Author Topic: Help - shortening and gelatin  (Read 1763 times)

Offline erracht

• Elder
  • OC.net
Help - shortening and gelatin
« on: December 31, 2003, 01:33:37 PM »
I normally eat out or eat packaged stuff. On fasting days in Toronto, I figured out a modus vivendi (lots of fries, salads, spaghetti, vegetarian sandwiches, and when I have money, an appropriate version of teriyaki). Now in the Czech Republic, I'm finding it difficult to keep the fast, because these people eat even more non-fasting food than back home, from what I see. They don't seem to eat as much ethnic food, and the local cuisine, which can be fabulous btw, is full of meat and fatty, creamy things. I can hardly even get a good salad without a dressing that has milk or something. Pasta that is cheap is hard to find and rarely the tomato sauce version that one can eat.

Ranting aside, I will say that I've managed to survive on packaged soup with noodles etc. They don't have the wide assortment of canned soup one can find in North America - all soups are like in cubes or packets. But I found several "vegetable soups". But the other day, I found that several "fasting" things like this which I've been eating contain "rosstilny tuk" (sp?) - shortening. I noticed that in German, this is "beckfett" - which suggests I may have been eating fat!!! Is shortening made of animal or vegetable fat, that is my big question.

Also, the gelatin used in candy and marshmallows. Is it vegetable or animal gelatin?
NULL

Offline Father Peter

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
Re:Help - shortening and gelatin
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 02:01:20 PM »
It sounds to me like you are making a serious effort to keep the fast. Even the Irish monastic rules, among the most strict in the Orthodox world, allowed that meat flesh should be eaten if no other food were available at all, since the goal of fasting is not death by starvation. Not that I'm suggesting you eat steak during the fast. But if every moment of the day is spent hunting in Czech supermarkets for something that you can guarantee without fail has not even seen an animal then that would be as bad or worse, surely, than some small quantity of gelatin.

I am not suggesting abrogating the fast, and I am sure people here have recipes and ideas to help, but you seem committed to the fast, much more than this sinner, and I am sure God will bless you for that whatever extra ingredients may have slipped into your dish.

Otherwise if you accidentally swallow a midge that would mean you had failed to keep the fast. It shouldn't be that legalistic. As strict as your spiritual father considers necessary but never legalistic.

However little we eat there are always unbelievers forced to eat less by their circumstances.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline erracht

• Elder
  • OC.net
Re:Help - shortening and gelatin
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 07:58:13 AM »
The big hairy llama thanks you guys and wishes everyone a happy New Year.

Yep, Vicki, I am in Prague until early summer, teaching English. This is a very nice country to visit. I think the Jewish quarter is near Staromestska metro station and I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.
NULL