OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:46:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best website ever!  (Read 9797 times) Average Rating: 0
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2003, 01:48:05 PM »

oh dearie dearie me :cwm14: :cwm14:

Now someone [ whom shall be nameless ] has created another Gaffe[/b]

How on earth can we teach the child when his elders and betters slip up ? let's be charitable and say it was whilst under the influence of L.......

Nektarios...that should have been As DOES Emperor Dustinian...moral..never post in haste.  Grin

Ah now Vicki  - I think you should look at the extract that I quoted and  look for the word that was emphasised and then find the original  Grin Grin Grin

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2003, 07:35:05 PM »

How many aristocrats do you get appearing on US television!! We don't get many appearing on TV over here. I'm from working class roots but try to speak and write clearly and properly, that's all. In the tradition of 19th century self-education there is no need for any person from any background to speak or write incoherently. Many working men taught themselves Greek, Latin, even Hebrew.

I guess I'm just not a fan of prescribed grammar. I'm a relativist when it comes to language. I speak clearly with a rich vocabulary, but because of my okie accent, and because y'alls' English ain't got no second person plural, I am up against odds that somebody from California, or from London, isn't up against. BTW, Peter, re: your accent, I won't believe you have the standard British accent until I hear it. You'll have to post a wav file. I've known too many Okies who think they talk like Walter Kronkite. Grin

Oh, yeah, Re: aristocratic English...when an actor comes from Britain, or when an American actor uses a British accent, they don't speak Cockney!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 07:38:29 PM by The Caffeinator » Logged
Vicki

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2003, 12:36:54 AM »

Ah...ooops!

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2003, 12:28:31 PM »

BTW, Peter, re: your accent, I won't believe you have the standard British accent until I hear it. You'll have to post a wav file. I've known too many Okies who think they talk like Walter Kronkite. Grin

If you really want to hear my voice I have a draft version of a lecture at http://www.britishorthodox.org/lec_1b.rm

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2003, 12:48:18 PM »

Wow - you might be starting a trend here Cheesy

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2003, 10:35:53 PM »

I gaffed! There is no standard British accent! Anyway, it was an interesting lecture, what little I heard, but I suspect that you would be up against what I am with my accent.

That's not to discourage anybody with an accent.

There was a study by a linguist in NYC. He (or was it she? I don't recall) went into the three major department stores in NYC and brought with him a hidden tape recorder. Now, I'm not terribly familiar with the accent, so bear with me, but I believe what he did was he asked clerks where something that he knew to be on the fourth floor was. He recorded them, and the ones with the New York accent left out the r's in "fourth floor."

He discovered that the most r's were pronounced at Sacs [sp?] 5th ave.

The second greatest amount were at Macy's.

THe least amount of r's were pronounced at Bargain Canyon, or whatever it was.

So what does this mean? Everybody has an accent, and for some of us, it holds us back.

Anyway, you should come to the States, Peter...they love British accents over here. Grin
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 10:38:05 PM by The Caffeinator » Logged
Vicki

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2003, 12:07:36 AM »

Nobody believes I am from Boston. I do not have that accent. (DOXA SOI, O THEOS!). What I DO have is an eeevvviilll facility in accent mimicry....which sometimes slips unintentionally to make my speech copy that of the person I am speaking with....most times, they do not realize this. (Note: this can be fun at Greek Festivals when "playing" with exceedingly "G" Greeks....) Wink Before ANYONE gets on my case, I ALWAYS go to confession right after Greek Festivals, anyway Wink

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2003, 04:47:07 AM »

Got any Scots bloood in you Vicki ??

The Scots can do this too .

I've lived in enough parts of the UK with fairly pronounced regional/local accents and dialects to give people who insist that they can tell where you are from after listening for 2 secs. a really hard time. I always win Grin

The only time I have never joined in this was when as a teacher of young kids [ 5- 11s] , I was told that I had to teach Burns poetry in  Scots - now that was just not possible for me - I could not do it - and my explanation was unacceptable Sad

- St. John Maximovitch
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2003, 08:28:36 AM »

Got any Scots bloood in you Vicki ??

The Scots can do this too .

So that's where I get it from Grin
Vicki

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2003, 08:42:51 AM »

It's really terrible to find myself standing in front of, say, the AHEPA president and doing it :saint: without intending to, of course...OR at the chanters stand KNOWING he will soon be chanting (in English, which he is NOT a native speaker of) the words "and all of Your people" (Only the come out...and all Your peeps" (Anyone getting visual on stale yellow Marshmallow Easter Candy will understand this sort of thing is just fatal.....)

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2003, 09:11:34 AM »

Ahh, I'm reminded of one of Father Averky's posts on Mo' Nachos regarding the bishop doing his best to speak in English. Something along the lines of ending the service with "Piss on you all" Shocked Grin

John.
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2003, 09:15:32 AM »

Oh Vicki

I really have to admit that that sort of thing is incredibly infectious !

But it's tremendous fun for those taking part 'co they realise afterwards what they have done - and end up covered with confusion.

Prodromos - don't you dare !! [ referring to Peter's Webcam here Grin ]

- St. John Maximovitch
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2003, 09:17:11 AM »

Prodromos

Off topic BUT - have you seen the recent posts about Fr A's Health -- not good

- St. John Maximovitch
Vicki

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2003, 09:29:50 AM »

Ahh, I'm reminded of one of Father Averky's posts on Mo' Nachos regarding the bishop doing his best to speak in English. Something along the lines of ending the service with "Piss on you all" Shocked Grin

John.

Metropolitan Silas! Pees on you!!! ROTFLMAO!!! Yup, that was him!!! (Peace be with you, for anyone else) Yup, we'll miss good old Met. Si around here....he added unintentional color to things!

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2003, 09:33:32 AM »

Prodromos

Off topic BUT - have you seen the recent posts about Fr A's Health -- not good
That all depends on your viewpoint. When he does fall asleep it will be a huge loss to the monachos.net community, but it will be his passing into glory. Funerals at monasteries are always joyous occasions, tinged with a little bit of sorrow.

John.
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2003, 11:06:13 AM »

I'm no Henry Higgins but at least I can tell North of England from Southern and even suss from their voices that Ant and Dec from the TV are Geordies. I can also hear basic London (the now ubiquitous Estuary voice, innit?), Mancunian and of course Liverpudlian. And of course 99% of the time I can tell an Australian accent from one of the English ones - New Zealand sounds just like it to me and 'Seth Effrican' (South African) is amazingly similar to these (they all were colonized around the same time), only with a stiff, slightly Germanic sound from Afrikaans mixed in.

I think most Americans are only aware of two English accents, posh and stage-Cockney - the only ones heard in American movies and TV - and maybe three, with Liverpudlian if they're big Beatles fans from that period.

Tangential thought: if Loyd Grossman, OBE is so successful, and he is (but how on earth has he lasted in broadcasting talking the way he does?), why doesn't he pay the money and hire Gwyneth Paltrow's or Meryl Streep's accent coach for elocution lessons and learn how to do a decent English accent (or any English accent) instead of that self-invented one he uses? ('Soooooo, let's look at the evidence...  the dawdgy accent... ') Either that or just drop it and use his original American voice, which shows up in every other sentence anyway. Then again, trying to improve NHS food was genuinely nice - maybe for that he earns the right to talk however he likes along with the Queen's honours. (Are his sauces any good? Haven't been to Tesco's in over a decade.)

Back to accents and TV - in the States one only hears about six American accents: neutral newsreader-speak (a flat Midwestern or Californian accent, considered posh in a way); Valley Girl talk, which in 20 years has gone from a joke to the way white Generation Y really talks; surfer-dude-speak, the male version of Valley Girl; Noo Yawk-speak for white tough-guy characters, even if they're from Milwaukee (Fonzie); Southern for comic white characters, even if they're supposed to be in Vermont; and black, a kind of Southern accent heard all over the country that's considered hip and widely imitated (Two Beer White Guy), rather like Estuary/Mockney in England (talk downmarket to sound cool).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 11:40:41 AM by Serge » Logged

Vicki

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2003, 11:23:11 AM »

Hey Serge: You left out Rhode Island. It's all its own. And some one please...If anyone on the board can tell me what a "cabinet" is...and where RI might have picked up this usage from, I'll be indebted. It is tres bizarre. I know what it is....five years in this benighted state have taught me that...but how in the name of Almighty God they got it, I do NOT know. I am banking on a British origin, myself, with sneaking suspicions, but HOW they twist it?Huh

Well...and, twenty-nine....nope, YOU can't play...PM me if you know the DERIVATION only....

Everyone else.... WHAT'S A CABINET in RI?Huh (heh, heh)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 11:24:01 AM by Vicki » Logged

The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2003, 11:28:10 AM »

Hey Serge: You left out Rhode Island.

Vicki, I don't doubt that a Rhode Island accent exists, though the only accents in that regional family I've heard are Massachusetts (even occasionally on the air thanks to the Kennedys) and Maine (in person). But do you regularly or ever hear Rhode Islanders talk on national TV? That was my point - you only hear a handful of accents there.

Vicki

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2003, 11:33:55 AM »

Ex-mayor  of Providence Buddy Cianci will be doing a radio show as soon as his prison term is up...

Vicki

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2003, 11:35:18 AM »

you heard his li-ers on TV a lot during the trial, too.  Uh, lawyers for non- RI folks.

Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2003, 03:51:44 PM »

Ex-mayor  of Providence Buddy Cianci will be doing a radio show as soon as his prison term is up...

Buddy in prison?  Wow! I have been out of touch with RI politics for a few years.  When I was last in RI, people were calling him the savior of the city of Providence.  I remember him on the TV and radio all the time when I was there.  He seemed like a local hero.   Sounds like he cut a few corners!

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Vicki

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2003, 03:57:42 PM »

They are still wearing "Free Buddy" T-Shirts...the "Prince of Providence" got caught, though!  Mind, they didn't MIND reelecting him AFTER he admitted tying his wife's lover to a chair and beating him over the head with a firplace log, and burning him w/ a lit cigarette...since he pled guilty no trial, so he wasn't a felon after that, so he could be reelected. Gotta love the City of Providence. They got what they deserved.

Vicki

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2003, 03:58:58 PM »

You don't get to answer either, if you know what a "cabinet" is in RI....LOL....only say how long it took you to figure it out!

TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2003, 04:03:08 PM »

BTW, it's "Rogue Island".
Vicki

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2003, 04:06:23 PM »

Yup, Tom...we agree....Right off the bat. NO argument.

Vicki

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2003, 04:07:16 PM »

It's the only state that's a "Family business"

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: