OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:04:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lenten Fasting  (Read 489 times) Average Rating: 0
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: January 18, 2010, 12:35:20 PM »

Hi All!

It's been quite a while since I have had the time to get to this site and I have missed it!  As Great Lent approaches, a question popped in my mind a few moments ago.  I believe I have heard before that there is no fasting all following Pashca, ending after Pentecost?  Not totally sure if I heard correctly or if this is something that is unique to my jurisdiction (Antiochian) or if this is true at all.  Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!

Formerly known as "mctavix"
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:54:34 PM »

Hi All!

It's been quite a while since I have had the time to get to this site and I have missed it!  As Great Lent approaches, a question popped in my mind a few moments ago.  I believe I have heard before that there is no fasting all following Pashca, ending after Pentecost?  Not totally sure if I heard correctly or if this is something that is unique to my jurisdiction (Antiochian) or if this is true at all.  Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!
As I understand this, the rule most Orthodox churches follow, and which even your Antiochian church followed until quite recently, is that we refrain from fasting only during Bright Week and return to the Wednesday and Friday fasts during the second week after Pascha.  I believe it was only in 1997 that the Holy Synod of the Antiochian Patriarchate rescinded this rule and mandated that you are not to fast at all for the fifty days between Pascha and Pentecost.  The Greek and Slavic churches did not follow their lead.

The following article should give you more info on this decision than I can.  (DISCLAIMER:  My act of posting the link is not to be seen as advocacy of the traditionalist opinions or perspectives expressed in the linked article, since I posted the link for informative purposes only.)

http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/antioch_innovation.aspx
Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: