OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 01:54:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I keep telling my wife I’m not becoming Orthodox...(1st post)  (Read 12621 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2010, 10:16:07 PM »

I'm sure the Immaculate conception would be in there too.

Yes it is I remember that and we spoke about it at length because at the time I wasn't in agreement with the Orthodox view of Mary Ever-Virgin.
Are you now?

It may be the case that I am past the point of conversion to another Tradition like Eastern Orthodoxy. The anecdotal stories, the doctrinal argumentations, and the shallow polemics seem to loose their luster with age. At my height of disgust with the American Roman Catholic Church I found many of these things very appealing but as I studied and begun to turn my eyes more upon my own failings I've begun not to measure my holiness by external things... which Parish I attend, what language the Liturgy is in or how many individuals genuflect or prostrate or cross themselves more than others. Yes, these acts of piety have value but not in the self-consciousness way which many, including myself, might think.

But to return to your actual question concerning my belief of Mary Ever-Virgin... I don't agree with St. John Maximovitch's work "The Orthodox Veneration of Mary The Birthgiver of God". I also don't agree with the Orthodox view of the role of the Roman Pontiff either. Clearly if I did I would already be Orthodox by now.

With all this said I continue on my journey of faith. I don't know wear I will eventual end but I know that I seek after righteousness and if such a pursuit is achievable through a particular Tradition or another I am willing to sit down and discuss it. I have a life in the Roman Catholic Church, I can't say that is is prefect or that it is them most nourishing life I can have for myself and my family but it is what it is. If can learn to pursue the virtues with greater clarity and be a better Christian, Spouse and Father then I will count my efforts as very fruitful indeed.

I am largely of a Western Mindset and a bit of a literalist when it comes to the Sacred Texts but I am also open to the possibilities that the Greek Fathers have a valuable role to play in the growth of the Latin Church in our day.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2010, 06:22:22 PM »

Did you mean Lynchburg, VA? I need to get to that mission myself (I'm only an hour west of Lynchburg). Someone from my church visited there and loved it. I heard that Fr. Alban was a very well-known Anglican bishop before he led his flock to Orthodoxy.

From what I know (because a bishop of the Anglican Communion swimming either the Tiber or the Bosporus is news amoungst us) the then Bishop Robert Weggener was not "Anglican" as in part of the Anglican Communion.  He was a member of a "continuing" group.

Ebor
Distinction without a difference for us.

Well, one might hope it would make a difference to know that they are not in the same Church as that which as been a target recently.  Smiley

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
DaveInCSA

Faith: Anglican with Orthodox leanings
Jurisdiction: Dixie

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2010, 12:17:22 PM »

I thought I should post a follow up on what has happened.

We officially left our Non-Denominational church and are going to be joining an Anglican Church. My wife was not interested at all in becoming Orthodox. So at least I'm closer than I was before.
theotokos

Faith: former muslim want to be an orthodox

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2010, 02:15:14 PM »

Nobody can force you to convert. It's against the human rights. Wink

ἡ ἀγάπη ἀνυπόκριτος. ἀποστυγοῦντες τὸ πονηρόν, κολλώμενοι τῶ ἀγαθῶ·
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »

We officially left our Non-Denominational church and are going to be joining an Anglican Church. My wife was not interested at all in becoming Orthodox. So at least I'm closer than I was before.

Welcome! So are you still hoping your wife will eventually show more interest in becoming Orthodox?
DaveInCSA

Faith: Anglican with Orthodox leanings
Jurisdiction: Dixie

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:56 PM »

Welcome! So are you still hoping your wife will eventually show more interest in becoming Orthodox?

I don't think so. We really like the Priest and the Anglican Church we found.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2010, 01:56:58 AM »

small steps, my friend... Wink Cheesy
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2010, 02:26:30 AM »

I don't think so. We really like the Priest and the Anglican Church we found.

Good to hear things are working out well! Smiley

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: