OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:20:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Save a Bat  (Read 1415 times) Average Rating: 0
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: January 16, 2010, 09:43:47 PM »

The local fire department imploded an old building last week and hundreds of bats flew out.  One bat came into my laundry room and is living in my floor drain.  When he comes out he stays very close to this drain and retreats into it when I try to grab him (with thick gloves).  I have tried enticing him to move away from the crack with fruit and water without any success. I can't leave the windows open at night because 50 bats will come inside.  My husband is going to entomb him if I can't get him out tonight. Any ideas?  Thank you.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:04:32 PM »

Any chance you can slide a flattened cardboard box over drain quickly before he can flee back in?  Once he roosts outside of the drain, it will be a lot easier to catch.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 10:39:43 PM »

Good idea. I have been thinking about pushing him with a broom, but he looks so small and very fragile.

Where will it roost if I block off the drain?  Do they have to hang upside down? 
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 10:47:26 PM »

Good idea. I have been thinking about pushing him with a broom, but he looks so small and very fragile.

Where will it roost if I block off the drain?  Do they have to hang upside down?  
It really depends on the room.  Typically, they will try to find something to cling to and hang from (curtains being a favourite).  So after the bat is out of the drain and covered, leave the light on and it should try to roost.  After some time has passed, you should be able to either catch it in a towel or just using some thick gloves.

If your washer and dryer are side by side with a space in-between, and you see no other area it would probably roost, you could lay the broom across them and give it a place to cling to.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:50:47 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 11:34:22 PM »

Thank you so very much!  Smiley
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 03:56:04 AM »

Google & contact Bat Conservation International; they're the experts in such matters.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 04:01:32 AM »

Good luck to you.  I don't know what I'd do, as I find bats absolutely revolting.  The concept of a flying rodent is repulsive to me, which is strange because mice and rats don't really bother me.

* edit * It appears that bats are not actually classified as rodents, but as chiroptera.  I guess you learn something new everyday.

Other creatures that are rodents: squirrels, prairie dogs, and beavers.

Also, I had never heard of these, but the capybara is the largest living rodent in the world, and they can weigh up to 140 lbs.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:11:51 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 04:07:06 AM »

Good luck to you.  I don't know what I'd do, as I find bats absolutely revolting.  The concept of a flying rodent is repulsive to me, which is strange because mice and rats don't really bother me.
What!!? Shocked  You've never watched Johann Strauss II's operetta Die Fledermaus (lit. the flying mouse)?  (Then again, neither have I. Cool)
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 04:12:03 AM »

Good luck to you.  I don't know what I'd do, as I find bats absolutely revolting.  The concept of a flying rodent is repulsive to me, which is strange because mice and rats don't really bother me.
What!!? Shocked  You've never watched Johann Strauss II's operetta Die Fledermaus (lit. the flying mouse)?  (Then again, neither have I. Cool)

laugh I actually have seen it.  Tongue

I love bats.  I find them to be absolutely fascinating.  As cliche as it is, I would love to visit the Congress Avenue Bridge one day; bats around here are always so few in number.

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »

Also, I had never heard of these, but the capybara is the largest living rodent in the world, and they can weigh up to 140 lbs.
Capybaras are delightful creatures. They make good pets. When we lived in Paraguay, some neighbours had one as a pet. When the kids from that house came to play with our kids, the capybara often came along. Apparently, they're not hard to feed, and they are very clean and easy to clean up after. The hair is very coarse, and they have a slightly (but only very slightly) unpleasant odour.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »

"You think they'll hit you but they won't
You think they nest in your hair but they don't

You think that feathers is what they got
You think they are a bird, but they are not

The old adage 'Blind as a bat'
The truth is they can see, but not as good as you and me"

Grin

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »

Have you tried blood to lure him out? Just kidding...  Wink
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »

The bat hibernating in my drain didn’t roost on my broom or my curtains so I couldn’t grab him. The thin, attachment nozzle on the hose to my vacuum was able to pull him out of a crack near the floor drain. He will probably develop PTSD, but he is now outside and able to fly.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 04:36:57 PM »

lol, you used a vacuum hose to get him out? was it turned on??  Shocked
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »

Glad to hear he is now outside free.

I love bats.  I find them to be absolutely fascinating.  As cliche as it is, I would love to visit the Congress Avenue Bridge one day; bats around here are always so few in number.

I like bats a lot too and they are facinating. I don't see them a lot though but only a few times. I particularly like the flying fox since it has a face like a dog almost.

They are pretty cute.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 04:54:31 PM »

They are pretty cute.

Shocked

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »

Yes. My husband was convinced that the entire New World was in imminent danger from this bat  Shocked, so he had to be rescued quickly before my husband terminated him.  Tongue (Yes, I know they can carry rabies.)

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 06:32:54 PM »

Yes. My husband was convinced that the entire New World was in imminent danger from this bat  Shocked, so he had to be rescued quickly before my husband terminated him.  Tongue (Yes, I know they can carry rabies.)

Rabies or not (and in Egypt, they have no recorded instance of bat rabies for thousand of years), they still somewhat give me the creeps.  In parts of Egypt they roost in trees and walking along the Nile you will run into them.  Going up the stairway at the Temple of Denderah:it's invested with them, as are other ruins.  But they are just sort of there: I don't recall anyone ever being bitten.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 07:05:31 PM »

^Spooky, stinky, and unhealthy.

My grandfather owned a small dairy and the cousins would frequently play in the barn's hay loft.  (One could find many soft piles of baby kittens there in the spring/summer.  Smiley ) Almost all of us have been misdiagnosed with TB. Bats carry Histoplasmosis (pulmonary lesions that look like TB on xrays) and there were hundreds of bats in his barn.  

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:05:56 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »

They are pretty cute.

Some species are.

I have extensive experience with bats living in the walls of my childhood home. Every once in awhile one would get into my room. I have this hilarious story of my dad being sent into my sister's room with a fishnet and hockey mask, trying to catch a rogue bat. We promptly closed the door on him and listened gleefully to his shouts as he tried to corral the bat...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 08:40:18 PM »

Yes. My husband was convinced that the entire New World was in imminent danger from this bat 

We promptly closed the door on him and listened gleefully to his shouts as he tried to corral the bat...

Lol.  Smiley

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »

They are pretty cute.
I have this hilarious story of my dad being sent into my sister's room with a fishnet and hockey mask, trying to catch a rogue bat.

LOL! That image is gonna stay with me every time I see you post for a while! Cheesy

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: