OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:36:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Support Orthodox or Protestant charities or both.  (Read 2761 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox Swamp Thing

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - San Francisco & The West

« on: January 16, 2010, 05:50:54 PM »

I used to be Protestant and I have recently converted over to Orthodoxy (Smartest move I EVER made) and I am wondering. I do support some Protestant charities such as Gospel for Asia and their adopt a child program. I also support the IOCC when I am able. I am thinking about pulling my support from the Protestant charities and putting it towards the IOCC. Wanted your guys thoughts or opinions.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:55:52 PM by Orthodox Swamp Thing » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:54:31 PM »

Support the efforts of the true Church.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »

I used to be Protestant and I have recently converted over to Orthodoxy (Smartest move I EVER made) and I am wondering. I do support some Protestant charities such as Gospel for Asia and their adopt a child program. I also support the IOCC when I am able. I am thinking about pulling my support from the Protestant charities and putting it towards the IOCC. Wanted your guys thoughts or opinions.

If you have "adopted" a child, I'd stick with them.  Otherwise, yes transfer it to IOCC.

In general, unless it is specifically geared only to preaching, or tied intrinsically to it, support of Protestant charities for humaritarian aid is fine.  But then, when I became Orthodox, we didn't have IOCC.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »

It kinda bothers me supporting Prot charities being Orthodox..... I know the IOCC also has adopt a child program if I remember correctly....
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 06:35:33 PM »

Support humanity, regardless if the charity is Protestant, Roman Catholic, Orthodox, or secular.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:32:43 PM »

Support humanity, regardless if the charity is Protestant, Roman Catholic, Orthodox, or secular.
I would tend to agree, except that I know from experience that many Protestant charities tie preaching in with their charitable work. I would rather not support the preaching of Protestant Christianity. But yes, if someone is doing charitable work without any preaching, then it doesn't matter who that person is or what they believe--support them. Then you can support Orthodox missionaries for the spiritual needs of people around the world. Our missions work is certainly lacking in both personnel and funding. Anything you can give will help.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »

I would caution about donating via non-Orthodox charities.  Many Protestants use charity as a tool for conversion.  You would be amazed how happily people will join the Baptist church because they gave them a meal and a free Bible.

I would stick with known Orthodox charities - either the IOCC, your own consistory (jurisdictional) charities, or from your own church.

I certainly would not want my effort to follow Christ's instructions to cloth and feed the needy, to be an instrument that will in fact pull them away from the True Church and Him.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »

except that I know from experience that many Protestant charities tie preaching in with their charitable work.
You have to love when strings are attached like that.  That is why I just like to stick with Medecins Sans Frontieres.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 04:55:49 PM »

except that I know from experience that many Protestant charities tie preaching in with their charitable work.
You have to love when strings are attached like that.  That is why I just like to stick with Medecins Sans Frontieres.
That's a great charity. It's great to see highly qualified doctors who could be making a lot of money use their talents to benefit people who can't pay.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »

That's a great charity. It's great to see highly qualified doctors who could be making a lot of money use their talents to benefit people who can't pay.
Definitely.  I really would like to see Ecoles Sans Frontieres expand as much as MSF did too. 

Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 08:28:49 PM »

I cannot with a clear conscience support non Orthodox ministries that tie preaching in with their humanitarian aid. I am going to be supporting the IOCC and the OCMC. I just can't with a clear conscience continue to support non Orthodox charities... Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 01:34:26 AM »

I would caution about donating via non-Orthodox charities.  Many Protestants use charity as a tool for conversion.  You would be amazed how happily people will join the Baptist church because they gave them a meal and a free Bible.

This kind of tactic is being used against Orthodox Christians in the United States. As governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin supported it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB5qeZkSkKQ

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
maximos333

Jurisdiction: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 07:45:46 AM »

Why put money into the hands of the heretics? Money is power. Remember,,,Jesus told his disciples to feed my sheep. He was speaking of teaching them the food of inner growth, prayer, deification. He was not speaking of opening up food kitchens. Food kitchens and all the protestant innovations are just that,,,gimmicks because they have no knowledge of the True Faith.

This user no longer posts on this forum.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:20:12 AM »

I used to be Protestant and I have recently converted over to Orthodoxy (Smartest move I EVER made) and I am wondering. I do support some Protestant charities such as Gospel for Asia and their adopt a child program.

I saw you already said you would be supporting IOCC and OCMC. If you are particularly interested in supporting orphans in North America, then consider donating to St. Innocent Orphanage: http://projectmexico.org/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:20:37 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 01:42:04 PM »

I think supporting reputable secular charities alongside Orthodox charities can help account for a comprehensive approach as one sees fit. For ex. the Red Cross can easily be supported on a local, national, & worldwide basis. On a local basis, I still support a food pantry that is run by the Methodist/Presbyterian church I attended in my youth. I would also like to include FOCUS N.A. as a good Orthodox charity www.focusnorthamerica.org/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:42:49 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »

Why put money into the hands of the heretics? Money is power. Remember,,,Jesus told his disciples to feed my sheep. He was speaking of teaching them the food of inner growth, prayer, deification. He was not speaking of opening up food kitchens. Food kitchens and all the protestant innovations are just that,,,gimmicks because they have no knowledge of the True Faith.
Our Lord also said, "Woe to you, for I was hungry and you did not feed Me; I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink; I was naked and you did not clothe Me." Seems He cares about the physical needs of His sheep as much as their spiritual needs.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 05:29:09 PM »

While this has a Walton mountain 'feel good' ring to it, everyone has an agenda.  Can't support 'em all.  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 07:40:04 PM »

While this has a Walton mountain 'feel good' ring to it, everyone has an agenda.  Can't support 'em all.  Wink

Then go secular Wink

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »

I don't support either.
Non-issue.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 08:25:52 PM »

"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead."

James 2:15-17

If you've ever been starving and penniless and all alone in the world, I highly doubt you'd call food kitchens "gimmicks"...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 01:20:46 AM »

If I had the money to give, I'd only be giving it to Orthodox organizations.  I also do not typically give money if I attend a non-Orthodox service (unless it is my former home that was my spiritual home for well over 10 years...)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:22:11 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: