OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:04:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Satan's Open Letter to Pat Robertson  (Read 13376 times) Average Rating: 0
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« on: January 17, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »

Reprinted from The Daily Intel, which in turn reprinted a letter to the editor at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune fro Lily Coyle.
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/01/satans_open_letter_to_pat_robe.html

A Minneapolis Star-Tribune reader named Lily Coyle drafted the perfect answer to Pat Robertson's Haiti hate-speech earlier this week.
------------------------------------------

Dear Pat Robertson,

I know that you know that all press is good press, so I appreciate the shout-out. And you make God look like a big mean bully who kicks people when they are down, so I'm all over that action. But when you say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher. The way you put it, making a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished.

Sure, in the afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame, glory, a golden fiddle. Those Haitians have nothing, and I mean nothing. And that was before the earthquake. Haven't you seen "Crossroads"? Or "Damn Yankees"? If I had a thing going with Haiti, there'd be lots of banks, skyscrapers, SUVs, exclusive night clubs, Botox -- that kind of thing. An 80 percent poverty rate is so not my style. Nothing against it -- I'm just saying: Not how I roll.

You're doing great work, Pat, and I don't want to clip your wings -- just, come on, you're making me look bad. And not the good kind of bad. Keep blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we may need to renegotiate your own contract.

Best,
Satan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »

Haha, too perfect.  Cheesy
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »

Fantastic! Wink

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 06:00:25 PM »

Ironically, I find that letter funny. laugh
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 06:11:26 PM »

That would sooo be post of the Month if it was a post.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:16:09 PM »

Reprinted from The Daily Intel, which in turn reprinted a letter to the editor at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune fro Lily Coyle.

A Minneapolis Star-Tribune reader named Lily Coyle drafted the perfect answer to Pat Robertson's Haiti hate-speech earlier this week.

Dear Pat Robertson,

I know that you know that all press is good press, so I appreciate the shout-out. And you make God look like a big mean bully who kicks people when they are down, so I'm all over that action. But when you say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher. The way you put it, making a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished.

Sure, in the afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame, glory, a golden fiddle. Those Haitians have nothing, and I mean nothing. And that was before the earthquake. Haven't you seen "Crossroads"? Or "Damn Yankees"? If I had a thing going with Haiti, there'd be lots of banks, skyscrapers, SUVs, exclusive night clubs, Botox -- that kind of thing. An 80 percent poverty rate is so not my style. Nothing against it -- I'm just saying: Not how I roll.

You're doing great work, Pat, and I don't want to clip your wings -- just, come on, you're making me look bad. And not the good kind of bad. Keep blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we may need to renegotiate your own contract.

Best,
Satan

Don't forget that satan is a liar. I don't believe a word he says.

BTW, I wonder if "satan" has given as much financial aid to Haiti as Pat Robertson has.

I am no defender of Pat Robertson, but isn't it a bit tired and cliche to keep mocking this guy? I mean, a little originality please. But then again, when has the herd ever been original?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:18:59 PM »

but isn't it a bit tired and cliche to keep mocking this guy?

No. Tired and cliche would be mocking Bush. This guy is still fair game.  Kiss

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 11:21:44 PM »

Satan promised Haiti independence from the French. Napoleon lost more soldiers in Haiti than Waterloo and Haiti became the first Republic founded by slaves in one of the biggest revolutions ever. Years later...the "payment" for the bargain. Sounds like the deal was kept  Wink

BTW, I just read in Wikipedia that the guy who killed the black pig made people drink its blood and dedicated Haiti to satan (Dutty Boukman) was actually made into an Ioa (pagan god) by the Voodoo witchdoctors and that he's a national hero of Haiti.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:27:30 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Eugenio
Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 11:25:37 PM »

Rafa999, do you really believe that?

You don't believe that an entire island of slaves, all fighting for their lives, could not have defeated the French?

I mean, we're talking about France here. Not a country with the most stellar military record, as I recall...

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 11:28:24 PM »

Napoleon...they beat Bonie with sticks, must have been satan helping for such amazing success. More soldiers lost in Haiti than in Waterloo. Haiti was the richest country in the Caribbean before the revolution (the black pearl) now its the poorest country in the hemisphere.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:29:36 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Eugenio
Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »

I think the Duvalier family's dictatorship in the 20th century has more to do with Haiti's poverty than most any other factor.

Attributing it to a revolution that took place 200 years ago is historical guesswork, to put it politely.

After all, the Vietnamese defeated the French at Dien Bien Phu, and their economy seems to be humming along just fine at present.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »

It's interesting, because when certain individuals are repeatedly mocked and disparaged by certain segments of society, I begin to suspect that these individuals might just have some validity to them. For example, I could care less about what Pat Robertson, George Bush, or Sarah Palin have to say. But when I see these people routinely attacked by the mainstream media with ad hominem attacks and straw man arguments, then I begin to think that these people might actually have something of value to say. These people are irrelevant until the media (and some people on this forum) makes them relevant.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 12:59:14 AM »

It's interesting, because when certain individuals are repeatedly mocked and disparaged by certain segments of society, I begin to suspect that these individuals might just have some validity to them. For example, I could care less about what Pat Robertson, George Bush, or Sarah Palin have to say. But when I see these people routinely attacked by the mainstream media with ad hominem attacks and straw man arguments, then I begin to think that these people might actually have something of value to say. These people are irrelevant until the media (and some people on this forum) makes them relevant.

Selam
Then again, some people are mocked for just being high profile idiots. Tongue
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 01:13:10 AM »

Dear Pat Robertson,

Best,
Satan

BTW, I wonder if "satan" has given as much financial aid to Haiti as Pat Robertson has.

I am no defender of Pat Robertson, but isn't it a bit tired and cliche to keep mocking this guy? I mean, a little originality please. But then again, when has the herd ever been original?

Selam
By making public statements he opens himself up to reaction, good or bad.

Proverbs 22:7
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 02:01:42 AM »

Dear Pat Robertson,

Best,
Satan

Selam
By making public statements he opens himself up to reaction, good or bad.
Kinda like the adage that an open mouth gathers feet? Cheesy
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 02:36:22 AM »

Let me see if I understand what all y'all are talking about;  A woman pretends to be Satan so that she can mock someone else ... and we're gonna laugh and join in?  Worst Dumbest thread ever.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 04:06:45 AM »

Let me see if I understand what all y'all are talking about;  A woman pretends to be Satan so that she can mock someone else ... and we're gonna laugh and join in?  Worst Dumbest thread ever.

Yeah. Interesting that a woman posing as satan is applauded, while a professing Christian is mocked. As erroneous as Pat Robertson's views may be, I'll side with those who profess Christ over those who pose as satan any day. They can mock me if they want to (and they do).

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 04:30:31 AM »

and we're gonna laugh and join in?

Yes. And besides being funny, there was more truth in the joke than in Pat's original comments.  Kiss

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 10:40:47 AM »

Pastor Pat Robertson, God Bless Him ! is correct ,,,Holy Scripture Backs Him up...
It's strange To read ,that some orthodox Christians here ,would condemn Pat Robertson in what he said....

I Guess Being Politically Correct, is more Important than Holy Scripture....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »

Wow....you guys just don't get it.

There is symbolism to what this writer has to say.  Think about all the riches in the world and how the wealthy of the world is considered by generations of Christianity the hardest to have spirituality.  Think about the rich televangelists posing as Christians, when in fact, they destroy the Christian faith in the eyes of the world.

Yes, Rev. Pat does indeed have his own contract with the devil, and he masquerades as if the poorest of the world doesn't, and therefore gets "God's punishment" with the earthquake.

He did the same thing when 9/11 happened and said it's because people were forgetting God.  I'm sure the Coptic priest's brother who died there and the many little children deserved it.

And the time when Ariel Sharon was about to actually negotiate giving away land to the Palestinians, and kicked out Israelis from the settlements, he happened to get a coma, and die months later, and here's Pat Robertson telling us God did it, because Israel belongs to "God's people" the Jews.

You call that man a Christian, the same man who curses at the Apostolic churches, thinking we are of the devil's church?  I have more respect for a Satanist than this hypocrite; at least Satanists do preach what they believe in.

The whole idea of the article is not to make fun of the Rev., but to expose what many truths lie in that article.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:10:20 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »

This isn't the first time Mr. Robertson has threatened or attributed God's judgment when it was convenient for his beliefs.  These came from About.com

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected him from your city. And don't wonder why he hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for his help because he might not be there." --Pat Robertson, after the city of Dover, Pennsylvania voted to boot the current school board, which instituted an intelligent design policy that led to a federal trial

"God considers this land to be his. You read the Bible and he says 'This is my land,' and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, 'No, this is mine.' ... He was dividing God's land. And I would say, 'Woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the E.U., the United Nations, or the United States of America.' God says, 'This land belongs to me. You better leave it alone.'" --Pat Robertson, on why Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon suffered a massive stroke

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 11:35:37 AM »

I don't know, maybe they're right and we're being too hard on Pat. After all, how would we have found out that getting plastic surgery gives people oriental eyes if not for Pat? That's not the type of information that the mainstream media is going to give you!

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »

Yeah. Interesting that a woman posing as satan is applauded, while a professing Christian is mocked. As erroneous as Pat Robertson's views may be, I'll side with those who profess Christ over those who pose as satan any day. They can mock me if they want to (and they do).

Selam

Do you have a problem with CS Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters"?  That book is the exact same thing that this woman is doing, with a little more Jonathan Swift-esque parody thrown in.

You do realize that people hate Christianity because of people like Pat Robertson and his self-aggrandizing, self-righteous proclamations about the will of God?  If you want to equate someone (who, I might add, believes in outright heresy on a number of issues) with Jeremias, I can't stop you, but you open yourself up to the same condemnation and ridicule he receives. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
AlexanderOfBergamo
High Elder

Faith: Traditionalist Christian
Jurisdiction: The Original First Millennium Church

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 01:24:45 PM »

Satan's sense of humour is astonishing XD Though as fictional as it might look, "satan't letter" isn't at all an impossibility: I can easily imagine him defending his "honour" and distancing from the situation to show how... well... "good" he might be LOL
BTW,
Napoleon...they beat Bonie with sticks, must have been satan helping for such amazing success. More soldiers lost in Haiti than in Waterloo. Haiti was the richest country in the Caribbean before the revolution (the black pearl) now its the poorest country in the hemisphere.
Don't be so sure of where satan is or not. The great power of Spain, for example, was held in check by the Amerinds, and the Italian army had terrible difficulties in establishing her colonies in Libia, Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea and Albania. Often, the fource of seemingly more primitive people (from a military POV, not from a cultural or scientifical POV) could be stronger. Another example is the Vietcong resistance against USA during the Vietnam War.
DON'T SEE SATAN WHERE HE ISN'T.

"Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic" (St. Vincent of Lérins, "The Commonitory")
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 04:38:32 PM »

Selam

Do you have a problem with CS Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters"?  That book is the exact same thing that this woman is doing, with a little more Jonathan Swift-esque parody thrown in.

You do realize that people hate Christianity because of people like Pat Robertson and his self-aggrandizing, self-righteous proclamations about the will of God?  If you want to equate someone (who, I might add, believes in outright heresy on a number of issues) with Jeremias, I can't stop you, but you open yourself up to the same condemnation and ridicule he receives. 

Well, again, people extrapolate more from my statements than what I wrote. I do not defend Pat Robertson. All I'm asking is for those who sit back with their mocking attitude toward this man to give as much financial aid to Haiti as he has.

And BTW, this poor person posing as satan is no C.S. Lewis. "The Screwtape Letters" was a brilliant piece of philosophical literature (IMHO), not a sarcastic attack on a single misguided individual.

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 04:50:16 PM »

All I'm asking is for those who sit back with their mocking attitude toward this man to give as much financial aid to Haiti as he has.

Roll Eyes Perhaps if people gave me diamond mines in Africa, like Pat has received, I would have more money to give. As it is, my modest contributions will have to do.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:50:46 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »

All I'm asking is for those who sit back with their mocking attitude toward this man to give as much financial aid to Haiti as he has.

Roll Eyes Perhaps if people gave me diamond mines in Africa, like Pat has received, I would have more money to give. As it is, my modest contributions will have to do.

Well give what you can give, and don't mock others who are giving more.

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »

Well, the amount of money a public personality gives to charity doesn't really play too much into whether I am willing to call them on bullcrap they say or do. Bill Gates has almost certainly given more to charity than all the people on this forum combined, but should that shield him from criticism?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »

Well, the amount of money a public personality gives to charity doesn't really play too much into whether I am willing to call them on bullcrap they say or do. Bill Gates has almost certainly given more to charity than all the people on this forum combined, but should that shield him from criticism?

Mocking is not criticism. I criticize Pat Robertson, but I don't mock him. And I personally think that intelligent criticism is much more productive than sarcastic mocking. (But, then again, I myself am guilty of mocking others at times. So I have to check myself as well.)

Selam

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »

I really can't for the life of me understand how in the world any Orthodox Christian could enter this thread sympathetic to Robertson and/or indignant at the warranted support of Lilly Coyle’s masterpiece of a letter.

Mockery IS a valid form of criticism inasmuch as it suggests that the situation/argument/whatever being responded to is not even worthy of serious criticism on account of its inherently ridiculous nature. And so, after the consistent disobedience of the Israelites despite the numerous wonders and miracles wrought on their behalf, Isaiah the Prophet mocked his own people saying, "The ox knows his owner, and the ass his master's crib: but Israel does not understand, my people do not consider". The Prophets had reasoned with the Israelites for generations and generations; by the time of Isaiah the Prophet, they had witnessed their deliverance from a mighty nation, the red sea parting, their enemies being drowned whilst on their horses and chariots, food falling from the heavens etc. and yet they continued to disbelieve and disobey--mockery was surely called for. And it is called for here, especially given the consistent history of Mr Robertson coming out and making such pseudo-prophetic proclamations regarding the operation of God's will in a way that has the potential to turn many away from God.

Some have thought it noteworthy that Mr Robertson is one who professes Christ. Well, sorry, he does not profess my Christ. Not the Christ of the Church. Not in any way that is any closer to my Christ than the Christ of Arius, or the Christ of Muhammed the Prophet of Islam.

Lilly Coyle's letter is not only skilfully hilarious, but—and people seem to be missing this—it helps re-align proper sympathies to the Christian cause inasmuch as it presents, through humour, a proper image of the Christian God. This it does when it suggests that the picture of God presented by Mr Robertson—a "big mean bully who kicks people when they are down"—is in fact a satanic distortion and hence one the promotion of which, by people like Robertson, satan rejoices in. It also tactfully exposes the fallacy of the prosperity doctrine underlying Robertson’s idiotic logic.

Lilly Coyle only "poses" as satan inasmuch as such a rhetorical device helps effectively convey legitimate criticism of Mr Robertson's barbarically insensitive sentiments to the wider masses.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:35:40 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 07:01:25 PM »

^^ Well said. Along with many others on this thread, I find Mr Robertson's representation of my God to be appalling. It should be mocked!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 02:42:44 PM »

Let me assure those that feel I support Mr. Robertson that they are mistaken, to say the least.  First, I never listen to anything he has to say.  He just doesn't register on my radar because he's just plain goofy.

And for the life of me, I cannot understand why Orthodox Christian's even care what Mr. Robertson says.  Not only is he Protestant, he's a fringe element Protestant that only gets attention when he says something bombastic.  For us to be appalled at him would be like us getting appalled at a dog for barking too loud, or at a bird for flying into a window.  We may as well start mocking crazy people for yelling at the clouds.

And I agree that mockery can be valid, but as I like to say, context is key.  I don't for a moment believe that Ms. Coyle can, or should, be compared to/with Patriarch Isaiah for he was expressing his frustration with a people he was one OF.  He was also expressing this frustration to God.  His frustration was genuine, but it also seems like a humorous moment shared between two people.  Ms. Coyle's loyalties are not discernable.  I cannot tell if she's an Orthodox Christian expressing frustration that Mr. Robertson return to true Christianity.  I can only assume that her letter was meant to humiliate him publicly.  This is something I doubt the prophet Isaiah was intending to do. 

One further observation.  I don't think we could even compare Ms. Coyle or her letter to anything C.S. Lewis wrote.  For one thing, like the prophet Isaiah, Mr. Lewis never intended to humiliate any one, privately or publicly.  His works were/are intended to introduce people to Christ, albeit from a somewhat distorted view.  One thing is clear though; Mr. Lewis loved the Lord and he loved people and it was his desire that all come to know the Lord.  Given the way Ms. Coyle went about her 'letter', I cannot say the same thing(s) about her.

I could be wrong.  But we know that ain't possible.  Kiss

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 04:21:15 AM »

In the late 80s/early 90s, as an impressionable teenager who thought anything Christian was good, I watched The 700 Club faithfully every day.  I thought Pat Robertson was a prophet with many good things to say.  It took a long time to realize that he was saying many things that were not true, or that were heavily slanted.  One major hint was when he predicted that Bush would win the 1992 election, and Clinton got elected instead.  If we don't call him out, how will the impressionable youth know that he's not preaching the truth?

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »

And for the life of me, I cannot understand why Orthodox Christian's even care what Mr. Robertson says. 

I've always wondered that the reason the Church fought so hard against heretics was the distortion of their so-called Christianity to others who think that this is Christianity, not just to those outside the Church, but those inside it as well.

We have to stand up against such comments so that it can be known to the world the real views of Christianity.  As EA mentioned, thanks to Lilly Coyle, she actually reminded the world the true picture of the Christian God, not Roberston's.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »

Why does Pat Robertson deserve such special treatment? Aren't all heterodox Christians people that profess Christ while rejecting the Church which He established? Therefore, all heterodox Christians embrace and promote erroneous and unOrthodox views. But somehow, Pat Robertson is singled out as uniquely guilty of that which all non-Orthodox Christians are guilty of. And yet Pat Robertson has used his TV network to defend our Orthodox Coptic brothers facing Islamic persecution:http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/coptic-priest-fearlessly-spreading-gods-word-cbncom/782543383

Like any heterodox person, Robertson says some ridiculous things and holds to very unOrthodox doctrines. But he is also on the right side of some vital moral issues; and he does some good things, such as raising awareness about Orthodox persecution in the Middle East.

So let's be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I imagine that if most of us on this forum were judged only by the worst and most misguided things we posted, then we could easily be written off as unworthy of listening to at all. But I think everyone on this forum has said something of value and has had something positive and enlightening to offer from time to time. We are all richer because of the knowldege, information, and opinions we add to this forum. Sure, there are some nutty thing said (and maybe I have said some nutty things myself); but just because a person is wrong about some things doesn't mean they are wrong when they tell the truth.

IMHO, Pat Robertson was sorely misguided in attributing the cause of the Haitian earthquake to a pact they made with the devil. I find that absurd and insulting. But Pat Robertson was absolutely correct in sending financial aid to the people of Haiti and urging a "great return to God."

BTW, I think Gabriel's post (#31) was spot on.

Selam

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:04:54 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »

It's threads like this that make me question why I post here.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 03:00:51 AM »

Sure, when it comes to Islam, it's one of those "my enemy's enemy is my friend" philosophies.  But when given the chance, Robertson's followers do take away Coptic people from the Church.  I won't be surprised to find the day when a huge Coptic massacre would get his attention, where he will blame this on our "paganistic canabalistic Mary-worshippings rituals."

Ya, the video talks about Fr. Zakaria, and how much of a good example he is, not necessarily Copts suffering.  The biggest accomplishments Robertson brings to us Copts is not a recognition of Christian suffering, but proselytism.

So yes, he is to be singled out, because his teachings affects our Church badly, even lead one to stand up in the middle of HH's Wednesday lectures in a rude manner denouncing our Orthodox ways.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:04:27 AM by minasoliman » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2010, 03:28:30 AM »

Sure, when it comes to Islam, it's one of those "my enemy's enemy is my friend" philosophies.  But when given the chance, Robertson's followers do take away Coptic people from the Church.  I won't be surprised to find the day when a huge Coptic massacre would get his attention, where he will blame this on our "paganistic canabalistic Mary-worshippings rituals."

Ya, the video talks about Fr. Zakaria, and how much of a good example he is, not necessarily Copts suffering.  The biggest accomplishments Robertson brings to us Copts is not a recognition of Christian suffering, but proselytism.

So yes, he is to be singled out, because his teachings affects our Church badly, even lead one to stand up in the middle of HH's Wednesday lectures in a rude manner denouncing our Orthodox ways.

You know, I can see where y'all have a good point when it comes to separating Orthodox from him for the benefit of outsiders;  I guess I've just grown accustomed to his fruitiness and don't pay him any attention.  And I'll even give y'all the 'mockery is valid' charge.  But I respectfully disagree with EA with the prophet Isaiah comparison.  I get what he was getting at, but I don't believe the comparison is valid.  Sorry EA...  Undecided Smiley

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 03:56:34 AM »

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm not here to defend evangelicals prosyletizing the Orthodox.

Selam

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: