OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 11:17:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ostrov and The Silent Monk  (Read 893 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: January 16, 2010, 05:53:54 PM »

So, yesterday I watched Ostrov for the first time. My cursory research indicates that the story presented in this film is fictitious though it supposedly serves as a reliable portrayal of the holy fool phenomenon in Eastern Orthodox spirituality. What really struck me was the sense of familiarity, I, as a Coptic Orthodox Christian, felt towards this particular portrayal given my own acquaintanceship with that same phenomenon as it presents itself in the Oriental Orthodox Tradition. Though the film presents a monk of a completely different world (for me, that is), and a spiritual tradition (Russian Orthodoxy) that I have negligible experience with, I felt right at home watching this. I felt as though I was watching the life of a contemporary 'holy fool' Saint of the Coptic Church who is very dear to my heart, Abouna Youstos El-Antony. Some of the specific parallels observed:

1.   They have a consistent self-awareness of being great sinners, yet never in the pseudo-humble sense of, for example, openly beating against their chest before all. On the contrary, most of their public displays are such as to lead others to actually believe that they are authentically sinful.
2.   They commit mistakes/sins which, though of very different kinds, seem easily excusable. Nevertheless, neither seeks to justify their self; both immediately accept culpability and hope in the Mercy of God till their very last breath.
3.    They have a strange, somewhat improvised way of expressing their spirituality. Singing praises to God at random, somewhat awkwardly. They express a seemingly out-of-character penitential demeanour only ever in solitude.
4.    They go out of their way, sometimes to absurd extents, to protect themselves from an imagery of sainthood; yet they maintain their calling to be vehicles of God’s Grace, healing and otherwise, to those who seek their help.
5.   They are both so in tune with the Divine that they act out of an apparent sense of self-authority. Those around them who initially question such as displays of arrogance or impropriety at first slowly come to recognise this and in turn follow their lead.
6.   Both begin in very, very different ways, but generally similarly come across as feeble and fickle men, only to mature to become men of great wisdom and stability.
7.   Both made me laugh at least three times (I won’t say how many times they made me cry, because, umm, men don’t cry, OKAY?)!

For those who are interested in watching the movie made on the life of Abouna Youstos El-Antony (entitled ‘The Silent Monk’), it has been made freely available on the internet, with subtitles—see links below. The movie begins with his birth, and follows all the way through till his departure.
Part 1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7292860459903278275#
Part 2: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6368809692293825295#

I would be very interested to hear feedback on my above sentiments from both EO and OO who have/have- had the opportunity to view both Ostrov and The Silent Monk.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:55:21 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:02:24 AM »

I think you are right in your thoughts. The two have many similarities and I think that the holy Abouna Youstos would be considered a Fool for Christ's sake. Fools for Christ are misunderstood by many people who do not understand and some people will dismiss them as crazy (which was actually their goal). Think about all the times Abouna Youstos asked people what time it was. Many just looked at their watch and gave him the time but he would ask again and confuse the people since at that moment they would not understand the deeper spiritual meaning to it. When people judge them though, God will show them the truth for instance when the girl who made fun of Abouna Youstos saw him surrounded in light during the service and that brought her to repentance. It is similar in some ways to the exchanges between the fictitious Fr. Anatoly and Fr. Job in Ostrov where Fr. Job would show distain for Fr. Anatoly but when it was time for Fr. Anatoly's death, Fr. Job realized his sin and repented for judging Fr. Anatoly.

I love both of the films and I do see that the two are similar in many ways and represent the Holy Fool for Christ.
Tags: Monasticism asceticism saints Ostrov 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: