OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 03:38:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ecumenism (opinion on news)  (Read 41301 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #540 on: January 28, 2010, 12:43:43 AM »

I thought this things only happened in Mexico, lol

117 Russians in Hospital After Drinking Holy Water

January 25, 2009
Yahoo News

More than 100 Russian Orthodox believers have been hospitalized after drinking holy water during Epiphany celebrations in the eastern city of Irkutsk, an official said Monday.

A total of 117 people, including 48 children, were in the hospital complaining of acute intestinal pain after drinking water from wells in and around a local church last week, said Vladimir Salovarov, a spokesman for the Irkutsk Investigative Committee.

Salovarov said 204 people required some medical treatment after consuming the water, the source of which was a stagnant lake. He said, however, that it was too early to say what caused the illness.

Many Russians consider any water obtained on Epiphany — which they celebrate on Jan. 19 — to be holy.

The water is typically bottled for consumption later. Tap water in most of Russia is undrinkable.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25605.0.html

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
2Cor. 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
Moderated

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Julian Calender

« Reply #541 on: January 28, 2010, 03:27:03 AM »

January 25, 2009
Yahoo News

More than 100 Russian Orthodox believers have been hospitalized after drinking holy water during Epiphany celebrations in the eastern city of Irkutsk, an official said Monday.

A total of 117 people, including 48 children, were in the hospital complaining of acute intestinal pain after drinking water from wells in and around a local church last week, said Vladimir Salovarov, a spokesman for the Irkutsk Investigative Committee.

Salovarov said 204 people required some medical treatment after consuming the water, the source of which was a stagnant lake. He said, however, that it was too early to say what caused the illness.

Many Russians consider any water obtained on Epiphany — which they celebrate on Jan. 19 — to be holy.

The water is typically bottled for consumption later. Tap water in most of Russia is undrinkable.

Mexicans drinking tainted water NOT FUNNY

“The testimonies of the western teachers I neither recognize or accept. I surmise that they are corrupted.
There can be no compromise in matters of the Orthodox Faith.”

St Mark Of Ephesus, Doctor of the church. (True Church)

Down with ecumenism!
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
2Cor. 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
Moderated

« Reply #542 on: January 28, 2010, 03:32:47 AM »

The goal of this whole ecumenism is to bring about a new world order.

I hate to break it to you but the merger of various Churches and faiths is not going to bring about a "new world order".  We've seen various Churches and religion institutions continue to lose influence over the general public (with certain exceptions), and this is likely a trend that will continue.  Even in a world with a "First Amalgamated Church" like in Futurama, it would not have the ability to form some all-powerful collective that will bring about some sort of apocalypse.  It would pontificate to a public that really wasn't all too interested in listening.

With not a commun gospel I may agree with you, but the current problem and scandal of christianity is that when in mission lands the Gospel is proclamed by a catholic missionary then a protestant missionary pases anathemises catholic preacher, and then a Mormon, and an adventist. (orthodox don't use to mission so much). That is a scandal that goes against Christ. Division of christianity is the key weapon of Satan against God's will, to delay the inevitable conversion of the entire world to The Lord Jesus Christ.

Now, Catholicism and Orthodoxy need to unite to create a comun strategy of mission to the entire world, even to muslims. We need a comun strategy to show muslims how false is Mahoma as a prophet of the true God. and why Qur'an goes against the Bible. and the teaching of the old testament and the new testament. Bible Vs Qur'an. that is going to be the key of the strategy, despite all the saints we believe, the only way to convert muslims is to show them how far is Qur'an from the real teachings of the only God taught in the Bible.

Luke 21:35 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.

1Th. 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

2Cor. 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

1Th. 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

2Pet. 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

“The testimonies of the western teachers I neither recognize or accept. I surmise that they are corrupted.

Down with ecumenism!
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
Moderated

« Reply #543 on: January 28, 2010, 03:41:53 AM »

January 25, 2009
Yahoo News

You wouldnt be laughing if is happened to you.

Down with ecumenism!
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #544 on: January 28, 2010, 03:47:13 AM »

January 25, 2009
Yahoo News

You wouldnt be laughing if is happened to you.

GBMS,

I think you will find that Alonso_castillo is from Mexico where a case of "Montezuma's Revenge" from drinking the water is quite a frequent occurrence.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #545 on: January 28, 2010, 04:23:28 AM »

where a case of "Montezuma's Revenge" from drinking the water is quite a frequent occurrence.

Montezuma's Revenge is also known as Delhi Belly when it happens to travelers to India.  Not nice. Tongue
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:23:49 AM by LBK » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #546 on: January 28, 2010, 04:32:22 AM »

where a case of "Montezuma's Revenge" from drinking the water is quite a frequent occurrence.

Montezuma's Revenge is also known as Delhi Belly when it happens to travelers to India.  Not nice. Tongue

In Egypt, it's the "Curse of the Pharaohs".  And you are right, it's not nice at all!  laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #547 on: January 28, 2010, 04:48:08 AM »

Don't drink the water!  Drink beer instead Smiley

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #548 on: January 28, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »

Wow! A point upon which we can all agree!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #549 on: January 28, 2010, 01:36:47 PM »

This looks like bad news for Constantinople Patriarchate.

BRUCE CRUMLEY
Sunday, Jan. 24, 2010
TIME Magazine

Though not even two decades have passed since the Soviet state collapsed in 1991, the Orthodox Russians who came to France to flee communism say they're starting to view Moscow with mistrust again. The reason: the recent move by Russia to take control of a dazzling Orthodox cathedral built in Nice during the reign of Czar Nicholas II, which some opponents say is part a wider, nationalistic power play by Moscow to regain symbols of Russia's historical, cultural and religious grandeur abroad.

The tussle centers on the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas — a breathtaking church topped with spires and domes that was built in 1912 on land that Nicholas' grandfather Alexander II had purchased half a century earlier. Initially intended as a place of worship for the Russian aristocrats and industrialists who flocked to the Côte d'Azur before the 1917 Russian Revolution, the cathedral became a spiritual and cultural focal point for the mass of exiles who fled to Nice during the Soviet era. Since the fall of communism nearly 19 years ago, the so-called white Russian community and its offspring have been joined by Russian jet-setters who've grown extremely wealthy under the country's current leadership and bought pricey mansions in Nice to use as their second homes.

To the Russian diaspora, as well as the 85,000 paying tourists who visit the church every year, the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas has represented a slice of Mother Russia on the shores of the Mediterranean. And that's exactly the logic the Russian government used to win a court case in France on Jan. 20 that recognized Moscow's ownership of the church. The Nice Russian Orthodox Cultural Association (ACOR), which managed the church under a 99-year lease it signed with the czarist regime in 1909, had maintained that it effectively inherited the cathedral when Russia's royal family was executed during the revolution. But the court upheld the Russian government's position that since the czarists had bought the land and built the church using state money, the cathedral remains the property of the Russian government, meaning that Moscow could legally reclaim it now that ACOR's lease has expired. Decades of Soviet uninterest in the property, the court decided, did not undermine Russia's entitlement to it today.

ACOR, which says it will appeal the ruling, has derided the case as yet another attempt by Russian leaders to manipulate the Orthodox Church for political and nationalistic purposes. Under the Soviet regime, communist leaders enlisted Russian Orthodox officials to fan patriotism and encourage support for the state among the population, in return for which the authorities held back from stamping out the religion for good. Now detractors say that Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and his government allies are similarly seeking to gain public support by reclaiming relics of Russia's former greatness abroad to stoke patriotism among voters.

"It's a tradition that goes back to Ivan the Terrible and Peter the Great, in which political leaders used symbols of Russian grandeur — including an entirely submissive church — to create greater support for the regime," says Jean Gueit, rector of the Nice cathedral. "Russian society has been so disoriented and adrift following the changes of the past 20 years that Putin is playing the old nationalist game to snap people out of it by responding to simplistic messages and emotions. Part of that is rebuilding the equally shattered Russian Orthodox Church and help it snatch up all these parishes abroad."

Indeed, the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas is not the only prize catching Moscow's eye. Last year Italy agreed to cede ownership of a similarly spectacular cathedral in Bari to the Russian Orthodox Church, and the year before that, Paris did the same with a cathedral there. And last October, Israel agreed to turn over a building in Jerusalem known as "Sergei's Courtyard" that was constructed in 1890 to accommodate Russian pilgrims to the Holy Land. Moscow is also currently in a legal battle over control of London's St. Andrews Cathedral, home to a large Orthodox congregation.

But Moscow's drive isn't just about real estate and nationalism. Critics say the government is also trying to bring back into the fold the congregations that broke with the Russian Orthodox Church during the Soviet era to join a rival Orthodox branch, the Patriarchate of Constantinople — as the faithful in Nice did in 1931. Many of these overseas congregations have started to restore their ties to the Russian Orthodox Church in recent years, though Gueit says this is only in response to the government's putting the squeeze on their churches.

The Nice congregation isn't planning to rejoin the Russian church anytime soon. In fact, Gueit says the congregation wants to stake out an independent, pan-Orthodox position by breaking with the Constantinople Patriarchate too. He hopes to then attract other congregations to his nonaligned movement — whether he has a cathedral to use as his base or not.

Besides TIME being descredited as a "news" outlet (did you notice the coverage on JP II"s death and the current status of his church?), why do you latch on a sentence which has very little to do with the rest of the article?  Could it be that trouble is coming not for Constantinople, but the Vatican's plans on the Orthodox?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Arquidiósesis de Guadalajara (México)

Me when younger

« Reply #550 on: January 28, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »

Besides TIME being descredited as a "news" outlet (did you notice the coverage on JP II"s death and the current status of his church?), why do you latch on a sentence which has very little to do with the rest of the article?  Could it be that trouble is coming not for Constantinople, but the Vatican's plans on the Orthodox?

Can you explain more your commens?

Nisi Dominus aedificaverit Domum
in vanum laboraverunt qui aedifcant eam
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem
frustra vigilant qui custodit Eam
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #551 on: January 28, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »

Can you explain more your commens?
Anything in particular?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
Moderated

« Reply #552 on: January 28, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »

yeah demonic ecstacy is great...

That's what St Maximos the Confessor calls it when someone is drunk....

Here is some advice for everyone:

Prov. 23:29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
Prov. 23:30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
Prov. 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Prov. 23:32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
Prov. 23:33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
Prov. 23:34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
Prov. 23:35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again. '

If I only knew this before I had started to go wild in my teen years...  Sad

Down with ecumenism!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #553 on: January 28, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »

Who said anything about getting drunk? Huh
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #554 on: January 28, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »

In Egypt, it's the "Curse of the Pharaohs".  And you are right, it's not nice at all!  laugh
Different names for a Giardia infection?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #555 on: January 28, 2010, 04:56:06 PM »

GBMS,

I think you will find that Alonso_castillo is from Mexico where a case of "Montezuma's Revenge" from drinking the water is quite a frequent occurrence.

Montezuma's Revenge was also one of my favorite video games growing up! Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #556 on: January 28, 2010, 04:59:30 PM »

Prov. 23:29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
Prov. 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Prov. 23:33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
Prov. 23:34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
Prov. 23:35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again. '

If you read the next quotes, you will see that the problem with wine is not the wine itself, but to drink too much wine. Unfortunatelly some people can't control themselves. but it is not a Sin to drink wine.

Luke 7:33-34
John 2:1-11
John 4:46
Romans 14:20-21
Ephesians 5:18.
1 Timothy 3:8
1 Timothy 5:23
Titus 2:3

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #557 on: January 28, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »

It's never too late to learn moderation.  Wink

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #558 on: January 28, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »

In more ways than one.  Wink

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #559 on: January 28, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »

In more ways than one.  Wink

Indeed!  Grin

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #560 on: January 28, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »

Ughhhh! It happened to me when I was in Mexico this summer.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #561 on: January 28, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Did it ruin your trip?

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #562 on: January 29, 2010, 11:56:09 AM »

When you are comming to México, just don't drink tap water, It is chlorinated but some little towns are not quite careful about this, here in méxico we all drink bottled Water, just you do the same.

Also, if you are not used to eat spicy food, avoid mole.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #563 on: January 29, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »

Pagan Rome + Christian persecution + Roman Catholicism  +  Papal inquisitions (more Christian murders) + Ecumenism = NEW WORLD ORDER AND THE KINGDOM OF THE ANTI-CHRIST  Nothing New Under the Sun
There. I have fixed it. Smiley
We must not operate either out of fear nor panic, as I see most people with "apocalyptic" ideas do. Why should the Christians in the days of the Antichrist do anything different to the Christians of the first, second, third.......21st centuries? Our duty is is to love God with all our heart, mind, soul and body and to love our neighbour as ourself. Nothing in this duty of ours changes even if we are standing in the throne-room of the Antichrist himself. Our duty as Christians is still the same no matter what, so why the panic? And if we are weak and experience panic in difficult situations, we should at least try not to communicate our panic to others.

Pope visit synogonue?!
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01/17/italy.pope.synagigue/index.html

Something really fishy here.
2Cor. 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Phil. 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Mt 9:35
Acts 13:5,14
Acts 14:1
Acts 17: 1-2,17
Acts 18:1,4-6
Acts 18:19
Acts 19:1,8

Hope this is enough for you to know that the Gospel needs to be proclamed among those who do not believe.

It is necesary to proclame Christ among Jews:

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #564 on: January 29, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Did it ruin your trip?
Nope. I still had a great time.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #565 on: January 29, 2010, 01:03:28 PM »

When you are comming to México, just don't drink tap water, It is chlorinated but some little towns are not quite careful about this, here in méxico we all drink bottled Water, just you do the same.

Also, if you are not used to eat spicy food, avoid mole.
Alonso, I am from New Mexico, so I am very comforatable with Spicy food. In fact, I find mole to be quite delicious. Smiley

Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #566 on: January 29, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »

In fact, I find mole to be quite delicious. Smiley

I had no idea that moles were spicy!  Grin
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #567 on: January 29, 2010, 02:08:31 PM »

Pagan Rome + Christian persecution + Roman Catholicism  +  Papal inquisitions (more Christian murders) + Ecumenism = NEW WORLD ORDER AND THE KINGDOM OF THE ANTI-CHRIST  Nothing New Under the Sun
There. I have fixed it. Smiley
We must not operate either out of fear nor panic, as I see most people with "apocalyptic" ideas do. Why should the Christians in the days of the Antichrist do anything different to the Christians of the first, second, third.......21st centuries? Our duty is is to love God with all our heart, mind, soul and body and to love our neighbour as ourself. Nothing in this duty of ours changes even if we are standing in the throne-room of the Antichrist himself. Our duty as Christians is still the same no matter what, so why the panic? And if we are weak and experience panic in difficult situations, we should at least try not to communicate our panic to others.

Pope visit synogonue?!
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01/17/italy.pope.synagigue/index.html

Something really fishy here.
2Cor. 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Phil. 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Mt 9:35
Acts 13:5,14
Acts 14:1
Acts 17: 1-2,17
Acts 18:1,4-6
Acts 18:19
Acts 19:1,8

Hope this is enough for you to know that the Gospel needs to be proclamed among those who do not believe.

It is necesary to proclame Christ among Jews:

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/CAI/Images/200903/SaintBasilGreekOrthodoxChurch-00903-004a.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/329585958_057d7fd199.jpg

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #568 on: January 29, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »

In fact, I find mole to be quite delicious. Smiley

I had no idea that moles were spicy!  Grin
prounouced mol-ay. lol

Get_Behind_Me_Satan
Moderated

« Reply #569 on: January 30, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »

Yes, ethnical tensions, so orthodox, nothing of catholicism is left there.

Orthodoxy is Catholicism.

Roman Catholicism is an adultereated form of Christianity.
The Vatican state is like a dictatorship simlilar to hitler.
I will have nothing to do with those wolves

Down with ecumenism!
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #570 on: January 30, 2010, 12:27:14 AM »

How about with moles?

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #571 on: January 30, 2010, 12:35:52 AM »

This thread was missing a good reference to the Nazis or two.  Godwin never disappoints.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #572 on: January 30, 2010, 01:29:19 AM »

This thread is just a bad dream.
Repeat after me everyone: "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home. ...."

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #573 on: January 30, 2010, 03:07:38 AM »

Are we in Kansas?

Are we there yet (as said to Papa Smurf)?
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #574 on: January 31, 2010, 01:50:39 AM »

I have always been impressed how the Orthodox countries have always been known for the degree of religious tolerance which they offered, as opposed to the absolute intolerance shown to minority faiths in Western lands.

In Constantinople, there was a Mosque for Muslims built long before the Turks took over.  Likewise, Russia allowed Jews, Tartars, and Catholics to practice their faith and build houses of worship on their soil.  Compare that to the blood wars and inquisitions that the RC and protestant  nations imposed on those they considered dissidents

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #575 on: January 31, 2010, 01:54:27 AM »

I have always been impressed how the Orthodox countries have always been known for the degree of religious tolerance which they offered, as opposed to the absolute intolerance shown to minority faiths in Western lands.

In Constantinople, there was a Mosque for Muslims built long before the Turks took over.  Likewise, Russia allowed Jews, Tartars, and Catholics to practice their faith and build houses of worship on their soil. 

Hmm, I can think of a few episodes from Russian history that don't support such a rosy picture. Remember that the word "pogrom" comes from Russian...

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #576 on: January 31, 2010, 01:55:13 AM »

What does that have to do with my statement?

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #577 on: May 21, 2010, 05:54:30 AM »

Oops. Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:55:37 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Tags: Ravenna Cyprus ecumenism 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: