OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:40:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Large icons on canvas  (Read 767 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »

Dear in Christ,

I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on hand-painted iconography for my chapel, nor do I like the look of eclectically-arranged mounted icon prints from Skete.com or HTM of various sizes and shapes dotting otherwise white walls. I have seen an example of an icon printed on canvas, and have now heard of a mission priest who actually used it extensively.  Basically, someone with a digital SLR camera took photographs of icons at extremely high resolution, and then they took them to a local printer who printed them up on canvas. The result is something that almost looks like a hand-painted icon to the average person.  These icons were mounted on walls in a pre-arranged manner that did not look cluttered.

Has anyone else heard of this or seen it? Recommendations for or against? Caveats?

I realize some might find the idea strange, but I don't see how it is much different than using mounted icon prints. But I am open to arguments against following this course of action along with accounts of those who have done it or seen it and thought it worked well.

in Christ,

Fr Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:45:07 PM »

I've been taught to understand that the materials used to make an icon are not so important (not to take anything away from iconographers who pray with every brushstroke) as is their being blessed and how we treat them.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:21:45 PM »

I realize some might find the idea strange, but I don't see how it is much different than using mounted icon prints.

I agree.  It's hard for me to see a difference.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:54:22 PM »

...an example of an icon printed on canvas....

Has anyone else heard of this or seen it?

I think this company offers what you describe:

All images are produced on superior quality artists canvas using an eight color process and light-fast inks resulting in an image worthy of veneration and designed to last for generations. The icon is completed with hand-laid 23k gold leaf in the appropriated areas (i.e. halos, borders, etc.) and sealed with a water and abrasion resistant clear finish. Icons are available mounted on a variety of wood materials or as a canvas roll ready for direct application to a smooth surface.

http://www.orthodoximages.com/quality.html
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:41:46 PM »

It's not what the icon is made of (hand-painted or printed) that's important, but its content must be canonical. A practical consideration: Photographing the icon for later reproduction must be done very carefully so as not to produce a distorted image. A minor variation in angle might not be perceptible to most eyes for a page-sized icon, but if enlarged to mural-sized, the distortion will be magnified greatly. A three-way spirit level on both tripod and icon are essential.
silouancampbell
Moderated

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: rocor

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:51:30 AM »

you should check out damascene gallery.  they are doing this exact thing, complete with ornaments, toweling, and full service photoshop layout.  may be just what you are looking for.  they have examples of their work on the homepage.
silouancampbell
Moderated

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: rocor

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »

Orthodox Christian Supply is offering large discounts to parishes in need.  they may be a good affordable option.  you should be able to find them online.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: