:28:50 PM »

My daughter literally hates everything to do with the Orthodox Religion.
She's moving out as soon as she graduates High School so I only have less than 3 more yrs to parent her & influence her.
What do I do?
I want her to fall in love with God and His Orthodox Faith. I've constantly prayed for her. I'm at a loss.
She just told the priest during Confession that she wants to be Catholic and he told her "No. Don't be Catholic." She doesn't know and has No desire to know the differences between the Churches.
She really wants to be Agnostic or a Protestant or Catholic...Anything but Orthodox.
As a single parent and the only member of our extended family who is Orthodox & we have no Orthodox friends that live on this side of the country - so no other influence...What do I do?

It would be better for her to be Romanist than Protestant or even nothing, that is if her interest in their church is legitimate and informed. If you can't get her to be Orthodox but she truly wants to be Romanist, I don't see any reason that should be avoided. Otherwise she'll probably just become entirely non-religious.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 09:29:18 PM »

Good advice.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 09:30:12 PM »

Then her objections are strictly about the liturgical aspects?

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »

*gags*

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »

Marina,

If you don't share your religion with your child, someone else will.  Think about this.

None of the three previous posters that believe your daughter should stop attending church have ever raised teenagers.  Two of these posters are in their 20s.  Please contact your priest and other parents with teens in your church.  
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »

*gags*

laugh  I know what you mean.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »

Too bad.  Smiley

So then you're not concerned with what is actually helpful to a child. Good to know.

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »

None of the three previous posters that believe your daughter should stop attending church have ever raised teenagers.  Two of these posters are in their 20s.

Exactly, so teenage years in this spiritually pluralistic world are still fresh in our minds.  Tongue

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 09:49:34 PM »

*gags*

What's your issue with the "Death to the World" concept??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »

*gags*

What's your issue with the "Death to the World" concept??

In the way it is currently manifest it appears borderline Gnostic.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 09:57:19 PM »

I think trying the authoritarian approach at this late stage could do more damage than good. There was a time when such approaches worked for the most part; to what success is debatable. But the days of bullying almost-adult offspring to tow the line seem to be long gone. If you keep your daughter temporarily in the Church by your will, what good is that? She will flee when she gets the chance, anyway. Faith is something that one acquires not has acquired for one. If you have laid the ground work, it's now up to your daughter to finish the building of her faith for herself. It might be her decision to do that in the Catholic or some Protestant Church. But I have the feeling that she might be simply testing you to see your reaction.

edit: And I should add that I have brought up three children to make their own decisions. When they didn't wish to attend Church, I respected their decisions. All three are Christians. Now I watch as grandchildren go through the same stages, hopefully to always return to the faith of their childhood. It's not certain; it never will be, but they will always have someone praying for them and loving them unconditionally - no matter what they do!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:59:52 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »

In parenting, some things are non-negotiable.  Kids must go to church and follow Christ’s teachings. They must go to school and study. They must stay away from drugs and sex.  They must do their share of chores.  Parents can negotiate with kids on small issues.

So you think that going to the Church forced is better that not going, don't you?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 10:13:30 PM »

None of the three previous posters that believe your daughter should stop attending church have ever raised teenagers.  Two of these posters are in their 20s.

Exactly, so teenage years in this spiritually pluralistic world are still fresh in our minds.  Tongue
I also still have those memories.  I was a teenager in the 1960s, the free love and drugs generation.  As a my teenager, my sisters and I hated going to church. My parents forced us to attend DL while hung over or sometimes still wasted from partying Saturday night. We were always sulking, braless, wearing short, cropped tops with reeeeeally low hip huggers. My dad wouldn't comment on our outfits, but in front of the church he would hand us one of his huge, buttoned-down shirts.  If we didn't put it on, we were not allowed to see our friends the next weekend. We would reluctantly put on the huge shirts.  When we went off to college, we forgot about our church "trauma” and eventually returned to where we had learned about Christ.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 10:15:27 PM »

Ms. Hoorah, teenagers aren't normal kids. They are in the in-between stage, where there is much chaos. For a teenager, everything is experienced in a much heightened way. I KNOW this because I still remember my teen years, quite vividly. A normal person hates religion being forced upon them. A teenager will rage against such a force being put upon them, believe me! As OzGeorge has hinted, teens can smell hypocrisy ten miles away. Ms. Hoorah, you say you love your kids, but forcing Christ on them, when Christ NEVER did so during His life and after His resurrection, is the complete opposite of love.

The OP must trust that God is leading the way. Force should not be the means to the end she seeks. Gentleness and patience will go much farther.

Btw, her teenager won't automatically view her as a push-over when it comes to other matters. Not all teens are so manipulative. The thought might cross her mind, as it sometimes does during the rebellious years, but if it does, the OP needs to show her she won't budge on some things.

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Tags: parenting 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: