OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:52:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC Documentary on Ethiopia  (Read 3323 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: January 12, 2010, 08:41:57 PM »

I was watching this documentary on African civilisations on the BBC earlier. The episode on Ethiopia made a lot of references to Orthodoxy. It's well worth watching for those who can:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pzc1l/Lost_Kingdoms_of_Africa_Ethiopia/

One thing didn't sound right to me though. In the documentary, the presenter says Ethiopians make a kind of meed out of honey, which is both a national drink and the Communion wine used in the Liturgy. Could someone please clarify?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:51:54 PM »

Were they referring to Tej?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:20:50 PM »

Yes. Is this really used for Holy Communion?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »

Yes. Is this really used for Holy Communion?

Sorry, I don't know. I'm sure there are others on this forum who could answer that, though.

Is the idea curious to you because Tej appears to be made from honey rather than grapes?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:28:02 PM »

No. Tej is used as a celebratory drink after long fasts, such as Lent. It is fermented honey. Very sweet. The Eucharistic wine is actually made from raisins.

Selam  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:28:39 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »

Is the idea curious to you because Tej appears to be made from honey rather than grapes?

Yes. I had always understood that wheat, grape-wine, and water were non-negotiables.

No. Tej is used as a celebratory drink after long fasts, such as Lent. It is fermented honey. Very sweet. The Eucharistic wine is actually made from raisins.

Thank you, that makes more sense than what was said in the documentary.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:41:06 PM »

Yes. I had always understood that wheat, grape-wine, and water were non-negotiables.

I don't think water is mixed into the wine in all of the Oriental churches, actually. And there was no indication in the Gospels that it was done.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:47:59 PM »

I don't think water is mixed into the wine in all of the Oriental churches, actually. And there was no indication in the Gospels that it was done.

Sorry, I should have clarified. When I mentioned water, I was referring to the bread being made from wheat and water (I deliberately left leaven out since it's being discussed elsewhere) alone, without eggs, milk, sugar, etc.

But what you say is interesting. Which OO churches do not mix the wine with water? I realise that the adding of boiling water to symbolise the fervour of the Holy Spirit is a uniquely Byzantine practice, but I thought mixing wine with water during the preparation of the Holy Gifts to symbolise water and blood spilling from the wound of Christ on the Cross was a universal one.

It is certainly the practice in the Coptic Church. But that's the only OO liturgical tradition I've had any significant exposure to.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:48:57 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »

I've been told that it's not done in the Armenian church.

There was some thread that made some statement about the OO churches in general, so I don't know who besides the Armenians do.

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:55:02 PM »

The Armenian Church does not mix water with the Eucharistic wine.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:57:48 PM »

The Armenian Church does not mix water with the Eucharistic wine.

Are you the only ones?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 09:59:35 PM »

I think so.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »

From this thread:

"Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal: Have Mercy on Us."
-Amen-

Does the Ethiopian Church not include the "Who was crucified for us" in the Trisagion?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 01:19:37 AM »

From this thread:

-Amen-

Does the Ethiopian Church not include the "Who was crucified for us" in the Trisagion?

Good question. I'm afraid I don't know. The prayers I posted are a form of the Mequteria Prayers that were translated for me by brother Hiywot, I believe. But I am guessing that to include "Who was crucified for us" certainly cannot hurt.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »

From this thread:

-Amen-

Good question. I'm afraid I don't know. The prayers I posted are a form of the Mequteria Prayers that were translated for me by brother Hiywot, I believe. But I am guessing that to include "Who was crucified for us" certainly cannot hurt.

Well, it would depend on whether you interpreted the hymn to be Trinitarian or about Christ specifically.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 02:15:24 AM »

In the OO tradition, the hymn has always been interpreted as being about Christ.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 03:42:11 AM »

From this thread:

-Amen-

It would be a little odd if that was the case given that their mother church, the Coptic church, inserts the clause in the Trisagion.

(Though what I have experienced in Coptic churches is a reference to the birth in the first recitation, a reference to the crucifixion in the second, and a reference to the resurrection in the third.)

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 03:42:49 AM »

From this thread:

-Amen-

Well, it would depend on whether you interpreted the hymn to be Trinitarian or about Christ specifically.

The Trisagion is generally interpreted as Christological in the OO Tradition.

Hiywot

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »

From this thread:

-Amen-

The Ethiopian Church does include the "Who was crucified for us" in the Trisagion.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »

Thank you for the information.   Smiley

So should the prayer quoted above by Gebre Menfes Kidus have that phrase in it, after the word "Immortal," or is the prayer sometimes said without the phrase?

Hiywot

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 03:52:29 AM »

What is quoted by Gebre Menfes Qidus is the short form.

The actual prayer refers not only crucification but the birth, crucification, passion, death,and resurrection of Jesus. All, of course, after the word "Immortal".

Hiywot
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 04:42:13 AM »

What is quoted by Gebre Menfes Qidus is the short form.

The actual prayer refers not only crucification but the birth, crucification, passion, death,and resurrection of Jesus. All, of course, after the word "Immortal".

Hiywot

That seems to be more like what I've seen the Copts do.

Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church Armenian Church communion trisagion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: