OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:41:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Baptism in Greece  (Read 1767 times) Average Rating: 0
theotokos

Faith: former muslim want to be an orthodox

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« on: January 14, 2010, 06:01:56 AM »

Hello dear people,

I'm back after a long long time. I was super busy with school so I did not really have time to spend time online. Anyways I'm back with new questions  Cheesy

I will go to Athens next year for 5 months and I want to get my baptism done there(after the theological education). The reason I want to be baptized at Athens is in Istanbul you have to apply to the Ecumenical Patriarchate to get baptized. It's super super hard to get accepted and the percentage of people getting accepted there is really low. I'm not afraid of that, but many people, even people at my church, recommend me to get baptized outside of Turkey. Turkish law code makes it almost impossible to get baptized at the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

So what I'm wondering is would anyone suggest me a nice friendly church to join and get baptized at Athens. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Smiley  angel

ἡ ἀγάπη ἀνυπόκριτος. ἀποστυγοῦντες τὸ πονηρόν, κολλώμενοι τῶ ἀγαθῶ·
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:05:54 AM »

God bless you on your journey!

There's an application process for baptism in Turkey?  Beyond just talking to your priest and becoming a catechumen?  What does it entail?
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 06:15:09 AM »

God bless you on your journey!

There's an application process for baptism in Turkey?  Beyond just talking to your priest and becoming a catechumen?  What does it entail?

Yes there's an application process. Turkish law system assumes that the Partiarchate has rights on only Greek minority, it's not yet considered as Ecumenical. Therefore if someone wants to be an Orthodox Christian in Turkey than this makes the application a must. Yes once you get accepted the Patriarchate provides you a priest.
For the details of the process they don't really tell you, you must apply first then you learn it gradually.  Smiley

GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:27:14 AM »

So, you have to apply to the government first?  You don't have to be ethnically Greek do you?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 06:29:40 AM »

Do you yet have a priest whom you consult with?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 07:13:58 AM »

Do you yet have a priest whom you consult with?
I went to church once to talk about that and the priest told me that he could not do anything, if I wanted to get baptized in Turkey then I must apply to the Ecumenical Patriarchate. He told me that If I get baptized outside of Turkey than the formal procedure would be easier, only a priest would be enough for the cathecism.
So, you have to apply to the government first?  You don't have to be ethnically Greek do you?

No not the government, to the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Well, if you are ethnically Greek than you would be considered a part of the church so you would not need a formal application procedure. As I said according to the Turkish Law, the Patriarchate has only rights on the Greek minority living in Turkish Republic borders. If the Patriarchate was considered Ecumenical, it would be easier for non-Greeks to get an Orthodox baptism. Smiley

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 07:44:27 AM »

Hello dear people,

I'm back after a long long time. I was super busy with school so I did not really have time to spend time online. Anyways I'm back with new questions  Cheesy

I will go to Athens next year for 5 months and I want to get my baptism done there(after the theological education). The reason I want to be baptized at Athens is in Istanbul you have to apply to the Ecumenical Patriarchate to get baptized. It's super super hard to get accepted and the percentage of people getting accepted there is really low. I'm not afraid of that, but many people, even people at my church, recommend me to get baptized outside of Turkey. Turkish law code makes it almost impossible to get baptized at the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

So what I'm wondering is would anyone suggest me a nice friendly church to join and get baptized at Athens. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Smiley  angel

I wonder if Theophilos78 can comment.  I seem to recall that he was baptized in the Southeast of the Turkish Republic.  Although I recall it was by the hand of an Arab priest, I don't reacall if he was EP or Antiochian.  I wonder if it may not be easier, if you can go to the Southeast, which is under the jurisdiction of Antioch, not the EP.  It seems that Antioch is off the radar on government restrictions on these sorts of things (though fully under the ban on non-Turkish-Latin scripts: the service books are Arabic but in Latin characters).  Bless.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:16 AM »

Oh, that's why he insists so bad Turkey recognizing him as an Ecumenical Patriarch, hmm...
That also explains his words; "Every day I am being crucified in Turkey.", sad story.

I live in Athens, but I'm not an expert. I know a certain priest (not personally, but I can get his phone easily) who is excellent, he also has an amazing radio show. Most of them can speak English properly, not a big deal.
Every temple is so not-modern in Athens, so any will just do. I recommend avoiding expensive and big churches, choose a small and nice one. For practical reasons. And because they're cuter. Tongue

So, have you chosen a name yet? Grin

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »

welcome back! Love the avatar.
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »

Oh, that's why he insists so bad Turkey recognizing him as an Ecumenical Patriarch, hmm...
That also explains his words; "Every day I am being crucified in Turkey.", sad story.

I live in Athens, but I'm not an expert. I know a certain priest (not personally, but I can get his phone easily) who is excellent, he also has an amazing radio show. Most of them can speak English properly, not a big deal.
Every temple is so not-modern in Athens, so any will just do. I recommend avoiding expensive and big churches, choose a small and nice one. For practical reasons. And because they're cuter. Tongue

So, have you chosen a name yet? Grin

Well that's sad but true. Minorities are not that well treated in Turkey. I have to admit that as a citizen of TR. Something good though even the law code doesn't really count him ecumenical there are many people who say any religion is ecumenical, and so is the patriarch.

Yea, I was thinking about smaller ones also, I don't know why but big ones kinda scares me...  Undecided
Hmm.. names? That's the last thing to do. There's a Turkish proverb saying "Don't roll up your pants before you see the river" so..I think the same. I have not yet seen the river Smiley I will hopefully next year  laugh

I wonder if Theophilos78 can comment.  I seem to recall that he was baptized in the Southeast of the Turkish Republic.  Although I recall it was by the hand of an Arab priest, I don't reacall if he was EP or Antiochian.  I wonder if it may not be easier, if you can go to the Southeast, which is under the jurisdiction of Antioch, not the EP.  It seems that Antioch is off the radar on government restrictions on these sorts of things (though fully under the ban on non-Turkish-Latin scripts: the service books are Arabic but in Latin characters).  Bless.

Oh I've already talked with him though. Going to Antioch might help but it would be really weird if I go to Antioch with no reason Wink Next year I'm planning to go to UoA with Erasmus so I will already be there for a long time and that time would be enough for me to learn the traditions and stuff...Staying at Antioch for 6 months would be found really weird in my family  Wink
I will tell my mom what I feel about those religious issues. But if the rest of my family knows that, they'll probably have a heart attack. Don't wanna do that.. Wink

welcome back! Love the avatar.

Çook teşekkür ederim Wink (Thank you veeerrryyy much in Turkish. I'm stressing the multiple y's Wink )
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:19:07 PM by theotokos » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: