OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:34:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lectionary on Old and New Calendars  (Read 6203 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« on: January 15, 2010, 02:43:45 AM »

So are the lectionary readings the same throughout Orthodoxy regardless of being on the Julian Calendar or the Revised-Julian Calendar because they are based on the movable feasts which are uniform throughout Orthodoxy?

If this is correct, does that mean that the readings in the liturgy are the same every Sunday in all Orthodox Churches (aside from maybe Western Rite), but that the saints commemorated are different?

I suppose if this is the case that the readings might be different depending on when the Great Feasts which are fixed are celebrated, as they probably have accompanying readings.

Anyway, I'm doing too much speculation before the initial question is answered,
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:39:49 AM »

Only during the Paschal cycle, when the Churches which are on the Revised Julian Calendar, revert to the Old Calendar for the common celebration of Pascha and related moveable feasts.  In the other periods of the year, the Churches which follow the Revised Julian Calendar, are 13 days ahead of those which have remained on the Julian Calendar.  The readings, commemoration of saints, etc., are the same, but the date is observed on different days. As some Old Calendarists say, "Some feast, while others fast," unfortunately.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 04:54:15 AM »

This begs the question: where can I find an OO lectionary?

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 05:03:37 AM »

Selam

Here's a pretty nice Coptic lectionary:

http://www.copticchurch.net/classes/getLectionary.php

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:07:08 AM »

Selam

Here's a pretty nice Coptic lectionary:

http://www.copticchurch.net/classes/getLectionary.php

Cool. Thanks. Smiley

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 07:48:11 AM »

Only during the Paschal cycle, when the Churches which are on the Revised Julian Calendar, revert to the Old Calendar for the common celebration of Pascha and related moveable feasts.  In the other periods of the year, the Churches which follow the Revised Julian Calendar, are 13 days ahead of those which have remained on the Julian Calendar.  The readings, commemoration of saints, etc., are the same, but the date is observed on different days. As some Old Calendarists say, "Some feast, while others fast," unfortunately.

Actually, since the lectionary is based on Pascha (as the OT says, "This shall be for you the first of months...") except when preempted by the Nativity cycle and other feasts, the readings are the same, as they are based on Pentacoast, which of course is based on Pascha.  One reason, perhaps, why the New Calendarists didn't go all the way.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »

What about the the "Lukan Jump"?

This is the interruption of the reading of the Gospel of Matthew after the Elevation of the Holy Cross. This is the middle of September near the Conception of the Forerunner John. (This usually happens around the 18th Sunday after Pentecost).  I would think that the readings would diverge then.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:47:40 PM by AWR » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »

This is the interruption of the reading of the Gospel of Matthew after the Elevation of the Holy Cross. This is the middle of September near the Conception of the Forerunner John. (This usually happens around the 18th Sunday after Pentecost).  I would think that the readings would diverge then.

I was just about to say the same thing. Smiley

It's my understanding that this is something the Slavs do, but not the Greeks.

Is this correct?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »

I was just about to say the same thing. Smiley

It's my understanding that this is something the Slavs do, but not the Greeks.

Is this correct?

I think that it is the other way around. Once everyone did the jump, but then the Slavs stopped.  In resent times, most Slavs returned to the jump.

But for Old and New Calendars, the first Monday after the first Sunday, after the Cross (the day to jump) is not the same.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:44:38 PM by AWR » Logged
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 05:51:54 PM »

This is correct.   The "Sunday readings" are the same for all from Zacchaeus Sunday through the Holy Cross (i.e. roughly Feb.-Sept).  After the cross, there are 3 distinct possibilities which cause divergence until the return of the next Zacchaeus Sunday:  Lukan jump NC, Lukan jump OC, and non-Lukan jump OC.   
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:44:13 PM »

In my Byzantine Catholic Metropolia there was no Lukan jump until a few years back when it was reintroduced.  The Lectionary hasn't been reprinted though and the 18th Sunday after Pentecost starts the Sunday reading of the Gospel of St. Luke.  The daily reading begins the Monday after the 17th Sunday after Pentecost.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »

Does anyone know when the Slavic churches (I assume those that follow the Mar El Sabbas Typikon) ceased recognizing the Lukan jump?  And when/which jurisdictions then reintroduced it?  Is this something recent that happened with the council called in 1924?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 10:40:45 PM »

Does anyone know when the Slavic churches (I assume those that follow the Mar El Sabbas Typikon) ceased recognizing the Lukan jump?  And when/which jurisdictions then reintroduced it?  Is this something recent that happened with the council called in 1924?

I would think that the calendar would not make any difference except on Great Feasts, because the lectionary depends on the date of Pascha, which is the same regardless of which calendar the parish uses. The Tone of the week would also be the same because when we begin the cycle depends on the date of Pentecost.

Fr. John W. Morris
Tags: lectionary old calendar New Calendar calendar 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: